Stat comparison of Pete Werner vs Kwon Alexander through two games (1 Viewer)

No, there were camps that wanted Kwon over Werner, as well as those who wanted both. Including suggestions Kwon should remain starter. In both camps, the underlying motivation seemed to be a lack of comfort with Werner as the starter, with various largely incorrect assertions about his size/speed/agility/experience/injury status being put about. The practice absences during preseason, while he rehabbed, only heightened the anxiety among a number of posters.

Whatever the motivation, the desire to have both here was unsustainable, as proven by Kwon deciding to start elsewhere.

The concept of starter redundancy (retaining more starters than there are starting positions available) is a fan fantasy that people keep trying to speak into existence.

Werner was drafted to replace Kwon. Simple as that. And he has done so.
I’ll take your word for it. There were quite a few Kwon threads.

For all the talk about prospects needing 3 years to know what you’ve got. That’s BS and something that we tell ourselves to force ourselves into being more patient with busts. The great players almost universally show it right away. The good players typically show something their first year. Ruiz and Trautman showed us absolutely nothing year one…and big shocker…they are still not good. People tried to convince me that Turner was good after year 1, when I saw absolutely nothing. Here we are year 2 and he can’t even be active on game days. A good first season doesn’t guarantee that the player will sustain success, but a bad first season is a bad omen for things to come.

Not sure why dude tweeted this out as if it means anything... Werner is the 2nd round pick that should have gotten the nod over Kwon in the first place. Werner was the right decision for his own development... regardless of who fans thought was the better player. The team did offer Kwon a contract but Kwon turned it down for a bigger role with the Jets. It is what it is... not sure why folks are still beating the hell out of that dead horse.

But for a moment I'll be THAT guy. Looking at those stats, Werner played in a little more than half of the snaps that Kwon has played, and if you split Werner's numbers in "roughly half" his numbers will look a lot like Kwon's except for a couple variables...

Kwon isn't playing with the same level of talent around him as Werner is, and regardless of what those stats say... I doubt Werner has given up 6 catches for 6 yards. I'd need to see those 6 catches because that's unbelievable. If that were 6 rushes for 6 yards then yeah that can happen... but 1 yard per CATCH? nah bruh. If true then he's the goat coverage LB.

I liked Kwon but it was time to hand the baton to Werner so that he can develop, and the team get their return on their 2nd round investment. Werner has balled the hell out for us so far, so it was a good decision. Let Kwon live, and let Pete do his thang.

In all fairness, Werner had some inconsistencies in year 1 in pass coverage. Especially in the open field. Kwon's speed and athleticism make him good in zone coverage and open field tackling, but he's a liability in the run game as he often loses his fit relying on his speed too much.

There's nothing wrong with fans wanting Kwon on the team and there's nothing wrong with those that thought Werner was better. They each have their own set of strengths. I still wish Kwon was here. Especially if DD ever misses time. Werner at MLB and Kwon on his side is still a formidable group. The real issue to me was that Kwon was better than anybody not named DD or Pete.

Do you truly believe that Kwon Alexander is a better LB right now? As a follow-up question…how long have you been an LSU fan?
I hate this narrative. Kwon brought a lot of juice to our team when he arrived. I wanted him badly and I'm far from an LSU fan. I could care less what college somebody played for. Not everybody that wants a player who played at LSU has that as their motivation. Dude made our defense better from the moment he arrived in NOLA.

Kwon's numbers look pretty good. However making Werner starter was correct move.

Kwon going to Jets was correct move for him. For his career staying 3rd LBer would not have been good

People tried to convince me that Turner was good after year 1, when I saw absolutely nothing.
I just wana make sure I’m understanding you correctly for context of your opinion.

You’re saying you “saw absolutely nothing” (from Payton to make you think he’s going to be good)??

That way I can know how seriously I can take your opinion.

************ your statement ********
For all the talk about prospects needing 3 years to know what you’ve got. That’s BS and something that we tell ourselves to force ourselves into being more patient with busts.
So you don’t believe players develop and improve? You’re either good year one or you won’t be good?

Interesting takes…

1663985667397.gif

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom