Standing O to All Our Veterans! (1 Viewer)

Swimmer

Medsamust Saint Fan
Reaction score
On this Veterans Day, I will try to speak for us civilians.

Being a civilian, I had no idea of the depth of the contributions of our military until dating a retired Colonel. We all are aware of the ultimate sacrifice so many of our vets gave for our freedom. But the sacrifices of those in the military who support the troops is amazing also.

We would have no Sunday football, no FF football, no freedom without our Vets. From all us civilians, I want to extend our greatest respect and appreciation for your incredible contributions and sacrifices to our safety.

Being a civilian, I had no idea of the depth of the contributions of our military until dating a retired Colonel. We all are aware of the ultimate sacrifice so many of our vets gave for our freedom. But the sacrifices of those in the military who support the troops is amazing also.

We would have no Sunday football, no FF football, no freedom without our Vets. From all us civilians, I want to extend our greatest respect and appreciation for your incredible contributions and sacrifices to our safety.
As veteran in the Marines, thank you! Though the NFL commercials, in my opinion, are unnecessary and seem a little cheesy. Sorry for dampening your awesome post.

:beerchug::facts3::0056::plus-un:

As veteran in the Marines, thank you! Though the NFL commercials, in my opinion, are unnecessary and seem a little cheesy. Sorry for dampening your awesome post.

In high school , I had 4-years of Marine training, daily. We had to be able to take an M-16 apart and reassembled blindfolded in 2-minutes to pass sophomore year. We drilled every day. In no way am I a soldier, but when I stepped onto the Marine base in Ohau last week, I swelled with pride in all the young, ripped, confident Marines walking around the base. So I am a "play" Marine, not a real one and the real ones are always the 1st to hit the beach of hostile territories, fearless of huge danger they face. Wow - what a courageous and respectful sacrifice. Thx so much

On a humorous side note. My girlfriend is a retired Colonel. We parked in the spot that said "General-Colonel," at the PX. I wasn't thinking anything except going into the PX when a couple of dressed Marines stood at attention and gave me a salute. Having the high school training, I immediately saluted them and told them, "Soldiers, thanks for your service!" I didn't realize it at the moment that they thought I was likely a General. I got a huge laugh out of that. When I was a kid, I always wanted to be a General - lol.

... When I was a kid, I always wanted to be a General - lol.

Well, you attained that - you're a General Nuisance...

I kid, I kid.

And a shout out to all the spouses and children of those who serve/served.

Well, you attained that - you're a General Nuisance...

I kid, I kid.

And a shout out to all the spouses and children of those who serve/served.

Haha - VP, you know me well. Once I realized what had just happened and the young troops throught I was a former General or Colonel, every time I got out of the car in the General-Colonel parking spot, I saluted the troops and thanked them for their service. I think I could have gotten them to wash my car - lol. My girlfriend, the actual retried Colonel saw how much fun I was having and the potential for mischievousness (knowing me, how could she ever get that impression of a Who Dat Cajun - lol), she put an end to my playing General - rats

Thanks Swimmer I appreciate your post. To me veterans day used to be no big deal. But now when those who know me thank for me my service and my wife in particular, I tear up. Vets day truly is the greatest day of the year. Thanks to all those who are serving, have served or assist the military. You all are greatly appreciated.

In high school , I had 4-years of Marine training, daily. We had to be able to take an M-16 apart and reassembled blindfolded in 2-minutes to pass sophomore year. We drilled every day. In no way am I a soldier, but when I stepped onto the Marine base in Ohau last week, I swelled with pride in all the young, ripped, confident Marines walking around the base. So I am a "play" Marine, not a real one and the real ones are always the 1st to hit the beach of hostile territories, fearless of huge danger they face. Wow - what a courageous and respectful sacrifice. Thx so much

On a humorous side note. My girlfriend is a retired Colonel. We parked in the spot that said "General-Colonel," at the PX. I wasn't thinking anything except going into the PX when a couple of dressed Marines stood at attention and gave me a salute. Having the high school training, I immediately saluted them and told them, "Soldiers, thanks for your service!" I didn't realize it at the moment that they thought I was likely a General. I got a huge laugh out of that. When I was a kid, I always wanted to be a General - lol.
Nice little story. I have no regrets about the Marines. It was the best thing for me and will always cherish my time in it regardless of being a tool for corrupt politicians. The Marines had a huge influence on who I am today.

To me, one of the sacrifices rarely discussed, is the toll on the family relationship. I think many would be shocked to learn of the stress children and spouses suffer from repeated long term separation. I've known many a family who broke up and children who did not have a parent around during the critical years of their adolescence. These children are often emotionally damaged as adults and never seem to get whole. It doesn't happen the majority of the time, but it happens too often.

To me, one of the sacrifices rarely discussed, is the toll on the family relationship. I think many would be shocked to learn of the stress children and spouses suffer from repeated long term separation. I've known many a family who broke up and children who did not have a parent around during the critical years of their adolescence. These children are often emotionally damaged as adults and never seem to get whole. It doesn't happen the majority of the time, but it happens too often.
It happen to some that I knew while we were deployed. Tragedy.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom