Star Wars 9 rise of sky walker [Spoilers] (2 Viewers)

if anyone cares, you can buy Rise of Skywalker this week on iTunes for 9.99, as well as all the SW movies

My opinion is mostly unchanged after a second viewing. I might like it a little more. There's still a "what could have been" vibe with this whole trilogy, but I think RoS does the best it can with the rubble left from TLJ. I'll still never forgive Kathleen Kennedy for allowing these movies to be made with no clear vision/plan on what they would be and where they were going.

My opinion is mostly unchanged after a second viewing. I might like it a little more. There's still a "what could have been" vibe with this whole trilogy, but I think RoS does the best it can with the rubble left from TLJ. I'll still never forgive Kathleen Kennedy for allowing these movies to be made with no clear vision/plan on what they would be and where they were going.

100% this. And if they ever did have that vision, they lost it during TFA. I wouldn't trust Kennedy with another SW project again. This certainly wasn't one of her shining accomplishments.

I haven't really commented much on ROS, so a couple of quick comments. One, it was a good bit better than TLJ. The action sequences I thought were pretty good. Plenty of light saber fights, which I thought were fun. But from a story telling perspective, I don't know. Just hard to fill things in after the mess of TLJ.

ROS just left me asking a lot of questions and the ending was a convoluted mess imo. I understand why, but I just felt like more could have been done.

I haven't really commented much on ROS, so a couple of quick comments. One, it was a good bit better than TLJ. The action sequences I thought were pretty good. Plenty of light saber fights, which I thought were fun. But from a story telling perspective, I don't know. Just hard to fill things in after the mess of TLJ.

ROS just left me asking a lot of questions and the ending was a convoluted mess imo. I understand why, but I just felt like more could have been done.
"A convoluted mess" is a good way to describe the sequel trilogy. They put too much effort into cranking out product and not enough into crafting a satisfying story to wrap it around. With as much money as they had to spend and the return of the original characters they could have made something really great that built on the Star Wars legacy. Instead we got something just kind of "meh" and completely disposable.

I thought it was better on a second viewing, but there are still glaring issues. Knowing the "twist" ahead of time puts more of the character's actions in perspective.

I thought it was better on a second viewing, but there are still glaring issues. Knowing the "twist" ahead of time puts more of the character's actions in perspective.

I actually liked the twist in the end. I could see it coming in a way, but it just got overshadowed by a lot of the other parts of the movie. ROS isn't a bad movie imo. Just handicapped by TLJ and poorly told story.

I enjoyed the action. On it's own, it's actually a pretty fun space fantasy flick, classic Star Wars in a lot of ways. But in the context of being the finale of the third trilogy, it really fell short. I'm actually debating watching it again soon. Sometimes, the more I watch, the more I notice things I missed on the first viewing. I actually never saw it in the theater. First time out of the 9 SW movies I'd ever missed one. I'm disappointed I didn't get to.

I'm guessing this isn't the end for the SW franchise, but I'm wondering what's next. I haven't read much about the next phase, or if that's even in the works at this point.

I'm guessing this isn't the end for the SW franchise, but I'm wondering what's next. I haven't read much about the next phase, or if that's even in the works at this point.

Nah, just the Skywalker Story. And even then I'm skeptical that we won't see an episode X eventually.

They've got a ton of things both Disney Plus and movies in development. The only things we're certain on are the Obi Wan and Cassian Andor Disney Plus shows. Everything else is rumor at this point, although yesterdat they did just announce Taika Waitti is cowriting and directing a movie, but we know nothing about it.

Nah, just the Skywalker Story. And even then I'm skeptical that we won't see an episode X eventually.

They've got a ton of things both Disney Plus and movies in development. The only things we're certain on are the Obi Wan and Cassian Andor Disney Plus shows. Everything else is rumor at this point, although yesterdat they did just announce Taika Waitti is cowriting and directing a movie, but we know nothing about it.

Thanks for the info. :9:

Re-watched this movie for the third time, my first non-theater viewing. Sadly, the third time was not the charm. I truly can't believe this movie ever got green-lit.

It starts off so poorly paced, then Palpatine comes up out of nowhere. Poe's "Palpatine is somehow back" line really sticks out like a sore thumb, since it never gets revisited what "somehow" means. But hey, moments later after his revelation, he somehow knows Palpatine was pulling the strings all along.

Speaking of Palpatine, why does he state at the beginning of the movie that he wants Kylo to kill Rey but yet, by the end, his goal was to have his granddaughter by his side? "I made Snoke!" What?!

The light speed skipping scene, brutal - how in world did the tie-fighters even know where to skip to?

Thousands of Imperial ships buried in ice and fully manned on command for when Palpatine raises his arms?

The crew goes on a mission to find a thing that leads to another thing that sends them to Endor to place the thing in the air to look at the other thing in the water to find out where One Eyed Willy, I mean, the other thing? And the final thing doesn't even matter ultimately?

Finn and a bunch of horse aliens attacking on a ship's wing? Why doesn't the ship just tilt to the side?!

And again, this entire 8 episode epic saga, all the heroics, the rise and fall and rise again of Anakin/Vader, Obi-Wan getting the final hope Luke Skywalker involved to save the day and also redeem his father....all of this was leading us to Palpatine's granddaughter saving the day for the Skywalker family, then taking the Skywalker family name?! Is this what this entire 40+ year story arc was all about?!

I'm so confused. This movie legitimately felt like they were subtly trying to make a parody movie and seeing if they could get away with it.

I'm so confused.
seems to be the consensus among sw fans. i still haven't seen ros and don't care.

astonishing that j.j.a. had all the advantage$ and none of the pressures of lucas, yet still delivered a steaming :poop:7trilogy.

btw, when does THE galactic bad*** have time to bone, and why?

seems to be the consensus among sw fans. i still haven't seen ros and don't care.

astonishing that j.j.a. had all the advantage$ and none of the pressures of lucas, yet still delivered a steaming :poop:7trilogy.

btw, when does THE galactic bad*** have time to bone, and why?
He didn’t. His son was actually a clone of himself, but you’d have to read supplemental material to know this.

And again, this entire 8 episode epic saga, all the heroics, the rise and fall and rise again of Anakin/Vader, Obi-Wan getting the final hope Luke Skywalker involved to save the day and also redeem his father....all of this was leading us to Palpatine's granddaughter saving the day for the Skywalker family, then taking Skywalker family name?! Is this what this entire 40+ year story arc was all about?!
No it wasn't what it was all about, but Disney wanted to make the sequel trilogy their way and it's what we got.

My brother sent me the first article below (which contained links to the the two articles that follow). Not sure if there's any truth to it, but if so there are some big changes under way. The gist is that the sequel trilogy devalued Star Wars to the point they're ready to ret-con it into an alternate universe and then let George Lucas remake it his way. Seems kind of far fetched, but the trilogy was such an abysmal failure that I can't discount the possibility.

@Sun Wukong, you're usually on top of this type of stuff. What have you heard/read and what's your take?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom