Stats Say We Are Just Good Enough To Win Games (1 Viewer)

dutar76

7th year itch
Reaction score
Stats aren't everything, unless you're playing fantasy football. There are all sorts of metrics available that we can use to gauge how our team is doing. In the end, a team's Win-Loss record is the only stat that matters. Stats are fun though, so I wanted to see how they correlate to our 5-1 record after 6 games.

Saints Offense / Saints Defense
21.3 to 20.3 ppg (scoring exactly one point per game more than our opponents)
344.7 to 340.5 ypg (averaging 4.2 total yards per game more than our opponents)
240.3 to 237.7 pass ypg (passing for 2.6 yards per game more than our opponents)
104.3 to 102. 8 rush ypg (rushing for 1.5 yards per game more than our opponents)
5 to 7 turnovers (+2 turnover differential)
43% to 37% 3rd down conversion % (We convert 3rd downs 6% more than our opponents)

I find it very uncanny how close these stats are, especially for a 5-1 team.

Here's a bonus stat. The records of all the teams that we've played so far (minus their games vs us)

Texans 4-1
Rams 2-3
Cowboys 3-2
Seahawks 5-0
Bucs 2-3
Jaguars 2-3

Combined 18-12

We have been playing most teams when they are hot and playing well. Our Defense has stepped up in a big way! We need to get Brees and AK at 100% and we'll be in good shape.

I love the toughness and grit of this team. We're not a team anyone wants to play right now.

What's impressive to me is that these games have been tight and we've still been winning.

This reminds me of New England's stat sheets when they won their first two super bowls. Everybody would say they aren't that good. they barely beat everyone on their schedule.

the only team we played when our team was intact with QB was the Texans and the Texans are actually a very good team. I am very impressed that we are just rolling the Ws through all these games which considering we are playing with a backup QB, you would have to consider most of the games pretty even matchups. I think we were the Vegas dogs in all but the Bucs game right?

In yards per game, our defense is ranked #10 in the league.
In yards per game, we've played against the #2, #5, #6, #13, #15, and #16 ranked offenses in the league.
Safe to say our defense is good. Better than that #10 ranking even.

In yards per game, our offense is ranked #21 in the league.
In yards per game, we've played against the #9, #12, #18, #20, #21, and #22 ranked defenses in the league.
It is weird seeing our offense ranked so low in this stat after years and years of being top 5, top 3, and often #1.
This shows that we are a conservative offense playing against the middle of the pack, without our starting QB.

Against the Jags, yes our defense played lights out and yes Kamara was hurt and yes we won, as we should have, but our offense was terrible the whole game and no one wants to admit it. If we had played that way against a good team we would have been killed. I’d really like to know what happened to the offense yesterday. Did we just play down to a weak opponent or what?

Against the Jags, yes our defense played lights out and yes Kamara was hurt and yes we won, as we should have, but our offense was terrible the whole game and no one wants to admit it. If we had played that way against a good team we would have been killed. I’d really like to know what happened to the offense yesterday. Did we just play down to a weak opponent or what?

Our offense definitely was not clicking yesterday. Early on it appeared that we planned on featuring Ted Ginn Jr. but Teddy just couldn't hit him. AK's ankle turned him back into a mortal. In the end, Cook stepped up "just" enough and that was the difference in the game.

All teams have games like this every season. Even great teams. I wouldn't put us in the "great' category yet. I think we'll return to that status once Drew returns. Right now we're just stacking wins by any means necessary.

I thought the Jags defense was underrated going into that game. They have talent all over that defense and it showed. Their d-line gave us trouble more than anything. Our o-line definitely didn't have their best day.

Kamara being hobbled was a big problem. Plus they were all over him after giving up tons of yards to CMC. That shouldn't be as big a problem as it was but we kept going to him and he kept getting tackled without any yards after the catch/contact. He should have never had twice the touches as any other player.

Finally was Bridgewater being off on some open throws. He's been fairly accurate lately. Nothing like Brees but catchable balls consistently. He was throwing a few uncatchable balls. Some of those may have been throwaways or lanes that closed. Which you would have to give credit to the Jags for.

TLDR - Jags are a good defense, Kamara was hobbled and overused, Bridgewater was off on some throws.

Next up are the Bears and their #6 ranked defense, who are only allowing
13.8 points per game.
229.2 passing ypg
83.0 rushing ypg

Their offense is ranked 30th gaining
17.4 points per game
266. passing ypg
80.6 rushing ypg

They are a 3-2 team who like us, are doing just enough to win on offense while leaning on their very stout defense and a +6 turnover differential.

I predict a very ugly and close game next Sunday.

Our offense definitely was not clicking yesterday. Early on it appeared that we planned on featuring Ted Ginn Jr. but Teddy just couldn't hit him. AK's ankle turned him back into a mortal. In the end, Cook stepped up "just" enough and that was the difference in the game.

All teams have games like this every season. Even great teams. I wouldn't put us in the "great' category yet. I think we'll return to that status once Drew returns. Right now we're just stacking wins by any means necessary.

Fair enough. That game just gave me a little PTSD as it reminded me too much of the years even with Brees when we would just came out flat and never really wake up. I was trying to blame the white pants. Then I watched RA

Fair enough.

I would have thought our numbers would have been much higher than that. Especially in Rushing per game. We haven't allowed a 100 yard rusher in almost 30 games. How are teams getting over a 100 yards on us?

I firmly believe that with Brees at the helm, we would have smoked the Rams and Jaguars. I think the Dallas game would have played out similar and we might have scored another TD on Tampa.
These early season wins are so important. At worst, we’ll be 5-3 at the BYE/halfway point of the season, getting Brees back under center after that BYE. At best, we’re freakin 7-1 with the NFL’s most prolific passer getting back on the field. Not to mention, a defense that’s playing well in our stadium and yours.

We’re in a good spot right now.

I firmly believe that with Brees at the helm, we would have smoked the Rams and Jaguars. I think the Dallas game would have played out similar and we might have scored another TD on Tampa.
These early season wins are so important. At worst, we’ll be 5-3 at the BYE/halfway point of the season, getting Brees back under center after that BYE. At best, we’re freakin 7-1 with the NFL’s most prolific passer getting back on the field. Not to mention, a defense that’s playing well in our stadium and yours.

We’re in a good spot right now.
We're 5-1 now. How do you come up with 5-3?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom