Stats Uncovering Major Saints Offensive Flaw that could Kill the Season (1 Viewer)

The team really needs to quit playing flat at the start of the games. It seems every time the Saints don't win the toss, they're down 7 by the time the offense gets on the field for the first time. The Saints really need to put together a full football game on all phases.

Dunno why everyone thinks running no huddle leads to TOP issues and a tired defense. You can run no huddle to prevent substitutions and still run down the play clock.

I wonder if Murray can lead block like a fullback...he definitely has the power.

You have one of the most intelligent QBs in the NFL. Send out a package that allows for a lot of flexibility (1 WR, 2RB, 2TE), line up in power running I formation with TEs in close. Let Brees look over the defense and adjust. Split out Cook and Kamara and all of a sudden you have a 3WR

So tired of reading this: the defense is bad because they are tired due to the offense not controlling the game. Seriously, the defense is tired because they can’t stop anybody and are are on the field for 10 plus play drives. Present a third down conversion and you are off the field. Pretty simple. Let a receiver get 5 yards behind you and you are not getting off the field.

Ok, and I'm presenting you with facts saying they forced a punt on 10 out of 14 drives.
How on earth can you say that they did a bad job?

1 of the chargers scoring drives started at the 1 thanks to a Int.

I would take the defense giving up 13-20 points a game each and every Sunday, that's all we've ever asked them to do, because our high flying offense SHOULD be able to at least put that many points on the board.

It would be interesting to see those same stats after only 5 weeks last year for a real comparison. On the defensive side anyway....The offense doesn't really compare as easily since Brees missed time.

As I recall the defense was lights out for the 5 or 6 weeks that Brees was out so I would imagine at week 5 last year we looked a lot better but got worse down the stretch instead of better.

I don't have the time right now to crunch all the other numbers, but the defense allowed 23.2 ppg in the first five games of 2019. So the defense actually improved as the season went on in points allowed.

In the five games Bridgewater started, the defense held opposing offenses to a suffocating 18.4 ppg. The Saints offense averaged 25 ppg with Bridgewater starting and 30.2 ppg with Brees starting.

Yep, our defense needs more help from the offense.

The best medicine for an overworked defense is a good running game.

The key to any type of offense is a good OL, and ours was shaken up in the offseason. Drew has not been comfortable in the pocket, and it takes a while. 3-4 sacks a game makes Drew an average QB, but I think I'm seeing him getting more comfortable.

Developing chemistry between the OL and QB is the hardest thing in football. Drew is about as good as it gets at developing an OL, but it still takes time. If any single OL is not capable, it weakens the entire unit and handicaps the QB.

Ok, and I'm presenting you with facts saying they forced a punt on 10 out of 14 drives.

I would take the defense giving up 13-20 points a game each and every Sunday, that's all we've ever asked them to do, because our high flying offense SHOULD be able to at least put that many points on the board.

Lmao! I think we would all take that. The problem is, it rarely happens

Lmao! I think we would all take that. The problem is, it rarely happens

If you take out the turnovers and stalled drives I think you would.

The only team I remember just straight up beating us up and down the field was the raiders.

Look at 2009's team for a good comparison.
We gave up almost 28 points per game and almost 300 yards a game.

The difference is, we scored at will. That and the defense had clutch takeaways. That has been up and down this season. We've had clutch takeaway's followed by a quick 3 & out.

I don't have the time right now to crunch all the other numbers, but the defense allowed 23.2 ppg in the first five games of 2019. So the defense actually improved as the season went on in points allowed.

In the five games Bridgewater started, the defense held opposing offenses to a suffocating 18.4 ppg. The Saints offense averaged 25 ppg with Bridgewater starting and 30.2 ppg with Brees starting.

That helps Thanks! The main thing I am seeing in these stats is a massive regression on defense.

The only team I remember just straight up beating us up and down the field was the raiders.

The difference is, we scored at will. That and the defense had clutch takeaways. That has been up and down this season. We've had clutch takeaway's followed by a quick 3 & out.

The 2009 defense allowed 21.3 ppg in the regular season and 19.6 ppg in the playoffs. Their yards per game was a very underwhelming 357.8 ypg, but their ppg was very respectable and they finished with the third best red zone defense in the league.

The 2009 defense allowed 21.3 ppg in the regular season and 19.6 ppg in the playoffs. Their yards per game was a very underwhelming 357.8 ypg, but their ppg was very respectable and they finished with the third best red zone defense in the league.

You're right, put one too many scores in there. 21.31 per game.

I just think if you start seeing better offensive production, the Defense will follow suit.

The problem is they are giving up 30+ points a game.

I guess you and I are are watching different games. The Chargers rookie QB through more TD passes in a Monday Night game in 50 years.

I guess you and I are are watching different games. The Chargers rookie QB through more TD passes in a Monday Night game in 50 years.
And also did it from the get go scoring 6 minutes into the 1st quarter on an almost 90 yard drive.

Defense. Defense. Defense.

Yep, our defense needs more help from the offense.

The best medicine for an overworked defense is a good running game.

The key to any type of offense is a good OL, and ours was shaken up in the offseason. Drew has not been comfortable in the pocket, and it takes a while. 3-4 sacks a game makes Drew an average QB, but I think I'm seeing him getting more comfortable.

Developing chemistry between the OL and QB is the hardest thing in football. Drew is about as good as it gets at developing an OL, but it still takes time. If any single OL is not capable, it weakens the entire unit and handicaps the QB.
"overworked"?

Or just poor?

Slow starts.

Sean Payton is different than any other coach I know of in the NFL. Every coach that has come along since Bill Walsh has an offensive attack script for the first 30 plays. Sean Payton's script is player packages. He wants to see what defensive packages go in for every player package he has prepared for the week. The next time around he looks for match-ups to exploit.

This season this has given us a rather pedestrian start. It puts a lot of pressure on execution when the match-ups come around and we haven't been all that clean.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom