Speculation State of the team (1 Viewer)

If this team would’ve been injury minimal, and younger players develop then I could’ve seen a run into the playoffs. But injuries have killed this team. It’s never easy transitioning from a Brees, Brady, Young, Aikman pick it, and continuing success. Added to a salary cap mess and everything, this team will be lucky to break even now. Payton isn’t stupid. He didn’t just get dumb. Yes he’s still trying to win, but he’s also seeing if any of the pieces he has are worth going forward with. So far, there isn’t a wideout that is worth league minimum as depth. QB is a mess. RB isn’t any better. Offensive line with Ram is an oddity, but the other two are they really worth their pay?

Lots and lots of questions. I predict this team will look very very different next year

Looking at these threads, you’d swear we were 2-8 or 3-7 right now. Our HOF QB retired, we lost our new starter to injury, along with countless others starting players. We are 2-4 wins from where most predicted we would be this season, and that was before losing these players. It’s normal to have a down year after a transition like we’re going through. Truth is, had we not had such unfortunate injury luck, we truly may have finished with 10 wins or so. Some people do not have proper perspective.
When you’ve lived through as many losing or 8-8 teams that almost made the playoffs as I have you can smell beneath the green grass that’s growing on top of a crap pile. If Jameis had been healthy we were going to be a 10-7 to 9-8 team with a early exit from the playoffs. Now it’s time to check on the young guy before we take this season to the train station. We are in a good position to do just that. Give him all the snaps with the first team and let’s see what we have. Maybe we find out that he can drive a sports car or he’s a horse pulling the wagon.

When you’ve lived through as many losing or 8-8 teams that almost made the playoffs as I have you can smell beneath the green grass that’s growing on top of a crap pile. If Jameis had been healthy we were going to be a 10-7 to 9-8 team with a early exit from the playoffs. Now it’s time to check on the young guy before we take this season to the train station. We are in a good position to do just that. Give him all the snaps with the first team and let’s see what we have. Maybe we find out that he can drive a sports car or he’s a horse pulling the wagon.
I think it’s fan curiosity at this point with Book. If Payton even thought he was remotely ready to be thrown into the fire, he might do it. But I’ve said for a long time, and I still say Payton will never throw a rookie to the wolves just to see what we have.

I think it’s fan curiosity at this point with Book. If Payton even thought he was remotely ready to be thrown into the fire, he might do it. But I’ve said for a long time, and I still say Payton will never throw a rookie to the wolves just to see what we have.

This probably wasn't the best week to see what Book has. Backup LT, LG and RT with a RG that's a been a turnstile sometimes allowing the QB and RBs to be blown up.

It’s a rough season so far and we’ve had some truly terrible luck but I don’t think the franchise is in trouble. Payton just has to recalibrate the team. It doesn’t happen in one season and next season maybe tough too due to being hard against the cap. But I am still confident in Payton and Loomis to right the ship. Get a solid draft and add some young playmakers at the skill positions and it’ll look a lot better.

If the team does fall out of contention this year they should start Book for a few games just to see what they have. I don’t think 3 or so games will ruin him for life. It’ll be good to evaluate him and if he shows he has the right stuff it might save the team from being overly desperate to draft a QB early. I’m also for bringing Winston back. I really think he was growing each week

Am I the only person who viewed this season from the very start as a rebuilding season? The team has exceeded my expectations when things have gelled and I’m under no illusion (*cough* delusion) that this a Super Bowl quality team.

Same here. I remember these discussions in training camp. I remember people thinking we would be BETTER without Brees....lol.

This year and next are rebuilding years. We have no depth in many positions and no WR out side of Thomas. QB is who knows??

Salary cap hell for at least another year. My opinion: pick a QB and stick with him. Build through the draft and the team could be really good again by 2023.

We have played above our station this season but the injuries are finally catching up. Our best offensive player is Mark Ingram and our starting QB was booted from the Broncos when they had terrible seasons. Let that sink in. We just don't have good players.

Who are we gonna trade him to for this, because we’re not even fielding a first team.
You make a very good point. But if Jameis was back he’d be playing with this same group and if he played bad we’d be fussing about him playing bad. CSP looks at the big picture that we don’t get to see. We don’t see the day to day evaluation of the player but the coaches do.

I would really like to see what we have in Book. If he comes in this year and plays well then we’ll have a open QB contest between him and Jameis. If he comes in and lights it up then we have our future at QB and can focus our draft selections on areas of need

Exactly!

Personally, Book it!

NW.

A couple key differences. SP isn't Haz. Haz didn't have this scouting department. Haz didn't have a decade and a half of winning culture. Haz didn't have a clue. He let the dogs out but that's about it.

I know things aren't looking great right now but let's not start comparing anything to the end of the Haz era. I don't think we're that bad off yet. Most of us knew this would be a transitional year. Brees retired and the cap isn't in great shape. This was just a season that had to be played because we can't fast forward though it.

Last edited:
A couple key differences. SP isn't Haz. Haz didn't have this scouting department. Haz didn't have a decade a half of winning culture. Haz didn't have a clue. He let the dogs out but that's about it.

I know things aren't looking great right now but let's not start comparing anything to the end of the Haz era. I don't think we're that bad off yet. Most of us knew this would be a transitional year. Brees retired and the cap isn't in great shape. This was just a season that had to be played because we can't fast forward though it.
I didn’t want to say CSP is anywhere close to what Haslett was because he’s not. CSP is by far the better coach. That 2 year span of Haslett in 2004-2005 sucked. Then getting kicked in the butt with Katrina almost knocked this region out but we were too tough for that. The whole atmosphere of that span concerning the team was dismal knowing the team wasn’t very good. I know we have a lot of injuries and we are playing with a partial team after losing our HOF QB. This has been the first time in a long time that I’m just not feeling it with this team. I’m a fan and always will be but I just don’t like the feeling of having a average team.

I didn’t want to say CSP is anywhere close to what Haslett was because he’s not. CSP is by far the better coach. That 2 year span of Haslett in 2004-2005 sucked. Then getting kicked in the butt with Katrina almost knocked this region out but we were too tough for that. The whole atmosphere of that span concerning the team was dismal knowing the team wasn’t very good. I know we have a lot of injuries and we are playing with a partial team after losing our HOF QB. This has been the first time in a long time that I’m just not feeling it with this team. I’m a fan and always will be but I just don’t like the feeling of having a average team.
Hey I get it. Nobody wants to invest all this time and energy into an average or terrible team. But for me this season is tracking with my expectations coming in. I was thinking 8 or 9 wins with a healthy team. So to be at .500 right now despite the most adversity I have ever seen a NFL team face, it's not ideal but it'll have to do.

I always thought this was just a bridge season. A transitional year. Fight for a playoff spot and if we don't make it then oh well. At least we'll have better draft position.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom