Starting LG for 2020 (1 Viewer)

butkus

Draft Fanatic
Reaction score
Let's talk that sexy starting position of LG.

With the limited cap space Saints will have to work with this offseason, I believe the Saints will go with a low price veteran and draft a rookie guard to compete. Peat will likely leave via free agency and Warford is in the last year of his deal, so using the 1st/3rd/or 4th rd pick on a OG is a true need.

My hope for the low price veteran just happens to have been on the roster last season and is a free agent:

Patrick Omameh - 6'4" 327 (8yr vet - 30 yrs old)
57 career starts at OG with only 1 career false start penalty and 11 career holding penalties.
He grades better as run blocker than pass protector which works well with Saints quick passing and power/wildcat running game.
I thought he outperformed Nick Easton and Will Clapp last season.

Easton has a $5.5 mill cap hit next season and would provide $4 mill in cap relief if cut.

Would Omameh come back on 1 year deal with a chance to start for $2-3 mill?

Any 1 yr prove it deals for a free agent guard anyone else hoping for?

Anyone high enough on Easton to keep him as the starter for the $5.5 mill cap hit?

So how much is Brandon Scherff going to sign somewhere for?

Spotrac's market estimations have been pretty spot on so far. They cited the average contracts of Zack Martin, Andrew Norwell, Cordy Glenn, and Trai Turner as reference points.

They were just about on the money with DJ Humphries market value Left Tackle for the Arizona Cardinals, which they estimated at $14 mil per year and he ended up signing a 3 year, 45 Mil deal ($15 mil per)

Scherff is most peoples #1 ranked Guard on the market, him or Thuney are pretty much 1A, 1B to me. (Thuney slightly better as a pass blocker, Scherff better in the run game) You have to take into account inflation, plus open market bidding. So I think that number is pretty accurate.

Soloman Kindley should be available at 24
..and he should be available in the 4th to 5th round as well...

Spotrac's market estimations have been pretty spot on so far. They cited the average contracts of Zack Martin, Andrew Norwell, Cordy Glenn, and Trai Turner as reference points.

They were just about on the money with DJ Humphries market value Left Tackle for the Arizona Cardinals, which they estimated at $14 mil per year and he ended up signing a 3 year, 45 Mil deal ($15 mil per)

Scherff is most peoples #1 ranked Guard on the market, him or Thuney are pretty much 1A, 1B to me. (Thuney slightly better as a pass blocker, Scherff better in the run game) You have to take into account inflation, plus open market bidding. So I think that number is pretty accurate.

..and he should be available in the 4th to 5th round as well...
What makes you say that? Everything I have read has him going before pick 50. I don’t watch tape to, just the games on.

What makes you say that? Everything I have read has him going before pick 50. I don’t watch tape to, just the games on.
On Kindley? I'd be massively surprised if he goes before Day 3.

I spoke to a few guys with Scouting experience at Mobile, and they see Kindley as a Day 3, back end of the roster type guy. His film isn't great, sloppy feet, slides off a lot of blocks for being a 330 pounder. Struggles to keep blocks centered, doesn't use hands well. A major problem with him is on film his first point of contact is with his helmet off the line, dips and strikes with his helmet as a weapon. That is a very bad habit that has to be corrected. As that will get him injured at the next level pretty quickly.

Lance Zierlein of NFL.com has him at a 5.50 grade - CHANCE TO MAKE END OF ROSTER OR PRACTICE SQUAD
Solomon Kindley - Scouting Report

Highly doubt we draft a “true” guard.

Since 2006 I believe we’ve only drafted 2 true guards (by “true” guard I mean played guard in college and the NFL), Andy Alleman in 2007 and Andrew Tiller in 2012.

In the same span, we’ve drafted 11 players that played OT in college, 3 of which we moved to guard (Evans, Nicks, and Peat).

Payton likes those behemoth, athletic guards and if we don’t sign one in free agency, I can see us drafting another tackle and moving them to guard again looking to capture that same lightning in a bottle.

Since 2006 I believe we’ve only drafted 2 true guards (by “true” guard I mean played guard in college and the NFL), Andy Alleman in 2007 and Andrew Tiller in 2012.

In the same span, we’ve drafted 11 players that played OT in college, 3 of which we moved to guard (Evans, Nicks, and Peat).

Payton likes those behemoth, athletic guards and if we don’t sign one in free agency, I can see us drafting another tackle and moving them to guard again looking to capture that same lightning in a bottle.
Wouldn't be surprised if Calvin Throckmorton, from Oregon is heavily on the Saints radar.

Experienced 4 year starter, that played every position on the O-line except Left Tackle. His listed position was Right Tackle, but he projects better as an Interior Guard at the NFL.

Smart instincts and good academically, durable in college, good upper body strength and powerful punch, but has some lower body stiffness which can be covered up playing Inside at Guard.

Seems like a Payton type of OL to me.. he had a rough senior bowl because he got called up late and they played him at Left Tackle the only position he didn't play at Oregon so he struggled... which could cause him to slip into the 4th-5th rounds where I can see the Saints snatching him up.

Calvin Throckmorton - Scouting Report
As a third-team Associated Press All-American and first-team All-Pac-12 selection his senior year, he started 12 games at right tackle and two at center for the injured Jake Hanson. He started at four different positions for the Ducks in 2018 (six at right tackle, five at left tackle, one at center, one at right guard), earning honorable mention All-Pac-12 honors. He was an honorable mention all-conference pick in 2017 after starting all 13 games, the first 10 games at right tackle and the final three games at right guard. Even as a redshirt freshman, Throckmorton showed his durability by starting all 12 games at the right tackle spot. He's called "Doc Throck" by his teammates because he's smart (3.8 GPA, 2019 second-team Academic All-American). He was a first-team all-state and All-Seattle Metro star on both the offensive and defensive line at Bellevue's Newport High School before signing with Oregon.

I think a tackle that plays guard would be ideal for us. Could potentially be a backup for Armstead. There are several guys that could be there at round 3 or 4 that fit the mold. Getting the Ragin Cajun, Robert Hunt, from my alma mater would be cool.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom