Video State of the Saints Podcast: I’m Over Aaron Glenn (1 Viewer)

While what he says has a lot of truth to it, how much is on the players? You can teach and teach and drill scheme all you want but if the players aren’t doing it who’s to blame? Does Glenn have the authority to pull a player who isn’t doing his job? Is that Allen’s call or Payton’s call. If Williams is always out of position then why is he in the game?

While what he says has a lot of truth to it, how much is on the players? You can teach and teach and drill scheme all you want but if the players aren’t doing it who’s to blame? Does Glenn have the authority to pull a player who isn’t doing his job? Is that Allen’s call or Payton’s call. If Williams is always out of position then why is he in the game?

All good questions.

I think we’ll find out a lot about Payton’s answers over the next few weeks.

Well, if basically all the players are making the same mistakes over and over again there is a good chance the problem is coaching.

Glenn's defensive boss is more of the overall issue here.

I have very little "issue" with Aaron as our positions coach.

Kris Richards is still available. He was the legend of boom Secondary coach, and recently worked coached the Cowgirls. That would put our defense in a position to succeed.

Attachments

• CF3DDBD6-D0D0-4FD8-B6CF-C2621704C72E.jpeg
    CF3DDBD6-D0D0-4FD8-B6CF-C2621704C72E.jpeg
    561.6 KB · Views: 5
Well, if basically all the players are making the same mistakes over and over again there is a good chance the problem is coaching.

Or some of the players.....just don't get it like they should, but there aren't any replacements just waiting around to be signed.

Difficult to tell, honestly.

One comment I will make -- we haven't had a true ballhawk back there in quite a while, and Marcus Williams is more famous to me for the big plays he doesn't make (missed tackle at Minny, falling down on that long bomb against the 49ers that got them right back in the ballgame) than for those he does.

And we sure do give up a lot of big plays back there in big games.

Is Kris really any better than Aaron though? Dallas secondary struggled just as much as the Saints.
The Cowgirls were ranked 10th against the pass. We were ranked 20th against the pass. The Cowgirls gave up only 5 passes over 40 + yards. We gave up 13 passes over 40 + yards. I would say that Kris Richard is an upgrade over Aaron Glenn.

Stings to hear but it’s true whether coaching or players. Maybe a combination. But for whatever reason Williams is reading the wrong keys and his responses are late in critical plays late in games. The knee cap tackling is another thing that should have ended 2 seasons ago.

I hope we pick up Janoris Jenkins option for next season. We could have our best corners...maybe ever.

Should we upgrade Glenn? I don’t see why not.

The Cowgirls were ranked 10th against the pass. We were ranked 20th against the pass. The Cowgirls gave up only 5 passes over 40 + yards. We gave up 13 passes over 40 + yards. I would say that Kris Richard is an upgrade over Aaron Glenn.
And the Cowboys had the number 2 ranked passing attack number 5 ranked rushing attack but only managed to win 8 games...

As a unit I think we all agree that the secondary needs an upgrade. But to say that because our statistics are this or that is reason to let a coach go is bad. In context Glenn aided turning Lattimore into Rookie of the Year and a solid number 1. He took Crawley, PJ Williams and Apple and made them serviceable. The dude is a miracle worker if you ask me. IMO its a talent deficit and not coaching.

And the Cowboys had the number 2 ranked passing attack number 5 ranked rushing attack but only managed to win 8 games...

As a unit I think we all agree that the secondary needs an upgrade. But to say that because our statistics are this or that is reason to let a coach go is bad. In context Glenn aided turning Lattimore into Rookie of the Year and a solid number 1. He took Crawley, PJ Williams and Apple and made them serviceable. The dude is a miracle worker if you ask me. IMO its a talent deficit and not coaching.
In my opinion the Cowgirls went 8 and 8 because of their head coach was out Coach most of the time, and the owner wanting to be a general manager. The Cowgirls defense wasn’t the problem. Going forward, I agree with you regarding Glenn coaching up the secondary went he first arrived in New Orleans. However Glenn has hit a wall. I remember Scott Shanle was being interviewed on WWL in the summer of 2013 regarding Steve Spagnuolo. Kristian Garic asked Shanle why did Spagnuolo have success in New York, and why Spagnuolo couldn’t replicate that with the Saints. Shanle says “ coaches loss it just like players loss it”. At first I thought Shanle was salt because Spagnuolo cut him the previous season, but in retrospect Shanle had a point. I believe this applies to Aaron Glenn and the regression of the Secondary. Notice that ever since defensive line coach Ryan Nielsen and former linebacker coach Mike Nolan arrived in New Orleans that their positions groups got better each season, and the secondary got worst each season. I see a trend and it’s definitely not promising if the Saints decide to say with Aaron Glenn going forward.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom