Star Wars Question (1 Viewer)

Are you referring to the massacre of the sand people? I can't recall their being child sand people there, although I suppose you can infer it. But on a certain level, it counts for little. The only thing we know about the sand people is they go around enslaving/torturing people.

He told her he killed the women and children.

The canon answer is that Tarkin suspected but never voiced his opinion. As you said Thrawn figured it out. After that only Yoda, Obi-wan and Luke, and later Leia and Han.

After the war, the information got released as a political hit job against Leia. It was one of the first things that led Ben Solo to the dark side.

Once again, you all completely ignore Marcia Lucas's influence on George Lucas.

She had a large amount of input on the writing and directing as well as editing until after Empire. We saw what a step down Return was without Marcia...the fact that it was as good as it was is only because he was just sweeping up and ending something that was 66% done already.

When he started from scratch on the prequels without Marcia he failed miserably

This is true. She is widely reputed to have checked many of his stranger impulses and kept his crazier ideas off the screen. She is by all accounts an exceedingly good editor, not just of Lucas' stuff, but Spielberg, Scorcese, and John Milius all said she was great at what she did as well. But then she had to go and leave George for a stained glass artist that worked at Skywalker Ranch. I can't imagine being married to George was easy, though. As much as I love his creation, he has always come across as an odd, perpetually morose kind of dude.

I’d be hard pressed to tell you what the plot of phantom menace actually was

Something about a treaty and trade federation and an invasion

The basic idea of The Phantom Menace (and the idea of the Clone Wars in general) is sound: Sidious/Palpatine works behind the scenes to create a real war for contrived reasons in order to climb to the top of the political food chain, and use the crisis to take out the Jedi and have himself crowned Emperor. Ok, cool. Villain encourages major galactic strife for his own gain. It makes sense. The problem is Lucas got so lost in the weeds with the minutia that he dedicated an entire movie to a trade dispute and the politics of the senate when you could have easily set up that same scenario in a handful of scenes. Watching the Senatorial delegation from Malastare call for the creation of a commission to study whether or not the Trade Federation's tactics were actually illegal is literally no one's idea of a good time.

When's the last time you watched them. I ask, because I just made the mistake of watching 1 & 3 again very recently, and they're even worse than I remember. Like you, I really enjoyed the Clone Wars animated series, and my memory of how much I disliked the prequels had softened. They were terrible. Just unwatchable in terms of dialogue, directing and acting. Even the narrative arc was just meh. If you don't hate them, I suggest never watching them again to preserve that lack of emotion.

On the flip side, I kind of liked The Last Jedi (I rank it somewhere in the middle). I get what your saying about unearned moments (like Yoda's line), which I agree with. But I still found it enjoyable and really appreciate what Johnson was trying to do. I had a bigger issue with The Force Awakens, which was probably better from a cohesive standpoint, but was not very imaginative in the story it was trying to tell, and I think that led to issues in The Last Jedi.

That being said, I rewatch both movies occasionally, which I can't do with the prequels.

I think Star Wars has done much better with it's animated series and comics though.

Probably about a year ago is when I watched them last. Like I said, I will never defend them as good. I guess I'm just trying to say I've made peace with their existence after really disliking them for a number of years. And I enjoy much of the ancillary material set in that time period now, even if the movies themselves are quite poor.

I think there is a lot of pressure on the movies which hamstrings them a bit. Animation, books, comics are all really good. And I'm really looking forward to The Mandalorian and the Cassian Andor series because I feel like they won't have the pressure of the movies bearing down on them.

Going back and rewatching the movies in episode order. I'm no expert on the series, but I noticed in episode II the Mandalorian bounty hunter Jango Fett gets to wander around without his helm.

Why does Jango get to show his face while Dyn cannot? Guessing it's just once more issue with episode II, but curious if anyone has more info to clear it up.

I've asked a coworker who is much more versed and all he could say was good question.

Going back and rewatching the movies in episode order. I'm no expert on the series, but I noticed in episode II the Mandalorian bounty hunter Jango Fett gets to wander around without his helm.

Why does Jango get to show his face while Dyn cannot? Guessing it's just once more issue with episode II, but curious if anyone has more info to clear it up.

I've asked a coworker who is much more versed and all he could say was good question.

A couple of answers here:

1. For whatever reason, Lucas decided when he made Clone Wars that Jango and Boba weren't actually Mandalorians, just bounty hunters wearing Mandalorian armor and weapons and that the actual Mandalorians weren't happy about this impersonation.

2. Even that aside, we see tons of actual Mandalorians in Clone Wars and Rebels with their helmets off in front of other people all the time. So speculation (that's all we have at the moment) is that since Mandalorian culture is splintered and largely hiding in individual cells after the Empire wrecked Mandalore that this particular cell of Mandalorians we see have adopted some hardcore beliefs to keep themselves hidden.

We're supposed to seem some characters like Bo-Katan Kryze and (maybe, supposedly, allegedly but far from confirmed) Sabine Wren in season 2 who are both Mandalorians who took their helmets off in front of others. Would be funny for them to basically tell Mando "Where did you get that crazy rule from?" I expect it to be addressed some kind of way.

It's possible that rule is fairly recent and related to the need to be in hiding.

I still think The Armorer is Sabine. Nobody else agrees with me on that so expect a lot of gloating when it turns out I'm right. Like major Mc Hammer dancing to "You Can't Touch This" level gloating,

I’ve had the feeling that Dyn is kind of a born-again (near zealot) about Mandalorian rules

It's possible that rule is fairly recent and related to the need to be in hiding.

I still think The Armorer is Sabine. Nobody else agrees with me on that so expect a lot of gloating when it turns out I'm right. Like major Mc Hammer dancing to "You Can't Touch This" level gloating,

That would actually be pretty cool

Another Vader question:

Why was he so calm after the Falcon went to light speed at the end of ESB?

He was just told that the light speed had been deactivated

He was just told that they'd have the Falcon in the tractor beam in a few seconds

The next second they're gone

Vader looks out the window, looks down, looks back out the window to make sure that he really saw what he saw (yep, they're gone)

Then he turns and walks away without a word

Why didn't he force choke everyone within sight?

3:25

Another Vader question:

He was just told that they'd have the Falcon in the tractor beam in a few seconds

Vader looks out the window, looks down, looks back out the window to make sure that he really saw what he saw (yep, they're gone)

I think secretly he was relieved Luke got away.

Another Vader question:

He knew he had his hooks in Luke at that point. It would only be a matter of time before he showed back up.

He knew he had his hooks in Luke at that point. It would only be a matter of time before he showed back up.

Exactly what I was thinking. If he believed it was their destiny to reunite, he knew it was simply a matter of time.

There is conflicting information on what Owen and Beru knew. The short story collection "From a Certain Point of View" implies they knew Anakin was Vader, but those stories are of "questionable" canonical value as the whole pretext for the book is unreliable narrators telling stories that may or may not be fully accurate.

The Star Wars comic from Marvel contains a scene where Owen confronts Obi Wan and tells him to stay out of Luke's life, and it seems Owen believes the official story that Anakin died at the Jedi Temple fighting clones.

There is a new "From a certain Point of View" book on Empire Strikes Back

Amazon.com: From a Certain Point of View: The Empire Strikes Back (Star Wars) (Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back) (9780593157749): Dickinson, Seth, Green, Hank, Kuang, R. F., Wells, Martha, White, Kiersten: Books

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom