Star Wars 9 rise of sky walker [Spoilers] (3 Viewers)

yea I find that particular online debate kinda silly for the same reason

and anakin can build an entire pod and win the race when he’s just a tyke but Rey bypasses ONE compressor.....

Here are my spoiler thoughts. If the spoiler tag doesn't work, stop reading.

I thought it was an okay movie. The reason for that is more of where TLJ left us than what this movie was on its own. I thought they should have kept Snoke as the main villain. You could have still kept Rey as a Palpatine, but instead make this Snoke's hunt to keep the heir from claiming his throne over the Sith. I think that would have worked better.

If we stick with Snoke dying, then I would have had Kylo as the "Supreme Leader" gather his First Order fleet and have them attack Palpatine's fleet. I think that would have been a good redemption arc for Kylo where the galaxy gets to see that he joined the good guys at the end.

I thought they over-powered Palpatine when he was taking down every ship in the galaxy.

I also didn't like that EVERY ship they had could destroy a planet.

Finally, I didn't like the 4-5 "all hope is lost" moments at the end.

With that, I think they did a pretty good job with Rey's character. I also liked what they did with Kylo in this one. I liked that they minimalized Rose. She was a terrible character. They did about as good as you could with Leia considering the circumstances.

One last little complaint. Throughout the movie they keep telling Rey to not be afraid of where she came from, but in the end, she claims to be a Skywalker rather than saying she is a Palpatine. I would have had her say she was Rey Palpatine, but she isn't controlled by that name."

yea I find that particular online debate kinda silly for the same reason

and anakin can build an entire pod and win the race when he’s just a tyke but Rey bypasses ONE compressor.....

Which debate? Which reason?
Am I missing some subtext in that .gif?

Saw it today. It was ok but honestly it felt rushed, choppy, and had some sloppy story telling

But as others said, they were handicapped by trying to correct TLJ so they did the best they could with the hand they were dealt

Star wars romance,love,weddings maiden names. Neither the sith nor the Jedi pass that test.Star wars as a whole has always been average at best on that one. It's Hayden and Natalie FINALLY doing it like the force always intended. Light heat yellow, a union.joyous wonderfully powerful righteous. Not even the rain could defeat it this time ironically(well done CGM and all the rest of the rebels by the way). I do like the new hope this one brings for this very reason alone. Bravo everyone last weekend,Fri Sat and sun.

Maybe it was talked about before in this thread, but when Chewie was given Hans metal from A New Hope from (Leia), I had always wondered why he didn't get his own metal then. I noticed it was a Dick move when I first watched the movie when i was only 10 years old. But when they made the prequels and they made it known he was a high rank in the military, it made even less sense he didn't get his own metal then.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Great Max Landis Debate of 2015: The Rey as Mary Sue Hootenanny

and the ensuing years of a raging internet back and forth

I don’t buy it personally but many do

Alone neither of us are

Oh, weird. I thought it was patently obvious she's a Mary-Sue. Like, a definitive case study in how to make one and why doing so is bad storytelling.

Ok I haven't read the whole thread so I don't know what you guys are debating but I just got back from the movie.

It was basically a disaster. I don't honestly know how they could have fouled up the last two movies this badly.

The caveat is that I really enjoyed the kylo/rea storyline and those scenes were all great. Should have just done that and forgot the "big bad" they chose for this film. Sorry not sure if anything has been spoiled in the thread so I am being careful. Big bad guy was ridiculous and a cheap stunt.

The first 30 minutes of the movie could have been cut and it would have changed nothing. The "goonies knife" was a total waste of time.

There was a lot of bad dialogue, reeeeaaaalllly convenient timing with a magical way out when all hope was lost, and the constant return of old characters felt cheap. Some of them served zero purpose and their part in all this could have been done by any random character. They were just there so the audience can go "ooooooh." There was too much over explaining. Don't tell us. Show us. and then some things that don't make much sense weren't explained at all haha.

There were a few scenes so poorly edited that they were confusing. We spent the better part of our 45 minute train ride home discussing those scenes and still don't understand. the filmmakers can give 30 minutes to a knife that basically has zero importance to the plot but can't spend 20 seconds to explain whatever the hell Leah was doing on that table and what happened next????

And the last scene!!!! It ruined an already below average film. What she said in that final scene completely contradicts 3 movies worth of character development for rea.

This movie was not made by star wars fans, IMO.

I agree that JJ tried to cram too much into 1 movie, but I did enjoy it overall. Splitting it up into 2 movies would have been the best solution IMO to undo what TLJ did.

I do have a question. After Rey defeated Palpatine and 'died', why didn't she disappear like all of the other Jedis who died before her (and Kylo). Kylo literally disappeared 3 seconds after reviving her yet she lasted like 5 min 'dead' before that. Also, if Kylo was a Skywalker, I would have thought he would have appeared in the last scene w/ Luke and Leia as a Force Ghost when Rey buried the lightsabers? Or was it just for those 3 to share.

I also believe that Luke's really noticeable blue hue was from all of the blue milk he drank... I keed.

Also, did anyone else think that vat of Snoke clones looked what a vat of mutant Mortys would look like?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom