Star Wars 9 rise of sky walker [Spoilers] (3 Viewers)

Finally saw it. In some ways, I enjoyed it. In some ways, I've got major gripes. Not as bad as I was expecting, but not the story I really wanted, I suppose.

that was a big fun mess
yes LOTS of dangling threads/ideas, but one heckuva ride
and while it's been mentioned, i don't think enough credit is given to having to navigate Carrie Fisher's passing

that being said, i'm done with skywalkers, but i am interested in going forward in star wars stories

Last edited:
I agree that JJ tried to cram too much into 1 movie, but I did enjoy it overall. Splitting it up into 2 movies would have been the best solution IMO to undo what TLJ did.

I do have a question. After Rey defeated Palpatine and 'died', why didn't she disappear like all of the other Jedis who died before her (and Kylo). Kylo literally disappeared 3 seconds after reviving her yet she lasted like 5 min 'dead' before that. Also, if Kylo was a Skywalker, I would have thought he would have appeared in the last scene w/ Luke and Leia as a Force Ghost when Rey buried the lightsabers? Or was it just for those 3 to share.

I also believe that Luke's really noticeable blue hue was from all of the blue milk he drank... I keed.

Also, did anyone else think that vat of Snoke clones looked what a vat of mutant Mortys would look like?

so many problems. Ben not being there at the end is another major one. These are all things discussed ad nauseum at my house. The movie is called the rise of Skywalker for crying out loud. WTF.

I honestly loved the force awakens and I just can't believe this is how the series turned out. I suppose they were hampered by the last Jedi I didn't really think of it that way. They had to try and correct a lot of problems plus make a competent film that stands on its own.

I should say as much as I trashed the movie in some way I did enjoy it and I feel that every Star Wars fan should see it. Just be prepared to be equal parts satisfied and disappointed and plenty of moments asking what is going on and why would they do things this way.

Last edited by a moderator:
Guys, we have the ability to use spoiler tags. Most of you are using them, and a few of you haven't been. I know we're past the opening weekend, but until we get some level of consensus to open it up to spoilers (and update the thread title) I'd like people to try to avoid throwing out spoilers.

I liked that Abrams set up his payoffs. For example early in the film characters use a skill or a certain thing happens, then later in the film when another opportunity to use that skill comes, it makes sense as a story. This did not happen in TLJ.

I think I’ll continue to hold the ‘in the seat’ experience as being a lot of fun
but the more I think about it, the bigger the problems get - both structurally and in the meta sense

Same, I am in the same boat.

I talked crap about not seeing it again in my post right after my initial viewing, but my other son now wants to go see it with me, so I will take him next week for what will be my second viewing. TLJ, for as much as I did not like it and ultimately still don't, I must admit that I did find that it got better with each subsequent viewing, so maybe this will help TROS for me.

I think I’ll continue to hold the ‘in the seat’ experience as being a lot of fun
but the more I think about it, the bigger the problems get - both structurally and in the meta sense

maybe SW movies are just about being 'in the seat' fun and not some grand thing that fans imagined

meta stuff notwithstanding, there are still gaping plot holes that even the most arduous hand waving can’t overcome
Like what? (Not arguing, just want to hear your thoughts).

Put them in spoiler tags for now, unless everyone is ready to open this up.

Like what? (Not arguing, just want to hear your thoughts).

Put them in spoiler tags for now, unless everyone is ready to open this up.
every part of the wayfinder plots does not bear weight
Rey destroys Kylo’s ship that has the 1st wayfindr in it
The lost ship they need to find is sitting out i nthe open
And the sword’s sextant thingy maps a destroyed but circular structure that somehow has never moved even though it’s pounded for 50 ft waves
All of those are worse that hiding Luke on Anakin’s home planet with Anakin’s only known relatives
Luke and Leia knowing she’s a palpatine

To say nothing of crucial lore elements so important for the plot - force diad, Leia as master w lightsaber, force healing - that just pop up with no support (sure we saw force healing in Mando and Leia stuff has been in comics,but...)

Those are the big, plot dependent ones
But the little things like Kerri Russell having the secret get into jail free card
or bb8 having such trouble staying upright on a careening ship in TFA but now can stay attached to a listing ship?!?!
etcetc

maybe SW movies are just about being 'in the seat' fun and not some grand thing that fans imagined

I refuse to believe this. Sure, there should definitely be some "in the seat" fun, but there should be a good story involved, rather than a cobbled together mess. It was clear that they had no direction with this trilogy. They knew they were making a set of three movies. They should have planned out, at the very least, the grand strokes of the entire trilogy. There's no way in hell that that happened with these three movies. Star Wars has plenty of excellent book series that are planned out in this way, even though different authors are a part of the series. There needs to be some cohesion to things and I felt that this last movie was just a "let's throw a whole bunch of stuff onto the screen as fast as possible and see what sticks" kind of thing.

What if miss Daisy really just wants to drive. Make a deal with hux and Adam be none the wiser. The problem is ya never know who's lookin on. But back to the start oleander fans,dont it make you feel like your hands are off the wheel and eveee is a control freak liar . Yeah it definitely does.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom