Star Wars 9 rise of sky walker [Spoilers] (7 Viewers)

My problems with the prequels and these last two Jedi films have nothing to do with who the protagonist is. They have everything to do with the story and how it's told. They've simply wasted incredible, iconic characters over and over again. Darth, Han, Chewie, Luke the list goes on. So much more could have and should have been done with them.

They also missed on some big casting decisions. As with Aladdin, the main antagonist projects all the menace of a 2x4. Kylo Ren just isn't scary.

I tend to agree on Kylo. I mean, I remember getting goosebumps and being scared of what Vader would do. You knew when he was gonna jack sheet up. Never got that sense with Kylo. I mean, Rey had little training and work with the Force, yet she's able to go toe to toe with Kylo? I thought that was pretty unrealistic. I mean it's a fantasy movie, but stories, plot lines and character development needs to have some semblance of sense to work well.

I tend to agree on Kylo. I mean, I remember getting goosebumps and being scared of what Vader would do. You knew when he was gonna jack shirt up. Never got that sense with Kylo. I mean, Rey had little training and work with the Force, yet she's able to go toe to toe with Kylo? I thought that was pretty unrealistic. I mean it's a fantasy movie, but stories, plot lines and character development needs to have some semblance of sense to work well.

Kylo did throw a good tantrum, though :hihi:

I think part of what made Kylo Ren so ineffective, was that Rogue One's ending was still too fresh in our memories, with Vader going full Vader. At least it was the case with me. That was the last image of the bad guy I had in my mind.

I think part of what made Kylo Ren so ineffective, was that Rogue One's ending was still too fresh in our memories, with Vader going full Vader. At least it was the case with me. That was the last image of the bad guy I had in my mind.

Exactly, that image of Vader just wrecking shop just makes Ren look like child's play.

I raise you:

In short, TLJ tells a bad story and tells it poorly. Plus, it deliberately breaks ship-to-ship combat in the Star Wars universe. An X-Wing can go into hyperspace. Therefore a hyperspace engine is no larger than the ones on an X-Wing. Therefore, there's no reason to fight ship battles or any battles, for that matter, in any way but flinging lightspeed engines at your opponent. That whole scene was a gigantic middle finger to the entire franchise.
TLJ was made..and this is glaringly obvious, by someone who hated Star Wars.

Thanks for posting these. I listened to both in the background last night while I was doing something else, and they do a pretty good job of cataloging the myriad of problems with the movie (and in over an hour combined, none of the criticisms had anything to do with having a female lead -- it's like defenders/cheerleaders of the movie have their fingers in their ears when people try to point out the problems). It's just a bad movie. I wanted to like it and tried to like it because it's Star Wars, but it's just bad. And it's okay to like bad movies -- I know there are bad movies I like, this just isn't one of them.

How bout some Rey theories doe.....

I think Rey is the 2nd "Skywalker" (Luke being the 1st). A new order to blend dark and light. She does have 1,000 Legends in her now. After Rey, a new Skywalker will rise and so on... Disney wins, because they have a never-ending story (13 Dr Whos anyone?) and Luke fans win, because his name/legacy endures on.

I dunno, the opening scene with Kylo coming down and freezing the laser blast mid air, and basically ordering the storm troopers kill everyone was pretty "strong bad guy" for me. Maybe when he first removes the helmet they ruin it a bit, but then he turns into this sort of psychopath who just wants to toy with his victim. He has a strong serial killer vibe.

I don't have any specific theories, other than predicting JJ will undo the poor choices Johnson made with the character.

If you're talking about the "lineage" question, we would have to assume Kylo actually knows anything and was telling the truth, vs just trying to manipulate her.

If you're talking about the "lineage" question, we would have to assume Kylo actually knows anything and was telling the truth, vs just trying to manipulate her.
Kinda this. As in, I think maybe it can be retconned into manipulation. As has been posted here, Abrams had some kind of outline for these characters, but who knows? I was 4 or 5 when I saw Empire, and thought Vader was lying to Luke when I saw that reveal. Took 3 years to be proven wrong.

I dunno, the opening scene with Kylo coming down and freezing the laser blast mid air, and basically ordering the storm troopers kill everyone was pretty "strong bad guy" for me. Maybe when he first removes the helmet they ruin it a bit, but then he turns into this sort of psychopath who just wants to toy with his victim. He has a strong serial killer vibe.

I've always felt that, in hindsight, they should not have done a Kylo parentage reveal so quickly in TFA. Just let the audience believe he is just some sociopath with a Vader fetish whose actual name is Kylo Ren for 90% of the movie, then, near the very end, have the Han scene and let that be the reveal. "If I remove the mask, what is it do you think you'll see"..."The face of my son" should have been the big reveal.

Then, basically have Kylo tell him no, they chat briefly, then he kills him.

Kylo Ren, as a character, lost something when he became unmasked. He was much more terrifying and mysterious with it on. They should not have humanized this villain so quickly IMO.

Hmm... I don't know. I'll give you that freezing the laser blast was cool; but. while ordering your henchmen to kill everyone makes you a bad guy, it doesn't make you a formidable bad guy.

I've always felt that, in hindsight, they should not have done a Kylo parentage reveal so quickly in TFA. Just let the audience believe he is just some sociopath with a Vader fetish whose actual name is Kylo Ren for 90% of the movie, then, near the very end, have the Han scene and let that be the reveal. "If I remove the mask, what is it do you think you'll see"..."The face of my son" should have been the big reveal.
That's very good. You should submit a treatment.

Man, I really hope they don't give Rey a lineage. I think it works way better thematically for her to not be related to anyone. The Force doesn't belong to one family, and it shouldn't. I think in some ways the whole experiment of creating Anakin Skywalker put the force out of balance, and this will finally put it back.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom