Starting to get a 1989 Cowboys (1-15) vibe from the 2016 Saints (1 Viewer)

Doug B

Fanaticus Sanctorum
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
So much youth being rolled out every week. It's sink or swim, and so far there's been a lot of sinking.

The 1989 Cowboys came to the Superdome that year. I think it was even on MNF. Can't look up the score now, but the Saints handled the Pokes comfortably with Steve Walsh at the helm. That Cowboys team had youth all over the field, and played like it. But those kids were getting hardened by the fire -- the foundation of their 90's was being built.

Seeing something similar in these 2016 Saints. The big difference is of course young Aikman vs older Brees. Just don't know if Brees can stay good long enough to see these current kids through to their eventual emergence. Hope springs eternal.
Posted via Mobile Device

The 1989 Cowboys came to the Superdome that year. I think it was even on MNF. Can't look up the score now, but the Saints handled the Pokes comfortably with Steve Walsh at the helm. That Cowboys team had youth all over the field, and played like it. But those kids were getting hardened by the fire -- the foundation of their 90's was being built.

Man, I flubbed these facts:

- This game was the 1989 season opener
- Not Monday night
- Bobby Hebert was still QB (it was the next season he sat out)

But at least I remembered the comfortable victory (28-0) accurately :)

Point still stands, though. The 2016 Saints look to be headed to a putrid record ... but maybe this baptism of fire for so many young players bodes well for 2017-18?

So much youth being rolled out every week. It's sink or swim, and so far there's been a lot of sinking.

Seeing something similar in these 2016 Saints. The big difference is of course young Aikman vs older Brees. Just don't know if Brees can stay good long enough to see these current kids through to their eventual emergence. Hope springs eternal.
Posted via Mobile Device

Man, I flubbed these facts:

- This game was the 1989 season opener
- Not Monday night
- Bobby Hebert was still QB (it was the next season he sat out)

But at least I remembered the comfortable victory (28-0) accurately :)

Point still stands, though. The 2016 Saints look to be headed to a putrid record ... but maybe this baptism of fire for so many young players bodes well for 2017-18?

You also got the QB wrong...it wasn't Steve Walsh. It was rookie Troy Aikman.

No way a team led by Brees goes 1-15. His arm will win us 5-7 games minimal. There will be games where we go up and down the field on teams (just like last night) and we'll get a few lucky breaks along the way.

For reference: http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/198909100nor.htm

Anyway, no way is this a 1-15 roster. We've just been spoiled and don't quite remember what truly horrid, 1-15/3-13 football looks like. 1-15 teams, in today's game, don't have QBs throwing for 376 yards and 3 touchdowns and leading the NFL in passing.

You also got the QB wrong...it wasn't Steve Walsh. It was rookie Troy Aikman.

No, no ... I thought Walsh QBed the Saints that day :D I was a year off.

Anyway, no way is this a 1-15 roster. We've just been spoiled and don't quite remember what truly horrid, 1-15/3-13 football looks like. 1-15 teams, in today's game, don't have QBs throwing for 376 yards and 3 touchdowns and leading the NFL in passing.

Well, the defensive squad on the field last night was a 1-15 defense.

IOW, the defense that actually played, not counting hurt guys. Imagine the 2016 Saints D with no Breaux, Rankins, Vaccaro, etc. on the roster at all.

D and ST are definitely 1-15 quality. If we win a couple more, it will only be b/c of Drew Brees.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom