Star Wars: Andor (1 Viewer)

I get it but the Emperor waited decades to see his plan come to fruition and it all gets undone because of incompetence? His plan never should've worked then. "Decades of meticulous planning led to the creation of the Empire but now that we have an Empire, you can just phone it in now." I don't think I like that but the show is still awesome, that hasn't changed.
I know canon is now with Disney but they still draw a lot from the books. And in the books it is suggested that the Emperor was much stronger in the Force than any of us realize. There were many books that suggested he actually controlled much of the activity in the Empire thru the Force by directly controlling individuals. Even so far as to control his military during combat with the rebels. It would be very fanciful to suggest that in the Disney-verse, but in the books it was very sinister and completely believable.

I know canon is now with Disney but they still draw a lot from the books. And in the books it is suggested that the Emperor was much stronger in the Force than any of us realize. There were many books that suggested he actually controlled much of the activity in the Empire thru the Force by directly controlling individuals. Even so far as to control his military during combat with the rebels. It would be very fanciful to suggest that in the Disney-verse, but in the books it was very sinister and completely believable.
So he was so hands on that things were bound to slip through the cracks? I can go with that.

I get it but the Emperor waited decades to see his plan come to fruition and it all gets undone because of incompetence? His plan never should've worked then. "Decades of meticulous planning led to the creation of the Empire but now that we have an Empire, you can just phone it in now." I don't think I like that but the show is still awesome, that hasn't changed.
he had a plan to overthrow the jedi - but his post Order 66 to do list seems to be "put the boot on their necks"
the only agenda i've heard is some variation of 'peace through security'
i really don't think there was a post 66 plan
there's anywhere from 1-4 Sith running around - that means the overwhelming mechanism for implementing and maintaining the Empire is the military and bureaucracy
in the OT we followed the Empire mostly through the actions of Vader, so we were first told about the most menacing aspect of the Empire (even then we saw the internal backbiting that seems inherent to top down structures)

Through all these stories, we've basically seen that the operations of the galaxy is some permutation of 'the senate' - Palps kept most of the structure in place, he just made it into some sort of 'representational' monarchy
once the rebels overthrew that system, the attempted to re-form the senate - again, the structure is essentially still there, they're just rebranding it, in essence

This show hasn't been my cup of tea. It seems like they could have compressed nine episodes into three. Not a whole lot of action, and the dialogue has been meh. The characters just seem dull.

And the way they are showing the Empire is kinda, I dunno, weird, and just doesn't jive with anything we've experienced before. Yeah, I guess that not everyone in imperial service is some ruthless Sith, and that they are trying to show a kinder, gentler more bureaucratic face and how/why your average, non-evil human might follow, but it just seems like an almost totally different universe.

Maybe I should rewatch.

This show hasn't been my cup of tea. It seems like they could have compressed nine episodes into three. Not a whole lot of action, and the dialogue has been meh. The characters just seem dull.

And the way they are showing the Empire is kinda, I dunno, weird, and just doesn't jive with anything we've experienced before. Yeah, I guess that not everyone in imperial service is some ruthless Sith, and that they are trying to show a kinder, gentler more bureaucratic face and how/why your average, non-evil human might follow, but it just seems like an almost totally different universe.

Maybe I should rewatch.
I think not trying to compress the show has been one of its biggest strengths.

We can step away from Cassian a bit more and learn more about the other characters and motivations, as well as see how other characters are experiencing the results of certain actions.

I also really dig the little 2-3 episode arcs they’ve been doing.

I was really invested in the Aldhani heist because we had already spent 2 (or so) episodes with the characters as they put everything together and established stakes (both personal & for the rebellion). I feel the same way now with the prison arc.

We can step away from Cassian a bit more and learn more about the other characters and motivations, as well as see how other characters are experiencing the results of certain actions.

I was really invested in the Aldhani heist because we had already spent 2 (or so) episodes with the characters as they put everything together and established stakes (both personal & for the rebellion). I feel the same way now with the prison arc.
I think I might like Andor more than The Mandalorian.

This is the answer
If someone is looking for an action fix, then I get that this is not the show
But everything about this show - writing, acting, direction, SUBTLETY!!! is 9/10

i'm glad andor hasn't leaned on jedi/sith mysticalities, relying instead on the wits and guts of mere mortals

Maybe I should rewatch.
I think what’s going on with this Empire is a balance of realpolitik and original 70s Nazi comp
We held the nazis to be evil, organizational geniuses- but almost a monolith and an isolated occurrence
We wanted to believe that Nazis were a rarity and something like that was unlikely to happen again
I think now we see conditions of Germany at the time fostered and facilitated the nazi rise
And of course, contemporarily, we see tons of demi fascists and nationalists in a shocking number of countries
And there’s nothing particularly special, interesting or even purposeful
Today’s depictions of fascism don’t focus on much special about the fascists, but more on the hate mixed with the broader lethargy and apathy that greases the skids for the hate to find a foothold

Last edited:
i think they're having fun with Dedra's enigmatic reaction to significant moments - i don't know where she lands on 3 of her scenes:
Does she hate or is intrigued by Syril's stalking?
Did she appreciate her assistant piping up in the meeting about Andor shaving or did she find it concerning?
Did she appreciate her assistant taking initiative about 'interviewing' the Rebel pilot or did she find it concerning?

what's your take?

i think they're having fun with Dedra's enigmatic reaction to significant moments - i don't know where she lands on 3 of her scenes:
Did she appreciate her assistant piping up in the meeting about Andor shaving or did she find it concerning?
Did she appreciate her assistant taking initiative about 'interviewing' the Rebel pilot or did she find it concerning?

what's your take?
My take is it's following somewhat stereotyped office politics reactions. I don't really mean that in a bad way; it makes perfect sense in the Empire model and certainly follows the culture as its been presented to us so far, even though it is a rather old trope.

Dedra is an ambitious, no-nonsense person willing to step on others to get the job done and advance her career. As such a person, she is pleased with her assistance's efficacy, but at the same time is suspicious that his willingness to take the initiative might be fueled by an ambition that could be dangerous to her and therefore be something she might have to squash in the future. I think the nuance in which they've presented it has been done excellently.

Also, I think she feels Cyril is a danger to her.

what's your take?
All ruthless people believe that their underlings are also ruthless, therefore a danger. Look at the Sith dynamic. Only two, a master and an apprentice. The apprentice kills the master, becomes the new master, takes on an apprentice, and so on.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom