Starting LG for 2020 (1 Viewer)

I like Omameh but he’s more the back up LT. He played well filling in at both positions last year and needs to be re-signed. Eason didn’t play as much but he’s been a starter before and already under contract. I’m sure we will draft an O-Lineman in the later rounds, usually a OT and move the to Guard.

I would like to see him gain about 15-20lbs but if he were available in the 3rd round I would like the pick, he has enormous potential....
Damien Lewis is a other good choice, but don't expect him to step out to tackle. He's a Watford clone, but more agressive. He was a real headhunter this past season just looking for people to pancake and bully across the field.

Why did Easton not start over Peat? When Peat was out it seemed like Easton was an upgrade, but the coaches must see it differently.

What about moving Ryan Ramczyk over to left tackle and getting another Right tackle? He played it a few games in his rookie year and might be very good there and it’s easier to get right tackles then left!

Because RT protection for Drew is more important than LT protection since he gets the ball out quickly. It's the pressure that's in his face/line of view that matters more.

Damien Lewis is a other good choice, but don't expect him to step out to tackle. He's a Watford clone, but more agressive. He was a real headhunter this past season just looking for people to pancake and bully across the field.

I've actually started watching videos of some of the popular sports shows after LSU won the NC....and it absolutely confirmed what I already knew...they are mostly utter morons....after watching about 10 segments I don't think I heard LSU's offensive line mentioned once....I would not be surprised if a few of them go alot higher in the draft than expected. They were completely dominant most of the year....

Because RT protection for Drew is more important than LT protection since he gets the ball out quickly. It's the pressure that's in his face/line of view that matters more.
That is very interesting. Never heard that take before.

That is very interesting. Never heard that take before.

Go back and look at our history. When SP got here he moved Jamaal Brown to RT, he had Strief and Stinchcomb at RT, when we drafted Charles Brown we tried him 1st at RT, we used a 1st rounder on Peat to be the RT, and then a 1st on Ram to play RT.

Meanwhile Jermon Bushrod cost us a 4th, and Terron Armstead we used a 3rd on. We simply haven't put as much resources into that spot as we have RT

Perhaps it has less to do with Drew(just my Angle) and more to do with Paytons system which is timing based. I'm almost sure he draws up plays that get the ball out quickly as long as the QB is seeing what he needs to see and delivering the ball on time. So that minimizes how much damage an edge rusher can do unless he's an elite 2.5 seconds pressure guy. It's kind of why the Saints have never had as much issues with edge guys as they've had with interior guys which can ruin the timing MUCH quicker.

Go back and look at our history. When SP got here he moved Jamaal Brown to RT, he had Strief and Stinchcomb at RT, when we drafted Charles Brown we tried him 1st at RT, we used a 1st rounder on Peat to be the RT, and then a 1st on Ram to play RT.

Meanwhile Jermon Bushrod cost us a 4th, and Terron Armstead we used a 3rd on. We simply haven't put as much resources into that spot as we have RT

Perhaps it has less to do with Drew(just my Angle) and more to do with Paytons system which is timing based. I'm almost sure he draws up plays that get the ball out quickly as long as the QB is seeing what he needs to see and delivering the ball on time. So that minimizes how much damage an edge rusher can do unless he's an elite 2.5 seconds pressure guy. It's kind of why the Saints have never had as much issues with edge guys as they've had with interior guys which can ruin the timing MUCH quicker.

I think you got the history wrong.

Brown was our LT until his injury which allowed his backup, Bushrod to step in and play well during the season. His play allowed us to trade Brown to the Redskins. Charles Brown fell into our lap and he was supposed to be a better LT but Stinch's injury forced us to have him compete with Strief to be our RT. We then eventually let Bushrod walk since we had been developing Brown behind him. We also drafted Armstead that year who would have been a first round pick if he hadn't played at Arkansas Pine Bluff. Brown was a complete disaster and it let Armstead take over, solidify the position and eventually he'd be re-signed to a huge contract. Peat was drafted to play RT and take over for Strief but he was a bust at that position. So we had to spend another first round pick and draft Ramzcyk since we weren't developing anyone behind Strief.

I think you got the history wrong.

Brown was our LT until his injury which allowed his backup, Bushrod to step in and play well during the season. His play allowed us to trade Brown to the Redskins. Charles Brown fell into our lap and he was supposed to be a better LT but Stinch's injury forced us to have him compete with Strief to be our RT. We then eventually let Bushrod walk since we had been developing Brown behind him. We also drafted Armstead that year who would have been a first round pick if he hadn't played at Arkansas Pine Bluff. Brown was a complete disaster and it let Armstead take over, solidify the position and eventually he'd be re-signed to a huge contract. Peat was drafted to play RT and take over for Strief but he was a bust at that position. So we had to spend another first round pick and draft Ramzcyk since we weren't developing anyone behind Strief.

Fair enough but outside of your argument about Armstead having 1st round talent we've still had more resources go into the RT position. We were also willing to let Bushrod walk where we tried to keep Strief until the wheels fell off. I think NO has always prioritized RT and RG as key spots on offense with LT and LG being key dependent on the style of offense. When it was Air Coryell LG was worth FA money to Ben Grubbs after a last minute counter offer to Nicks. But through every Era we've had in the Saints offense you've had probowl RT's and RG's as a mainstay.

Arguably Center is important too in the Saints traded for Faine, traded for Unger, and then Traded up for McCoy but have been unafraid to let LG's or LT's walk depending the situation.

Last edited:
I've actually started watching videos of some of the popular sports shows after LSU won the NC....and it absolutely confirmed what I already knew...they are mostly utter morons....after watching about 10 segments I don't think I heard LSU's offensive line mentioned once....I would not be surprised if a few of them go alot higher in the draft than expected. They were completely dominant most of the year....
None of them are dominant, high round players but as a group they excelled. Cushenberry is probably the one who will play the longest, barring injury. Charles is the best athlete and is limited by technique. Lewis is the road grader who is limited in pass protection. Deculus is great at nothing, but solid at everything except handling speed guys off the edge. Magee lacked athleticsm and focus, but when he got himself straight he played his role well. Ingram missed last season and half of this season with legal issues. On the field, he's probably the best of them.

None of them are dominant, high round players but as a group they excelled. Cushenberry is probably the one who will play the longest, barring injury. Charles is the best athlete and is limited by technique. Lewis is the road grader who is limited in pass protection. Deculus is great at nothing, but solid at everything except handling speed guys off the edge. Magee lacked athleticsm and focus, but when he got himself straight he played his role well. Ingram missed last season and half of this season with legal issues. On the field, he's probably the best of them.

Agree on Ingram, but I actually think Charles has the most potential. I could see all of them having good NFL careers and Ingram, Charles and Cushenberry potentially having great ones.

The pass protection and run blocking (against teams with defensive players that will be playing in the NFL) was consistently outstanding....

I'm gonna go with Andrew Thomas if he drops to 24

Arguably Center is important too in the Saints traded for Faine, traded for Unger, and then Traded up for McCoy but have been unafraid to let LG's or LT's walk depending the situation.

To true.
I believe SP thinks that OC is the most important spot on the Oline.

Trade for Jeff Faine
2007 Signed Johnathan Goodwin
Signed Olin Kruetz
Signed Brian De La Puente
signed Johnathan Goodwin
traded for Max Under
Traded up for McCoy

Fair enough but outside of your argument about Armstead having 1st round talent we've still had more resources go into the RT position. We were also willing to let Bushrod walk where we tried to keep Strief until the wheels fell off. I think NO has always prioritized RT and RG as key spots on offense with LT and LG being key dependent on the style of offense. When it was Air Coryell LG was worth FA money to Ben Grubbs after a last minute counter offer to Nicks. But through every Era we've had in the Saints offense you've had probowl RT's and RG's as a mainstay.

Agreed we've put more resources into RT but in the Bushrod vs Strief argument I think Strief was the better player at his position. As evidenced by Bushrod's short career at LT after he left. In the years that Bushrod and CB started we had to change up the offense to quicker throws and more chips/max protect due to them being a liability.

RG will always be the priority over LG because the RG goes up against the 3-tech. They need to be better in pass protection.

In support of your argument and a change in mine it's easier for Brees to roll out to the right than the left so it makes sense that your RT has to be a pro bowler or pressure from that side can completely kill a big part of your offense.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom