Stating the Obvious: NFL Has A Huge Match-Up Problem Now (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
Since I only don't really get into the media hysterics of superstars, I didn't realize how physically big Dez is. Just simple observation: in the red zone, it looks like he is a more athletic version of Jimmy Graham; generally he dwarfs the DBs and out in space his stride is gigantic. What strength and ability to catch almost anything. Quick screens. Crossing patterns. Just thinking as a general fan with basic football knowledge, we have created a major match-up problem for anyone. And with Brees' track record of making receivers better - if he was good with Romo, my gosh how much better will he be?

My favorite thing about MT is his ability to go over the middle and catch just about anything; as documented earlier Kamara on that weakside out is impossible to cover; Ingram's ability to beast on screens; throw in TQS; plug-in any tight end and our two-headed monster tandem in the backfield. What/how do you defend that?

And sure, he is emotional, but Dallas is/has been a rudderless ship void of leadership for quite some time. SP is an Alpha.

But what do I know?

I remember when Gregg William's was our DC, he would double cover Dez constantly.

Since I only don't really get into the media hysterics of superstars, I didn't realize how physically big Dez is. Just simple observation: in the red zone, it looks like he is a more athletic version of Jimmy Graham; generally he dwarfs the DBs and out in space his stride is gigantic. What strength and ability to catch almost anything. Quick screens. Crossing patterns. Just thinking as a general fan with basic football knowledge, we have created a major match-up problem for anyone. And with Brees' track record of making receivers better - if he was good with Romo, my gosh how much better will he be?

My favorite thing about MT is his ability to go over the middle and catch just about anything; as documented earlier Kamara on that weakside out is impossible to cover; Ingram's ability to beast on screens; throw in TQS; plug-in any tight end and our two-headed monster tandem in the backfield. What/how do you defend that?

And sure, he is emotional, but Dallas is/has been a rudderless ship void of leadership for quite some time. SP is an Alpha.

But what do I know?

Damn, he made a lot of catches behind the defender's back in that highlight reel, and many contested catches. I did notice that in much of the highlight, he doesn't have any separation. I hope that was just because it made the catches that much more impressive. He got very animated at about the 12 minute mark of the video. I wonder how that'll go down on the Saints' sideline?

We can now stop hearing how unstoppable Atlanta's offense is with their three wide receiver sets. Bryant = Jones, Thomas = Sanu, TQS = Ridley.

That's the best part. They cant double him, AK, and MT at the same time.
That’s exactly what I was getting at. They can’t. If they do, Drew will tear them to pieces.

Who are we kidding...a
Drew will tear them to pieces regardless.

In the combine the year Dez came out, I was amazed at his hands , he will be like another Michael Thomas with Drew throwing.

Damn, he made a lot of catches behind the defender's back in that highlight reel, and many contested catches. I did notice that in much of the highlight, he doesn't have any separation. I hope that was just because it made the catches that much more impressive. He got very animated at about the 12 minute mark of the video. I wonder how that'll go down on the Saints' sideline?
Man, those weren't 50/50 balls he was catching. He was catching 20/80 balls that were thrown right to the defender. I understand how Romo generated so many picks.

I'm getting excited about the potential he brings to this. We have the red zone threat of Graham without the Alligator arms.

This thread is full of giggity possibilities. I think Brees makes Dez dangerous again. He’ll put it where only he can get it, back shoulder passes, back of the end zone, quick goal-line passes, dudes huge. Brees will put the ball on the money, just hope they get on the same page quickly

Dak is the kind of QB who needs his WR's to all run precise routes and get open since Dak cannot throw a WR open like Drew does. When Romo retired, so did the 50/50 balls that Dez was great at catching. That pretty much ended with Romo retiring because Dak just failed for whatever reason to get Dez the ball in his comfort zones which are those 50/50s and back shoulders and Drew does both of those equally well.

Now, I don't think Dez is elite anymore. But I do think hes a 60-70 catch kind of WR that could most likely get you 8-10 TD's in a season along with 800 or so yards receiving. Dez will be very good for us. But this also assuming he hasn't lost a major step. I know hes lost *A* step, because most WR's do around the age of 30, but that doesn't mean he can't be extremely productive.

Dak is the kind of QB who needs his WR's to all run precise routes and get open since Dak cannot throw a WR open like Drew does. When Romo retired, so did the 50/50 balls that Dez was great at catching. That pretty much ended with Romo retiring because Dak just failed for whatever reason to get Dez the ball in his comfort zones which are those 50/50s and back shoulders and Drew does both of those equally well.

Now, I don't think Dez is elite anymore. But I do think hes a 60-70 catch kind of WR that could most likely get you 8-10 TD's in a season along with 800 or so yards receiving. Dez will be very good for us. But this also assuming he hasn't lost a major step. I know hes lost *A* step, because most WR's do around the age of 30, but that doesn't mean he can't be extremely productive.
He’s not as fast as his prime but he can still get separation and win those 50/50 balls. He got 800 yards and 6 TDS from Dak. That’s better than any number 2 receiver we have.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom