State & Saints enter preliminary negotiations for long-term deal -- new stadium likely off the table (1 Viewer)

Whoooooooo Hoooooooo DATTTTTTTTTT......

Great news, i don't EVER want a new stadium anyways, the Dome is the sickest thing ever... have you ever passed by anyone walking into/out of the dome for the 1st time.... it's almost religious, you WILL go back.... i mean it's walking distance for the Quarter, and the biggest party street in the U.S. and in the heart of the city.... unless they wanna tear it down and build a "MEGA SUPER DOME" in the exact same spot, i say leave it be...

Your right on my friend. I was in the Dome for the first time last year & cant wait to go back this year. It is religious & i was really impressed with it. Theirs nothing wrong with the Dome & dont worry about what everyone else has. I kinda like the lighting in it too when im watching games on the tv. You know its the Dome straight away. Fair enough tailgating area is small but look you can drink not to far from it anyway.
Hopefully i will get to see a victory there this time. That loss against the Titans made me so miserable on my holiday.

If Jindal does the hat trick at saving the Hornets AND the Saints signed up long term, he is hands down the best governor since Russell Long, Mckeithen and Hale Boggs, the men who got this team to the area all along in the 60's.

Russell Long was Governor?

No, and neither was Hale Boggs. And a "hat trick" in sports parlance refers to things in threes (three goals, usually). Hornets and Saints are only two......

C'mon Saintman2884, you can do better than that!

This is fantastic news IMO. However, I don't think the team will do anything long-term with at least some indication of when a new stadium will be constructed.

For what it's worth, Reliant Stadium in Houston has a retractable roof. A couple of years back, they kept it open during a very hot September game against Pittsburgh. Fans there were sweltering, and it generated the roof policy they have now - the roof stays closed if it's warmer than 80 degrees or cooler than 60 (I think) degrees. Or when it rains. The roof is closed far more than it is open for games there.

I think the relationship Jindal has with Benson will help get things done.

Let's hope so.

a retractable stadium would be obscenely expensive....and pointless...sure its fun to watch an outdoor game in beautiful weather...but i used to hate going to tulane stadium as a kid....my dad had to make sure were hydrated it was so hot...the roof would necessarly be closed for both preseason games in august, and all games in sep and oct. that's 60% of the games. on the other 4 games it could rain or still be too hot or otherwise uncomfortable...seems like a big waste of money for maybe 1 or 2 nice games a year...a tailgating area would be nice, but it is certainly the best located stadium in america, and ties the quarter and cbd together ...

1 0r 2 games??? September would really be the only bad month. October is usually cool and dry, November the same, and December is cold! What city do you live in? I loved watching games in Tulane Stadium..it was one of the best times of my football-watching life. I remember the rainstorms and hot weather, but there were also the beautiful days and cold games, which were GREAT. I think the problem with your experience was that you were too young to appreciate it. Little kids get cranky when they're hot and uncomfortable. Lastly, how is it the best located stadium? It's on the other side of the CBD from the quarter! You have to walk like a mile and a half to get to the FQ. It's right next to the expressway, and you have to walk through this disgusting area to get to your car if it's late at night and you didn't want to pay the exorbitant fee. I used to hate that.

I think that most of the people who don't want a new stadium have never been to a game outside of the dome.

Last edited:
Lastly, how is it the best located stadium? It's on the other side of the CBD from the quarter! You have to walk like a mile and a half to get to the FQ. It's right next to the expressway, and you have to walk through this disgusting area to get to your car if it's late at night and you didn't want to pay the exorbitant fee. I used to hate that.
You can walk. Many places require that you drive or catch public transportation, but most don't even have access to anything remotely like the FQ.

Outdoor stadiums blow during day games. Why do you think people get so upset when games are not held at night in Baton Rouge. Tradition is a big part of it, but it's done because the days during football season are not suited for football except for a couple games a year.

Retractable roof stadiums are quite possibly the most pointless thing in the world, right after diamond studded dog collars...

1 0r 2 games??? September would really be the only bad month. October is usually cool and dry, November the same, and December is cold! What city do you live in? I loved watching games in Tulane Stadium..it was one of the best times of my football-watching life. I remember the rainstorms and hot weather, but there were also the beautiful days and cold games, which were GREAT. I think the problem with your experience was that you were too young to appreciate it. Little kids get cranky when they're hot and uncomfortable. Lastly, how is it the best located stadium? It's on the other side of the CBD from the quarter! You have to walk like a mile and a half to get to the FQ. It's right next to the expressway, and you have to walk through this disgusting area to get to your car if it's late at night and you didn't want to pay the exorbitant fee. I used to hate that.

I think that most of the people who don't want a new stadium have never been to a game outside of the dome.

:smilielol: LOL! October in New Orleans and "cool and dry" do not belong in the same sentence. I lived there for my entire life up until Katrina, and October as a whole month is never "cool and dry" maybe a few days at the end of the month, but for the most part it's exactly like September.

A retractable roof in New Orleans is not a good idea. When you think of the Saints you instantly think of the Louisiana Superdome. It's just like Peanut Butter and Jelly, alone they are ok, but together they are amazing!

ron forman was on the local news stating the lsed is in the process of attempting to purchase the new orleans centre and, as arnie fielkow had proposed in early 2005, make the area and buildings into a sports oriented center with tailgating areas. they may not be greenspace, but they would serve the purpose!

also, anyone else notice as soon as ron forman was put into place, things started happening? maybe shinn and benson just didn't want to do business with blanco yes men?

i like the dome. a new staidium would cost each and every ticket holder a FORTUNE in seat licensing, something i can't afford.

:smilielol: LOL! October in New Orleans and "cool and dry" do not belong in the same sentence. I lived there for my entire life up until Katrina, and October as a whole month is never "cool and dry" maybe a few days at the end of the month, but for the most part it's exactly like September.

A retractable roof in New Orleans is not a good idea. When you think of the Saints you instantly think of the Louisiana Superdome. It's just like Peanut Butter and Jelly, alone they are ok, but together they are amazing!

You sure must not be living in the same city that I've lived in for 54 years (oh wait, you don't even live here anymore), because October is my favorite month out of the year. Here's the average temps:

http://www.wunderground.com/NORMS/D...me=New_Orleans&Units=none&IATA=MSY&normals=on

Seems to me that when the average high is 84 and the average low is 65, it's cool, don't you think? If anyone living here can't take an average Oct temp of 75 deg, they better move north.

:no:

Last edited:
As far as the stadium issue is concerned, the state should speak to the NFL and find out what they need to do to remain in the Superbowl picture, and then execute it, whether it be existing dome, massively renovated dome or new stadium.

the dome is in awful condition, after going to the Houston game, I realized how outdated the dome is compared to other stadiums, IMO one of the worst stadiums in the league

Long term, we need a new stadium. Benson wants a new stadium. The NFL would help to build a new stadium. Put in in the spot where the projects are being torn down.

Someone needs to explain to me what exactly is so wrong with the dome. I know Benson wants a new stadium, but aside from this, why do fans want to dump the dome and get a new stadium? I don't understand how the dome can be so 'outdated'. You're there to watch football. If there is a field, reasonably comfortable seats, bathrooms, and some concession stands, what else do you need? At the risk of sounding like an angry 80 year old man, it's a football game, shouldn't the focus be on the field, not all these gadgets and gizmos and side shows and other ancillary attractions?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom