Star Wars 9 rise of sky walker [Spoilers] (1 Viewer)

I would recommend anyone who is on the fence about it to go see it. I've laid out my problems with the movie and stand by them, but I in no way feel the more extreme "OMG THIS IS THE WORST THING EVER!!!" reviews are accurate. It's an unquestionably deeply flawed film (especially in the areas of of editing and structure, which did shock me) but there is enjoyment to be had.

And in fact, reflecting on it for 24 hours or so, I think I maybe liked more of it than I originally thought. Last night I was completely focused on what didn't work, but today I did find my thoughts drifting toward specific scenes or story beats that I liked. I think in a perfect world we got an Episode VIII that was a setup for this film, and this one didn't have to split it's time and energy trying to be a movie and a sequel to that movie at the same time.

I think it's possible to both recognize something as broken and still find value in it, and I think that's where I am at the moment. I can't dispute a single reasonable criticism thrown the movie's way (and made many myself) but at the same time if I were to sit here and pretend I hated it, I'd be lying. It's pretty odd.

Saw it yesterday. It did seem like damn why did I look everywhere for the lost keys when all I had to do was look in the door ,doh homer Simpson moment for a bit. Who knew the x wing etc was there the whole time kind of stupid,(someone did) but other than that I think it was just as good as force awakens. I didn't think it was a waste of time or money. Thinking about seeing it again next week actually.

For me, it was okay. It wasn't bad. It wasn't great. Much better than TLJ, but that isn't hard to do. There are several things I would have changed, but I won't go into spoilers at this point.

Looks to be a $190 million opening. Not too shabby
Not too shabby, but they were originally projecting for $200+ million. Will be interesting to see if this has legs in the coming weeks or if it tanks.

Not too shabby, but they were originally projecting for $200+ million. Will be interesting to see if this has legs in the coming weeks or if it tanks.

I suspect it’ok do about $900 million. Not as high as you’d like the capstone Skywalker movie to make, but more than enough to justify more Star Wars movies

Actually thinking about it, if it makes less than Joker and Aladdin that would be a disappointment

Saw it a second time. On my phone, so it will be hard to do this well.

Non spoilers first. Spoilers will be tagged. You've been warned.

Again, I enjoyed the movie. It was entertaining. I liked most of the acting. The main character arcs were good and cohesive. Honestly, I was good with TLJ, and I think JJ did a masterful job taking what he started with and what RJ did to weave it all together.

And lastly, I really loved the cinematography. Not a ton of over done CGI. Lots of real or real looking sets. Lots of 'environment' usage too.

Ok, spoiler time.

Let me start with the big reveal that isn't directly revealed, but the audience should mostly figure out....

Finn is force sensitive.

I didn't realize it on my first watching. I thought he just wanted to tell Rey he loves her. And he may still. But I think he was trying to tell her he could feel the force. He kept talking about having 'a feeling'. Simple enough, but later, he clearly felt through the force that the command ship took over the broadcast. The music cue gave it away too, now that I was more focused on music.

They are definitely set up for future movies with this group. Or at least spin offs.

I think JJ did a masterful job using what Rian Johnson did with the story, and keeping elements he set up.

Who is Snoke and how did he rise to power out of nowhere? Palpatine created him as a clone and set him up to take over. Probably at least until Rey could be found.

Who are Rey's parents? Nobody... by choice. But it was Palpatine's Son, so she is his granddaughter. That explains the tugs to the dark side (granted most Jedi deal with that to a point). Heck that mirror area on the last death star was the same set up as the underground cave where she went in TLJ.

JJ totally stole the whole force projection idea and took it further. The idea that they had a bond that was a nexus allowed for some powerful moments. The ability for things to be passed through that connection set up a pretty cool scene. And it was very similar in spirit to how Snoke got it in TLJ. Lots of patterns to the stories.

Leia DID train, but saw something that scared her, so she stopped. Just like Luke eventually made a similar wrong decision, and then Rey was going to run and make the same wrong decision until stopped.

People will (rightfully?) take that crack about treating a light saber better, but I saw it more as Luke's humor about how he was wrong and she shouldn't quit. It isn't your family bloodlines that matter.. it is who you are on the inside. Your spirit, not blood. I.e. you're not destined to be good or bad.

I liked the Mandolorian tie in with the snake worm thing. Which, became a major movie plot device.

I did sort of laugh when Ben climbs out of that pit... "the rise of Skywalker ... pretty on the nose..haha" of course, that's not it.

I did groan at the Medal bit with Maz and Chewie. However, I appreciate they dont make you think chewie is dead for too long. I was gonna get P'Oed.

I think Finn had a better purpose. I like his arc through 3 movies, Poe had a great arc through all 3, but Rey and Kylo are the central two. They are pretty much Romeo and Juliet, but not as stupid. Their story really is connected through all three.

Where I'd have added time was the last moment between Rey and Palpatine. I actually love that she Mace Windu'ed him, but I felt like it was too quick and the CGI wasnt quite the best. Maybe that's why they rushed it? Get the bad looking part off the screen fast? I also think while the Jedi voices were great, I'd have appreciated seeing it in some way. Either they all were visually behind her, or maybe a slight aura. I dunno.

I do think JJ clearly thought Rose wasn't important. She isn't. Add a few side characters, but keep the story focused on the mains. And I loved the two major additions. Finally saw the knights of Ren...

And Hux being pushed too far and flipping. Knew the 'curr' would eventually bite back. Sick of being pushed around. I didn't think he would be the spy, but I knew he was up to something. So, I guess that should have been obvious.

I liked Lando. Just the right amount. Good usage.

And perfect circle for Ben/Han. Such a nice moment, and repurposing a lot of the same dialogue. As well as they silent 'I love you're followed with the 'I know'. Just great.

And people forgot the x wing was there? They showed it in both movies. One for sure, but think both.

I'll take what I posted on Facebook and put it here:

Look, the sequel trilogy was a mess, mostly because TLJ was so out of place from a tone and story stand point.

However, Rise of Skywalker is a good movie that brought back the feel of Star Wars and gave a fitting end to all the old and new characters. There's a lot I would have done differently but I think for the first time JJ Abrams may have given something a good ending.

It was a really fun time. I'll see it again in theaters.

There were a lot of head-scratching choices and one plot point that ran through the movie then they just seemed to forget about it, but overall I had fun and will see it again.

To be honest I don’t know how you can be a Star Wars fan and not enjoy this movie.
i think you have to be a big star wars fan. i am a star wars fan, and i honestly thought it was ok. i'm more bonered out on mando.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom