Starbucks at it again (1 Viewer)

Would you agree that assuming racism when it's not overt is just as unfair?

By us, viewing the story? The only thing I've seen so far in this thread are people doing the opposite. No one here has said it's probably racism.

For the person making the claim? Please see my first comment.

I am still trying to figure out why anyone goes to Starbucks to pay 5 times more for an average cup of coffee you can get at a Circle K.

I haven't been in one to buy a cup in at least 10 years. I did go into one here in Monroe 2 weeks ago because they said their internet was out. The on duty manager showed me took me into the the back office where their server was and next to it was the modem and it wasn't powered up. I checked the back to make sure the power cord was seated and then followed it to the outlet and found it unplugged and the only spot it could have been plugged into had a cell phone charger on it. I pulled the charger out, plugged in the modem and it started powering up. After it locked into the cable system I asked the manager to check the internet on the system and she verified it was working. How someone that check that kind of thing before calling for a tech visit I will never understand. That visit that took a total of 15 minutes cost them $100.00 in service charge and about 12 hrs minimum of no primary internet access. They could still run the registers since they had a cellular back up to run them so I don't think they lost customers.

I haven't had any coffee for just over a year now.

I have, but it's a pot of Community Coffee every morning. Thank goodness the stores stock them here now. For a long CC was impossible to find here unless you went to a specialty store and spend about 50% to twice what they are at the bigger supermarkets here.

I have, but it's a pot of Community Coffee every morning. Thank goodness the stores stock them here now. For a long CC was impossible to find here unless you went to a specialty store and spend about 50% to twice what they are at the bigger supermarkets here.
I was drinking 2 1/2 16oz cups of coffee each workday in the morning (so, 5 regular cups) and I just decided to try and quit cold turkey while working from home. I thought that would be a few weeks. Oops. :hihi:

I've decided to try and keep going until I return to the office regularly. It sounds like even when we go back to the office later this year that we'll have the ability to work from home part-time.

I have coffee in the house, so it's there if I want it, but I've been doing pretty well without it.

Optimus...nobody forced you to order an iced, Ristretto, 10 shot, venti, with breve, 5 pump vanilla, 7 pump caramel, 4 Splenda, [and] poured, not shaken

And north side of the vineyard.

The key part of microaggressions is the "micro" part

This is an important part of the discussion that should be had, in a good way. Many of us don't understand unconscious bias, of which you should never feel guilty (it's environmentally installed and behaviorally reinforced.

But we also all have a duty to do a little more "standing in the shoes of the other person" because we don't realize the effects of even largely well-meant behavior. Part of the justice and equality we all deep down want to achieve will require us to undo some of this wiring so many of us have.

This is an important part of the discussion that should be had, in a good way. Many of us don't understand unconscious bias, of which you should never feel guilty (it's environmentally installed and behaviorally reinforced.

But we also all have a duty to do a little more "standing in the shoes of the other person" because we don't realize the effects of even largely well-meant behavior. Part of the justice and equality we all deep down want to achieve will require us to undo some of this wiring so many of us have.
I'll be honest, this is the very first time I've heard or seen anyone state that we should never feel guilty for unconscious bias or microaggression.

What are some examples of microagression? I'm just trying to picture what that looks like.

By us, viewing the story? The only thing I've seen so far in this thread are people doing the opposite. No one here has said it's probably racism.

For the person making the claim? Please see my first comment.
You seemed to be speaking in general terms & not specifically about this story, but yes, it could also apply to this story. You said that it was naive of us to think that black people can't tell the difference between being forgotten about and being discriminated against and I have to disagree. I think it's naive to think that black people don't sometimes confuse the two. I also think that there are some that apply racism without a second thought or much consideration at all. But I don't see that as a black thing, I see it as a human thing. We all sometimes feel personally slighted when something like that happens. Not every time, but it does happen. Having worked in a repair service department for a number of years, I used to see it on almost a daily basis from both sides of the counter and all it usually took to diffuse a situation was a little bit of understanding & compassion. So when I ask, do you think it's unfair to assume racism when it's not overt, that's not meant to be an accusation that everyone is just going around accusing people of racism, but being black and when slighted and when you feel it's personal even when there is no overt evidence, then is racism the first assumption and do you think that's fair?

Last edited:
What are some examples of microagression? I'm just trying to picture what that looks like.
I was thinking of posting something about this yesterday. When I was a kid, I was always a bit smaller than most of my friends. A lot of them were a bit older as well. Being the smaller guy I grew up with a little bit of a chip on my shoulder, so I always felt like I could never back down from anyone or let anyone push me around or it would continue to happen all my life. One day in high school I started noticing a trend. Every time one of my friends were telling a story or showing an example, they would always turn to me as their prop. I knew it was subconscious, but I felt like me being the smaller guy had to play into it. That's a microaggression. But different than how we handle things today, I handled it myself and started to tell them I wasn't their prop and to use someone else, so it wasn't long before they quit.

I was thinking of posting something about this yesterday. When I was a kid, I was always a bit smaller than most of my friends. A lot of them were a bit older as well. Being the smaller guy I grew up with a little bit of a chip on my shoulder, so I always felt like I could never back down from anyone or let anyone push me around or it would continue to happen all my life. One day in high school I started noticing a trend. Every time one of my friends were telling a story or showing an example, they would always turn to me as their prop. I knew it was subconscious, but I felt like me being the smaller guy had to play into it. That's a microaggression. But different than how we handle things today, I handled it myself and started to tell them I wasn't their prop and to use someone else, so it wasn't long before they quit.

So, kinda like when @zeetes gets ribbed about his, ahem, stature? :hihi:

You seemed to be speaking in general terms & not specifically about this story, but yes, it could also apply to this story. You said that it was naive of us to think that black people can't tell the difference between being forgotten about and being discriminated against and I have to disagree. I think it's naive to think that black people don't sometimes confuse the two. I also think that there are some that apply racism without a second thought or much consideration at all. But I don't see that as a black thing, I see it as a human thing. We all sometimes feel personally slighted when something like that happens. Not every time, but it does happen. Having worked in a repair service department for a number of years, I used to see it on almost a daily basis from both sides of the counter and all it usually took to diffuse a situation was a little bit of understanding & compassion. So when I ask, do you think it's unfair to assume racism when it's not overt, that's not meant to be an accusation that everyone is just going around accusing people of racism, but being black and when slighted and when you feel it's personal even when there is no overt evidence, then is racism the first assumption and do you think that's fair?

A think a white guy assuming to know how black people should feel or approach possible racism is unfair. Your question, "is it unfair to assume racism if it isn't overt" gives the impression that racism that isn't overt is less common than overt racism. I would contend that the most common type of racism people encounter today is more discreet. So why would it be unfair to assume racism if it isn't overt?

Do you think overt racism is still more prevalent than discreet forms of it?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom