State & Saints enter preliminary negotiations for long-term deal -- new stadium likely off the table (1 Viewer)

State/Saints preliminary negotiations - new stadium likely off the table

Mike Conti Reporting

While the state continues to negotiate for a long term lease extention with the Hornets, efforts are also getting underway to keep the Saints in New Orleans beyond the expiration of their contract in 2010.

Superdome Commission Chair Ron Forman says representatives from the state and the Saints are now talking.

"Some conversations have begun," said Forman. "And we're eager to get to a long term agreement."

http://wwl.com/State---Saints-preliminary-negotations---new-stadi/1818578

:beerchug:

While definately positive, I don't know how great of news this is. This is just the beginning and could draw out for months or years, like it has before.

As long as there are talks, we should consider it positive. The State needs to get out from paying the annual 12-20 Million it does to host the state. In my opinion, they need to cut out completely. Use that money as a future investment....put it all in an account that is earmarked for a future stadium. Half would be in the name of the state and the other half would be in the name of Benson for a future date....say 12 years. At the 12 year mark, that money would be used to start the financing of a brand new stadium....new or existing location. With that kind of time frame, it would give the city a chance to rebuild and shape itself more for what the future holds. As the time gets closer, teams could be assembled to see where the best location dependant upon that particular time......not 12 years prior. The city is going to go through a major transformation over that time and this allows everyone to agree that there is a plan and give everyone a chance to start working on the plan and ultimately....implement the plan.

Benson would get some money each year, knowing that is being put into the stadium as HIS investment...increasing his wealth, while increasing the value of his investment. It's like he's earning equity and the NFL would love it, because that's less they would need to invest.

They could even do another option of taking 66% and do the above solution and use the other 33% to improve the current dome each year. This way is another site is ever proposed, the stadium can still be considered "useful" for it's other venues and heck....make a deal with Benson that he can get a certain percentage of the revenues from that.

I guess I'm just trying to say there are ways to get this done and not have the State, Benson or SMG bent over a barrel trying to fit a square peg in a round hole....no one wins that way!

If they build a new stadium they could probably get FEMA to pitch in as long as it was on high groud , so it could be used as a evacuation place. They offered 1.5 mill for a community shelter / community center after Ivan.

If they build a new stadium they could probably get FEMA to pitch in as long as it was on high groud , so it could be used as a evacuation place. They offered 1.5 mill for a community shelter / community center after Ivan.

This couldnt be any further from the truth...FEMA reimburses base on damaged property...not just because someone had an idea.

Thank god....

Just please don't build a new stadium. Upgrade the Dome! The best location of any stadium in America....

NO KIDDING!! I totally understand that they want new, modern facilities and that's cool. But I love the fact that our team plays in the heart of the city, which also happens to be the most recognizable piece of our skyline.

After my first trip to the Dome this year along with some interesting facts I learned about the Dome.....I feel all the Dome needs is....
1. Finish fixing the ceiling.
2. Some real good renovations inside.
3. Expand the Dome for Saints games like they did the Sugar Bowl.

I don't see why these things can't happen and in the process make the Dome an up-to-date modern facility.

Oh maybe some sort of good de-humidifying system so the floors on the ramps aren't so slippery. ;0)

Thank god....

Just please don't build a new stadium. Upgrade the Dome! The best location of any stadium in America....

You've got to be kidding. No tailgating area, no natural grass, plenty of bad viewlines, not enough suites (for Tom Benson anyway), and in a depressed economic zone next to an expressway. Besides that, it's dreary and old. I went to countless games there from 1975 to 1998 when I had season tickets and I hated it. The lighting is artificial-looking too. It's like watching a football game in a huge fieldhouse. Let's pony up and build a new stadium, preferably by the river, and with a retractable roof, ike all the other 21st century teams please! I've been to many a stadium outside the city, and it's like a whole new game-going experience to sit outdoors.

I love the dome, but if they are going to build a new stadium it should definitely be called 'super mega dome' (working on what obwhiteo started).

You've got to be kidding. No tailgating area, no natural grass, plenty of bad viewlines, not enough suites (for Tom Benson anyway), and in a depressed economic zone next to an expressway. Besides that, it's dreary and old. I went to countless games there from 1975 to 1998 when I had season tickets and I hated it. The lighting is artificial-looking too. It's like watching a football game in a huge fieldhouse. Let's pony up and build a new stadium, preferably by the river, and with a retractable roof, ike all the other 21st century teams please! I've been to many a stadium outside the city, and it's like a whole new game-going experience to sit outdoors.

Heck no. I'm not spending $500 to go sit in the sweltering heat of late September and be bitten by mosquitos, rained on and then steamed in the afternoon sun. What kind of stupid idea would that be? Retractable roof for what? 2 weeks per year?

a retractable stadium would be obscenely expensive....and pointless...sure its fun to watch an outdoor game in beautiful weather...but i used to hate going to tulane stadium as a kid....my dad had to make sure were hydrated it was so hot...the roof would necessarly be closed for both preseason games in august, and all games in sep and oct. that's 60% of the games. on the other 4 games it could rain or still be too hot or otherwise uncomfortable...seems like a big waste of money for maybe 1 or 2 nice games a year...a tailgating area would be nice, but it is certainly the best located stadium in america, and ties the quarter and cbd together ...

I love the Dome.....but I can see the need for a retractable roof stadium. The biggest thing that comes to my mind immediately is the ability to have a natural grass field surface. Sure, close it on gamedays if necessary for comfort, but have it open to the elements for photosynthetic reasons and cut down on injuries at the same time. There will be many more than two weekends out of the season we could play with it open.

Now, that said, I think we can wait awhile before then and see what future development and technologies bring.

hell yea this is awesome news and i agree with everybody that says keep the dome i have been there like all my life cause i hold saints season tickets and that place is the **** just like the new orleans saints.......all the way this year baby

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom