Starbucks at it again (1 Viewer)

Optimus Prime

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
This has actually happened to me before

Also pre pandemic I'm in a fast food place - place my order and I'm waiting, waiting, waiting

Others (Read: White) placed their orders after me yet get their food before me, and it was like 3 or 4 people

I say something. They say they "forgot" about my order, they make it and I get my food

As I'm sitting down eating (Angrily) the SAME EXACT THING happens to another black guy who comes in

Coincidence????
========================

SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- Different treatment because of the color of your skin, that's what a Black San Francisco man said happened to him at a San Jose Starbucks. Now the company is apologizing and retraining staff.

"Come straight up to me points to the door and says I need you outside. And at that moment, man, it's embarrassing. It's irritating. Humiliating. Why me?," said Bryce Ward exclusively to ABC7 News.

Starbucks is now apologizing to Ward after he was told to step outside of the coffee shop on Mckee Road in San Jose while he waited for his order to be made.

He said he remained inside the store after two women left, by his logic the store was no longer at capacity.

Ward provided a receipt to ABC7 News showing he was at the store and made the purchase March 15 at approximately 9:30 a.m.

Ward said a manager told him the store was at capacity per Santa Clara County's COVID restrictions so he had to leave.

He said other customers were allowed into the store and he believes he was targeted because he's Black...............

EXCLUSIVE: Starbucks apologizes to Black San Francisco man over alleged incident of discrimination at San Jose store - ABC7 San Francisco (abc7news.com)

Last edited:
Looks like they need another bias training day

It sucks but what in this makes it a definitive racial case? if Starbucks turns over the video footage and I see other whites walk in after his incident and the only other person asked to leave was another black guy then yea I am on board. But just throwing racial accusations out without solid proof makes racial strain worse not better.

This has actually happened to me before

Also pre pandemic I'm in a fast food place - place my order and I'm waiting, waiting, waiting

Others (Read: White) placed their orders after me yet get their food before me, and it was like 3 or 4 people

I say something. They say they "forgot" about my order, they make it and I get my food

As I'm sitting down eating (Angrily) the SAME EXACT THING happens to another black guy who comes in

Coincidence????

This happens to me all the time at all sorts of restaurants & service type businesses.

I went to the drive-thru at Whataburger for breakfast a couple of weeks ago and, as they often do for breakfast, they asked me to park and they would bring out my order when it was ready. I sat there for about 10 minutes waiting for my order watching car after car drive off with theirs. I finally got fed up with waiting & walked in to the counter. My order had been sitting there and they just forgot to bring it out to me. It's very likely something similar happened to this guy. He was asked to wait outside due to the Covid restrictions & they simply forgot he was out there waiting.

I went to the drive-thru at Whataburger for breakfast a couple of weeks ago and, as they often do for breakfast, they asked me to park and they would bring out my order when it was ready. I sat there for about 10 minutes waiting for my order watching car after car drive off with theirs. I finally got fed up with waiting & walked in to the counter. My order had been sitting there and they just forgot to bring it out to me. It's very likely something similar happened to this guy. He was asked to wait outside due to the Covid restrictions & they simply forgot he was out there waiting.

I used the Popeyes app exactly one time because this happened to me. I ended up leaving without my food because I was running late and it was only about five bucks so I didn’t even bother. Marked it down as a $5 lesson. They lost out too because had the app process worked smoothly they would have had me in for many more orders

happened to us last sunday waiting at a restaurant. they lost our order, so they comped our meal since we didnt "go off" on the waitress like the owner said.

almost all service sucks these days.

It sucks but what in this makes it a definitive racial case? if Starbucks turns over the video footage and I see other whites walk in after his incident and the only other person asked to leave was another black guy then yea I am on board. But just throwing racial accusations out without solid proof makes racial strain worse not better.

That's possibly true but Starbucks isn't getting the benefit of the doubt from me

And them claiming not to have any video footage when there are security cameras all over the place makes me more than a little suspicious

And, I'm not saying this is what you're saying, way too many people say and think that unless the N word was used then it's not a 'definitive racial case'

Anything less than that and there is juuuust enough ambiguity and gray area to cast doubt

Maybe it was just an innocent mistake, maybe it was an just oversight, maybe it was intentional but maybe the person was just a jerk butt crevasse but not a racist

The key part of microaggressions is the "micro" part

And them claiming not to have any video footage when there are security cameras all over the place makes me more than a little suspicious

I read all of what you copied into the OP but didn't click the article. If the incident just happened on 3/15 and this is their claim, then that is far more incriminating, IMO, than the accusations. It doesn't take much storage to keep surveillance for at least a couple of weeks.

Some companies have their security cameras running full time on a HDD that writes over the older stuff after a certain period of time. Not sure how long after the incident the video footage was requested, but it's possible that it was long enough after that the footage had been written over.

I read all of what you copied into the OP but didn't click the article. If the incident just happened on 3/15 and this is their claim, then that is far more incriminating, IMO, than the accusations. It doesn't take much storage to keep surveillance for at least a couple of weeks.

I can tell you that one of the major national big box retailers uses a system that has old video overwritten within two weeks of when it is recorded.

That being said, it would not surprise me if a Starbucks employee or manager was a racist arse. They are everywhere in our society and a company can only do so much to weed them out.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom