Star Wars 9 rise of sky walker [Spoilers] (2 Viewers)

If you're saying anything good about ROS, you're suffering from delusion if nothing else. A complete jumble of a film that made little to no sense the entire way, with rapid fire dialogue desperately trying to explain the nonsense it was showing - and failing miserably at doing so, instead making the whole thing even less understandable.

What a disaster the whole project was. Despite being a shameless rip-off of the original film, TFA at least showed a hint of a cohesive plot that was leading somewhere. The two films that followed made a complete mess of everything by jettisoning that burgeoning plot.

After listening to Dave Filoni and Favreau talk Star Wars, I just feel a loss of what could have been.

I didn't hate the sequels (and I really disliked the prequels)... but they were such a wasted opportunity.

what a dream setup:

- 40 years' worth of fans
- blessings of the story creator
- unlimited time and money
- a world of talented writers/directors
- media goodwill and good wishes

instead, they got the riches-to-rags story that should so easily have been avoided

i'm with the repudiators... send the sequels to another galaxy far, far away and start fresh with favreau & co.

Doomcock is full of it. He has no sources. Legitimate insiders have laughed it off for weeks now. Lucas is never coming back in a major role. It isnt going to happen. This is fanboy wishing and nothing more.

The sequel trilogy was a complete misfire, but Disney has been happy with the Mandalorian. They were very happy with the Clone Wars revival (greenlighting a Bad Batch series off of it). They're supposedly going to be using the big High Republic publishing initiative as an incubator for new story possibilities as well.

They're not revisiting the sequels. They're going to push forward with non Skywalker material like the plan always was. Although it does look like they're being much more cautious on development and timelines. And to be fair, Bob Iger has taken his share if the blame for forcing too much too quickly with the sequel trilogy.

As much as people bash Lucasfilm right now, the truth is Rogue One worked. Solo flopped indie theaters due to a variety of factors and was a behind the scenes nightmare but has been reevaluated for the more positive over the last couple of years to the point there's talk of Disney+ spinoff focusing on Lando or Qira and the Crimson Dawn. The Mandalorian was a massive hit for them. Siege of Mandalore got nothing but praise.

As a production arm, they botched the sequels 100% but most of everything else they've done has worked to one degree or another. They're going to keep going down that road because it has worked for them. There's zero reason to revisit a failure if you can make other things work. We will eventually time jump forward past RoS in films and they will move on from there.

what a dream setup:

- 40 years' worth of fans
- blessings of the story creator
- unlimited time and money
- a world of talented writers/directors
- media goodwill and good wishes
Don't forget all of the OT stars willing to reprise their roles! This should have been a slam dunk.

I might argue that The Force Awakens was ok. Then somehow Rian Johnson was given the reins and decided to burn everything down.

Even Red Letter Media has to hold its nose and give praise to the prequels when discussing Rian Johnson's ... what's the opposite of Citizen Cane?
The Force Awakens is ok. It was just completely derivative and predictable. But, it was meant to serve as a soft reboot, giving fans something familiar while trying to launch something new. Then, as you said, Johnson burned it to the ground. RoS tried to course correct while still trying to conclude the saga. I didn't hate 2/3 of the sequels. That said, Revenge of the Sith is better than all of them. And, it's not even close.

I might argue that The Force Awakens was ok. Then somehow Rian Johnson was given the reins and decided to burn everything down.

Even Red Letter Media has to hold its nose and give praise to the prequels when discussing Rian Johnson's ... what's the opposite of Citizen Cane?

Agreed. I believe The Force Awakens gets a bad reputation due to how poor its successors were. That was really a good movie. Sure, it rehashed a lot, but it was done intentionally to introduce a new audience to the story. It was a very good setup movie and had just about the perfect amount of comedy and suspense needed for a Star Wars movie; then Rian Johnson got the reigns and flushed it all down the toilet.

Part 8 of a 9 part saga was not the right time to burn it all down to reinvent the wheel.

All that said, I do agree that Episode 3 was better than 7, slightly. I'm not as down on the prequels as most people, but here is how I personally rank them all as of today in terms of re-watchability:

A New Hope - Greatness, one of the best movies of all-time
Empire Strikes Back - same as above
Revenge of the Sith
The Force Awakens
Attack of the Clones - despite the cheesy romance scenes, this movie contains the best 20 minute stretch of any Star Wars movie
The Phantom Menace
The Last Jedi - derailed the series too much. On the bright side, at least it was a coherent story.
Return of the Jedi - feels too much like Muppets in Space
The Rise of Skywalker - the worst.

I saw the movie twice while it was in theaters, and hated TROS both times. I tried to watch it again a few weeks back on Disney Plus to see if I could get my opinion to change, and I literally could not make it out of the first half hour without turning it off. It just feels too cartoonish, like something outside of the main universe, almost like a serial/filler/abstract episode with no setup whatsoever.

After listening to Dave Filoni and Favreau talk Star Wars, I just feel a loss of what could have been.

I didn't hate the sequels (and I really disliked the prequels)... but they were such a wasted opportunity.
Well.. its nice to see you finally came around.

Rouge One is very underrated

I think it is a decent, entertaining flick. It has a lot of flaws/sloppiness due to last minute re-writes, and the lower budget is very evident in the overall look of things, but it is still something I typically would turn to if I find myself flipping the channels to look for something to watch.

Well.. its nice to see you finally came around.

Lol -- My opinion is pretty much the same. I still don't hate the sequels, and I still rather like TLJ (mainly b/c of the themes that it was going for). However, as a sequel trilogy it was a wasted opportunity.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom