Starters Starting In Preseason Finale (1 Viewer)

I think he senses complacency. Nip that in the bud by doing something most teams won't. Making our starters play like their jobs are on the line too.
The poor guys, they have to go out there and play a game for an absurd amount of money, for one of the best QB/Coach tandems in history, and arguably the best fan base in the league. Give me that job, please.....

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Just because starters might play Thursday doesn't mean the QB will. Unless he specifically said so.

I think it's a sense of desperation on Payton's part. I think he desperately wants and needs this team to play well this year. That said I don't see #9, #94, #40, #10, #90, or #72 playing more than a series, if at all. The rest are fair game for an entire quarter if they don't come out on a mission.

On a totally different, unrelated note:

It seems like we get the 4th pre-season game at home a lot of the time, which holds little to no value as a season ticket holder. Although I haven't gone to pre-season games in a few years, it's a nice thing for those that will go to the Dome on Thursday night to be able to see Drew and the starters for possibly a quarter in what is usually the least interesting game of the season.

everything to lose, nothing to gain.

i hope coach changes his mind

Just because starters might play Thursday doesn't mean the QB will. Unless he specifically said so.

I think it's a sense of desperation on Payton's part. I think he desperately wants and needs this team to play well this year. That said I don't see #9, #94, #40, #10, #90, or #72 playing more than a series, if at all. The rest are fair game for an entire quarter if they don't come out on a mission.

CSP said they're all playing an entire quarter, DB9 included

This is sending a message to the team. Your play is unacceptable. Not even the starters have EARNED the right to sit out game 4 of the preseason. Everyone is on the hotseat.
We may look good against the Ravens scrubs but then again we may not. Imagine the starters looking bad against the Ravens backups? Think they're not worried about getting their stuff straight for that game?

100% truth. There is nothing to read between the lines in this, the message is clear.

Sean Payton is NOT a happy guy right now.

If it were up to me - starters only play 1 quarter.

But I won't be upset if they play the 1st half.

But...

I will be Really Miffed if the starters play in the 2nd half!

Really Miffed, I tell ya!

Dagnabbit!

Only thing that scares me is they will be going against guys who will be last to make top 53 or cut and will drop the hammer every chance they get with nothing to lose.
if we have to be afraid of our starters going up against backups and bubble players...then we are in bad shape...

One of the things overlooked in this is that many starters do play in the 4th preseason game... Not Brees and some play longer then others but while I like the message (this isn't good enough) it really isn't ground breaking...

It just means Brees, Jordan, Breaux etc will get more snaps then usual but I guarantee you the superstars won't play as much as those comments lead us to believe...

typically i would agree but bottom line i dont think we have EVER looked this bad in 3 preseason games and the oline will have new pieces to work with..

Surely they did not look as bad as back in preseason 2006??? If so, I will be very worried. Our schedule is a killer this season (unlike in 2006)

What is there to gain by playing your starters against a bunch of dudes who won't be in the NFL 3 days after the game?

What is there to gain by playing your starters against a bunch of dudes who won't be in the NFL 3 days after the game?

I'm sure your question was rhetorical, but there is a ton that needs to be gained in terms of team continuity. This team has a lot of new faces and desperately needs the reps in a game-like atmosphere to get in sync with each other. In this case, the skill level of the opponent is largely irrelevant.

Also, with all the mistakes that were made against the Steelers, it will be better to see if we have learned from those mistakes in a pre-season game than in Game 1 of the regular season.

This is sending a message to the team. Your play is unacceptable. Not even the starters have EARNED the right to sit out game 4 of the preseason. Everyone is on the hotseat.
We may look good against the Ravens scrubs but then again we may not. Imagine the starters looking bad against the Ravens backups? Think they're not worried about getting their stuff straight for that game?

This. I hope the message is received.

I am not worried about possible injuries. These guys need to be full go in 2 weeks for 4 quarters. Its a risk every practice too. If someone gets hurt that will be very unfortunate.

It is clear that this offense needs more time. They are not good even though they have great weapons. Hopefully another full quarter of game time action will help.

I'm not too worried about the D. They have looked pretty good as a unit. The Steelers game wasn't great but wasn't a train wreck either.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom