Star Wars 9 rise of sky walker [Spoilers] (5 Viewers)

You know what? While I may disagree with you, thank you for making your own points rather than talking down to those who don't agree with you. Honestly, can't like this post enough.

:)

I'm just trying to bring it back to where I think we should all be at this point as Star Wars fans.... trying to get excited for the next movie. I really hope it works out.

As I said in that very first TLJ thread, I'm mostly bummed for Star Wars fans who didn't like TLJ. It sucks to have something you love not work out.

TBH, I'm more annoyed with TFA than TLJ. But that's because I'm just sad for what were my very first film heroes. Han is back to being a broken down smuggler who lost his wife, kid and ship. Leia is back to having to fight a war against a more well financed enemy and eventually is reduced to just a handful. She lost her husband, child and brother. Luke is a lonely hermit, having failed at rebuilding the Jedi order, he lost his nephew to the dark side. I just hate seeing my child hood heroes end up that way. I wanted to see them be able to enjoy the fruits of their hard earned victory.

But, from a story telling stand point, I like tragedy in my stories. I like seeing characters fail, and then try again. It ultimately feels more satisfying to me. So, I ended up liking the TLJ more than the TFA because ultimately, I believe Luke found the most Jedi way ever shown on film to beat the dark side. It seemed to me after his failure and then finally accepting that, he discovered, or rediscovered, how to actually save his friends and restore balance.

So as a Luke fan, I ended up really liking the movie - I thought he got a way better story than Rey. But that was also a negative for the movie, because ultimately the movies need to be about the new characters. Finn and Poe got pretty good narrative arcs, Rey's arc has felt a bit shallow. I think they could have delved deeper into her insecurity about not knowing who she is or where she came from, and then having to deal more directly with learning that she's a "nobody". They glanced over that part way too quickly for my taste. They could have made that relevation earlier, and then have her have moments of crisis' throughout the movie and then overcoming those towards the end. Oh well.

I'm pretty sure JJ is going to retcon some things... but I hope Rey doesn't become a Skywalker.

Yeah, the SJW issue is pretty far down the list of complaints for me. Stuff like that doesn't bother me if it doesn't get in the way of telling the story. I get why people love/hate the movie. But as you mentioned, the story telling was disjointed and was completely different from TFA. I mean, I guess I'm spoiled by Feige, because so much of the MCU is tied together and flows from one movie to the next. Nearly every scene has purpose and ties the movie together. You don't see a lot of wasted energy in the MCU. Because of the bar being set so high, I admit, it affected my expectations for TLJ, but, with the exception of a very few people, far and away, the large majority of SW fans think that it was a movie that could have been so much better.

I have no issues with people liking the movie. I think it's greatest shortcoming was that there was no continuity between TFA and LTJ. It's sorta like sticking Justice League in between Age of Ultron and Infinity War. It just didn't fit neatly into the overall SW saga. There's more I don't like, but a lot of that is subjective, and I don't expect everyone to agree. It's all good though. Not worth getting panties in a bunch over.

Oh, and just to brag about my Star Wars creds again ... I'm having my 20th wedding anniversary this year, and I talked my wife into going to the new Star Wars Galaxy Edge area of Disney World this year. So, yep.

:)

I'm just trying to bring it back to where I think we should all be at this point as Star Wars fans.... trying to get excited for the next movie. I really hope it works out.

As I said in that very first TLJ thread, I'm mostly bummed for Star Wars fans who didn't like TLJ. It sucks to have something you love not work out.

TBH, I'm more annoyed with TFA than TLJ. But that's because I'm just sad for what were my very first film heroes. Han is back to being a broken down smuggler who lost his wife, kid and ship. Leia is back to having to fight a war against a more well financed enemy and eventually is reduced to just a handful. She lost her husband, child and brother. Luke is a lonely hermit, having failed at rebuilding the Jedi order, he lost his nephew to the dark side. I just hate seeing my child hood heroes end up that way. I wanted to see them be able to enjoy the fruits of their hard earned victory.

But, from a story telling stand point, I like tragedy in my stories. I like seeing characters fail, and then try again. It ultimately feels more satisfying to me. So, I ended up liking the TLJ more than the TFA because ultimately, I believe Luke found the most Jedi way ever shown on film to beat the dark side. It seemed to me after his failure and then finally accepting that, he discovered, or rediscovered, how to actually save his friends and restore balance.

So as a Luke fan, I ended up really liking the movie - I thought he got a way better story than Rey. But that was also a negative for the movie, because ultimately the movies need to be about the new characters. Finn and Poe got pretty good narrative arcs, Rey's arc has felt a bit shallow. I think they could have delved deeper into her insecurity about not knowing who she is or where she came from, and then having to deal more directly with learning that she's a "nobody". They glanced over that part way too quickly for my taste. They could have made that relevation earlier, and then have her have moments of crisis' throughout the movie and then overcoming those towards the end. Oh well.

I'm pretty sure JJ is going to retcon some things... but I hope Rey doesn't become a Skywalker.

I agree with Rey not becoming a Skywalker. I like the idea that the Force can work with someone with a questionable lineage. I mean, the Jedi are an incredibly diverse group of warriors, and Rey would fit in well with that idea. She doesn't have to be a Skywalker for that to happen.

I agree with Rey not becoming a Skywalker. I like the idea that the Force can work with someone with a questionable lineage. I mean, the Jedi are an incredibly diverse group of warriors, and Rey would fit in well with that idea. She doesn't have to be a Skywalker for that to happen.

Yeah, I loved that about TLJ. I loved Rey not having any lineage... it makes the force more mystical again and not tied to someone's blood lines. It works way better for me about what the Force is and how it works.

I really, really want to see how Palpatine fits into this, and what "Rise of Skywalker" means. One of the things Rian Johnson talked about with killing off Luke and bringing in new powers of the Force ghosts (like Yoda manifesting power in the corporeal world by summoning lightning) was that he thought it would give Luke more room to maneuver and ultimately add another layer to the world. So, I'm wondering if they'll tie this into the Mortis story from the Clone Wars, and the Skywalkers take the place of the Father, Son and Daughter as totems of the force. Anakin would take the place of the Father which is what the Father wanted him to do originally, and he really struggled with the light and the dark. Ben has given himself over to the Dark Side, so he would take the place of the Son, and Luke has given himself over to the Light, so he'd take the place of the Daughter.

Or something like that.

Just a suggestion, but should we make this just a general Star Wars discussion thread?

We can just debate the merits of all the trilogies without getting off-topic. Kinda like the wrasslin' thread.

The reason the backstory matters at this stage is because the chess pieces of the story had already been set going into the ST.
Spoiler alert:.... Game of Thrones: Night King, melts revealing the True Hero of the entire series... The Sun.

Yeah, the SJW issue is pretty far down the list of complaints for me. Stuff like that doesn't bother me if it doesn't get in the way of telling the story. I get why people love/hate the movie. But as you mentioned, the story telling was disjointed and was completely different from TFA. I mean, I guess I'm spoiled by Feige, because so much of the MCU is tied together and flows from one movie to the next. Nearly every scene has purpose and ties the movie together. You don't see a lot of wasted energy in the MCU. Because of the bar being set so high, I admit, it affected my expectations for TLJ, but, with the exception of a very few people, far and away, the large majority of SW fans think that it was a movie that could have been so much better.

The thing is... the MCU has about a million of pages of source material to draw from. Disney took the source Material for Star Wars and almost completely ignored it. They barely even recognize parts of the material they claim is part of the universe.

My problems with the prequels and these last two Jedi films have nothing to do with who the protagonist is. They have everything to do with the story and how it's told. They've simply wasted incredible, iconic characters over and over again. Darth, Han, Chewie, Luke the list goes on. So much more could have and should have been done with them.

They also missed on some big casting decisions. As with Aladdin, the main antagonist projects all the menace of a 2x4. Kylo Ren just isn't scary.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom