Star Trek: Picard (1 Viewer)

Danleco

Travelin' Again
Reaction score
We finished it this week. I was underwhelmed by the story, since I've played both Mass Effect and Star Control 2, which have the exact same "alien uber-beings come to our peon galaxy to kill us all" plot.

And I didn't like the starship battles. Felt too much like Star Wars, with lighter, more agile fighters. Star Trek battles were bigger ships, like old naval battles.

More Star Trek is good though, so we'll watch another season. We really liked Discovery, so hopefully that next season is as good as the last one.

Saint_Ward

Don't be a Jerk.
Staff member
Administrator
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I just started watching this. Wow. Not reading anything in here. not what I was expecting. I'm hooked.

Xeno

Practice Squad
Reaction score
I made it through four episodes before calling it quits. Like Discovery, these writers don't seem to understand what Star Trek is about. They wanted it to be dark and gritty and "adult" and it all falls flat on its face for me.

Star Trek is supposed to present an optimistic vision of humanity's future. We've (mostly) overcome our prejudice and greed to set out into the galaxy. Picard throws that to the side with its premise. The idea of the Federation abandoning the Romulans is ridiculous, especially after the events of Deep Space 9. The Romulans were instrumental in defeating the Dominion, and the stage was set for actual peace between the Romulans and the Federation. Would there still be distrust and animosity? Sure, but even the Federation presented in DS9 wouldn't leave an entire race to die. And then Picard becoming persona non grata for pushing back against that? Probably the most decorated and respected officer in Starfleet history? I don't think so. And I'm completely ignoring everything about Picard's character in TNG that seems to be forgotten.

The writers of Discovery and Picard need to watch Deep Space 9 a few dozen times and learn how to do "dark" Trek properly. DS9 was full of shades of gray with characters who were multi-faceted and had complex motivations. It even had a more "human" Starfleet, rife with deceit and treachery. Discovery and Picard just have characters dropping unnecessary f-bombs and big explosions.

OP
SaintsBrazil

SaintsBrazil

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
Red Alert.
Shields.
Stand by unnecessary F-bombs.

Effengage.

Grandadmiral

Infinite Power is da ****
Reaction score
I made it through four episodes before calling it quits. Like Discovery, these writers don't seem to understand what Star Trek is about. They wanted it to be dark and gritty and "adult" and it all falls flat on its face for me.

Star Trek is supposed to present an optimistic vision of humanity's future. We've (mostly) overcome our prejudice and greed to set out into the galaxy. Picard throws that to the side with its premise. The idea of the Federation abandoning the Romulans is ridiculous, especially after the events of Deep Space 9. The Romulans were instrumental in defeating the Dominion, and the stage was set for actual peace between the Romulans and the Federation. Would there still be distrust and animosity? Sure, but even the Federation presented in DS9 wouldn't leave an entire race to die. And then Picard becoming persona non grata for pushing back against that? Probably the most decorated and respected officer in Starfleet history? I don't think so. And I'm completely ignoring everything about Picard's character in TNG that seems to be forgotten.

The writers of Discovery and Picard need to watch Deep Space 9 a few dozen times and learn how to do "dark" Trek properly. DS9 was full of shades of gray with characters who were multi-faceted and had complex motivations. It even had a more "human" Starfleet, rife with deceit and treachery. Discovery and Picard just have characters dropping unnecessary f-bombs and big explosions.
Don't know if I agree with this. Insurrection showed the Federation had not so good side when the were willing to violate the Prime Directive itself in order to create the Fountain of Youth.

Now, I will admit I am somewhat biased as DS9 is my least favorite Trek show. But that's just me.

OP
SaintsBrazil

SaintsBrazil

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
I disliked season 1. I am not enthusiastic about season 2.

Grandadmiral

Reaction score
Took long enough. I'm here for this...

Optimus Prime

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I always wished that they had done a Next Generation Q movie, would have been better than Nemesis

Another wish was a TNG Mirror Universe episode

Grandadmiral

Reaction score
I always wished that they had done a Next Generation Q movie, would have been better than Nemesis

Man, they did one in the comic book world that was scary good and ruthless, particularly Data.

Saint_Ward

Don't be a Jerk.
Staff member
Administrator
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score

Maybe, but I think Q is a character that needs time to breath. He's always been far more interesting on the show, often because they've given it time to explore.

bonnjer

Let the Wins Count begin!
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
We've only really ever seen him in an episode here and there. His presence over the course of a season would be much more intriguing.

Optimus Prime

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Maybe, but I think Q is a character that needs time to breath. He's always been far more interesting on the show, often because they've given it time to explore.
I would think a movie would give more time to explore

other than the series premiere and finale I think all the Q appearances were in stand alone episodes

a two hour movie would allow more room for the character and story

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

New Orleans Saints Twitter Feed

Headlines

Top Bottom