Starbucks at it again (1 Viewer)

This has actually happened to me before

Also pre pandemic I'm in a fast food place - place my order and I'm waiting, waiting, waiting

Others (Read: White) placed their orders after me yet get their food before me, and it was like 3 or 4 people

I say something. They say they "forgot" about my order, they make it and I get my food

As I'm sitting down eating (Angrily) the SAME EXACT THING happens to another black guy who comes in

Coincidence????
========================

SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- Different treatment because of the color of your skin, that's what a Black San Francisco man said happened to him at a San Jose Starbucks. Now the company is apologizing and retraining staff.

"Come straight up to me points to the door and says I need you outside. And at that moment, man, it's embarrassing. It's irritating. Humiliating. Why me?," said Bryce Ward exclusively to ABC7 News.

Starbucks is now apologizing to Ward after he was told to step outside of the coffee shop on Mckee Road in San Jose while he waited for his order to be made.

He said he remained inside the store after two women left, by his logic the store was no longer at capacity.

Ward provided a receipt to ABC7 News showing he was at the store and made the purchase March 15 at approximately 9:30 a.m.

Ward said a manager told him the store was at capacity per Santa Clara County's COVID restrictions so he had to leave.

He said other customers were allowed into the store and he believes he was targeted because he's Black...............

EXCLUSIVE: Starbucks apologizes to Black San Francisco man over alleged incident of discrimination at San Jose store - ABC7 San Francisco (abc7news.com)

Optimus...nobody forced you to order an iced, Ristretto, 10 shot, venti, with breve, 5 pump vanilla, 7 pump caramel, 4 Splenda, [and] poured, not shaken

I read all of what you copied into the OP but didn't click the article. If the incident just happened on 3/15 and this is their claim, then that is far more incriminating, IMO, than the accusations. It doesn't take much storage to keep surveillance for at least a couple of weeks.

If I understand what happened right he went in Starbucks was told that they are at their covid capacity of X and asked to leave

Fine, that's not a problem.

He leaves and waits outside.

2 people leave the Starbucks. The guy reasonably assumes that X minus 2 = they are less than max capacity and he goes in and is asked to leave again

Last edited:
I dunno, I've been forgotten about at a busy Starbucks before...it happens. Whether intentional or not, I have no idea. If I'm ordering now, I just order through the app. That hasn't failed me yet.

And, I'm not saying this is what you're saying, way too many people say and think that unless the N word was used then it's not a 'definitive racial case'
In this day and age, the even that doesn’t guarantee that people will accept that it is a definitive racial case.

See Wallen, Morgan.

I dunno, I've been forgotten about at a busy Starbucks before...it happens. Whether intentional or not, I have no idea. If I'm ordering now, I just order through the app. That hasn't failed me yet.
Yeah... I have been forgotten about at many places before and I am a white woman. Even ordering through an app, they have still forked up.

In this day and age, the even that doesn’t guarantee that people will accept that it is a definitive racial case.

See Wallen, Morgan.
Seems to me that plenty of people, including the news organization that reported it & Starbucks' corporate office accepted it as definitive. If you search "Starbucks" right now there are multiple national stories about it.

Yeah... I have been forgotten about at many places before and I am a white woman. Even ordering through an app, they have still forked up.

I think it would be naïve of us to assume that Black people can't tell the difference between being forgotten about (which has happened to everyone) at a busy establishment and feeling discriminated against. I think we also take for granted what must go into the decision to levy such an accusation. On the one hand, you know you'll be met by people ready to happily explain it all away as a misunderstanding if it wasn't overt racism, but on the other hand if you don't say anything the establishment just gets to continue their furtive behavior.

He said he remained inside the store after two women left, by his logic the store was no longer at capacity.
I saw another article that had some additional info that wasn't omitted in the first article:

'Why Me?': Starbucks Apologizes After Black Customer Alleges He Was Asked to Leave While Other Customers Entered and Were Permitted to Stay (atlantablackstar.com)
A Starbucks spokesperson told CBS the manager’s request for Ward to leave the store was not racially motivated, but admitted the employee could have done a better job at explaining the capacity limit.

The spokesperson said an internal investigation showed that other customers had been asked to exit the store, but expressed being unsure about whether the customers actually left when asked. Employees at the San Jose location have been retrained on how to approach issues related to capacity limits differently in the future.

Ward left his phone number with the Starbucks manager after the incident, and the district manager gave him a call that night. “I just don’t want this to happen to someone else because right now I’m hurt,” he told the district manager.
I'm wondering if the women Ward saw left were other customers that were asked to exit the store due to being over capacity.

From the article I linked, that last quote was in the first article, but it didn't say anything about that being said to the district manager who called Ward after Ward made his complaint to the manager and it didn't include the part where he told the district manager that he was hurt. It also stated that Adante Porter is actually Ward's lawyer, not just a Civil Rights Attorney, so I would expect a law suit to be filed soon as well.

I think it would be naïve of us to assume that Black people can't tell the difference between being forgotten about (which has happened to everyone) at a busy establishment and feeling discriminated against. I think we also take for granted what must go into the decision to levy such an accusation. On the one hand, you know you'll be met by people ready to happily explain it all away as a misunderstanding if it wasn't overt racism, but on the other hand if you don't say anything the establishment just gets to continue their furtive behavior.

I'm not saying a customer shouldn't say anything. I don't know enough about the situation to definitively say what happened was racism. If the customer perceived it, then he should complain.

I'm just saying it happens often enough that the reasons it happens may not always be obvious. Maybe it was obvious, and if it was, then by all means. Racism wherever it occurs is unacceptable. The question is was it? If so, what are we gonna do about it?

Would you agree that assuming racism when it's not overt is just as unfair?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom