Steelers/Saints replay at 6AM on NFLN (1 Viewer)

You'll need two things to watch it - lots of alcohol and Pepto Bismal.

Honestly I don't think I've ever seen a team get worse as the preseason went on. The Saints looked 10x better against the Pats than they did against the Steelers. They were at least competitive in the first preseason game.

You'll need two things to watch it - lots of alcohol and Pepto Bismal.

Honestly I don't think I've ever seen a team get worse as the preseason went on. The Saints looked 10x better against the Pats than they did against the Steelers. They were at least competitive in the first preseason game.

Yeah, I'm not really liking what I see but that why we have preseason. We have a lot that we can improve on, but the one thing that stands out that won't improve over the next few weeks is strength. It seems like Pitt is just far stronger than we are. That's alarming, and requires us to just wait and see.

Maybe Pitt is just strong on the lines and will blow out much of the league....who knows. But, my goodness we look weak. That's coaching, and strength training conditioning and discipline....coaching.

I'm in NC (since Katrina), game wasn't televised up here. It's recording now.

But from what I'm reading on here, and from Underhill, it sounds pretty disappointing.

So I'm opening up the bourbon, 8:00am local time. If that's not enough, I have frozen vodka to back it up.

Yeah, I'm not really liking what I see but that why we have preseason. We have a lot that we can improve on, but the one thing that stands out that won't improve over the next few weeks is strength. It seems like Pitt is just far stronger than we are. That's alarming, and requires us to just wait and see.

Maybe Pitt is just strong on the lines and will blow out much of the league....who knows. But, my goodness we look weak. That's coaching, and strength training conditioning and discipline....coaching.

The thing that worries me the most is I see nothing that can be fixed quickly -

The OL as the preseason wears on I'm increasingly convinced the promotion of Dan Roushar from TE Coach to OL Coach was a massive/colossal/monumental mistake. The OL at least got in the opposition's way last year. This year they don't even slow them down. How many times are the RBs getting hit in the backfield. Brees is under immediate pressure even on short drops. At some point it's scheme not talent (when the backups have the same exact issues as the starters it proves it's the scheme). The Saints didn't just pull 5 fat drunk guys out of a bar on Bourbon Street. All these were starters in college and all have NFL experience. Could they fire Roushar and start over before the season begins or will they hope and pray the players start to get Roushar's scheme and gel?

I see a very "soft" team - conditioning and attitude.

The pass rush......the Saints don't have one. Every QB looks like Joe Montana because they have all day to wait for guys to get open. Rankins can't get healthy soon enough.

The young secondary. They need experience but honestly with no pass rush it's going to be painful to watch. These guys are being asked to cover for far longer than they should have to.

The OL as the preseason wears on I'm increasingly convinced the promotion of Dan Roushar from TE Coach to OL Coach was a massive/colossal/monumental mistake. The OL at least got in the opposition's way last year. This year they don't even slow them down. How many times are the RBs getting hit in the backfield. Brees is under immediate pressure even on short drops. At some point it's scheme not talent. The Saints didn't just pull 5 fat guys out of a bar Bourbon Street. All these were starters in college and all have NFL experience. Could they fire Roushar and start over before the season begins or will they hope and pray the players start to get Roushar scheme and gel?

The pass rush......the Saints don't have one. Every QB looks like Joe Montana because they have all day to wait for guys to get open. Rankins can't get healthy soon enough.

The young secondary. They need experience but honestly with no pass rush it's going to be painful to watch. These guys are being asked to cover for far longer than they should have to.
What you are saying, without saying it, is that Sean Payton has molded the team into his team. He even hired his own understudy as DC, and has the say of who we bring in talent-wise. This season is a referendum on Sean Payton, and the annual complaints that he makes soft teams. That he never fields a good defense. That he is just an offensive coordinator, not true head coach.

He has to answer those questions, and we can't say one way or the other right now. At least 2-4 games in will let us know what we have.

I'm in NC (since Katrina), game wasn't televised up here. It's recording now.

But from what I'm reading on here, and from Underhill, it sounds pretty disappointing.

So I'm opening up the bourbon, 8:00am local time. If that's not enough, I have frozen vodka to back it up.

You'll need it. Spoiler alert - the Steelers could have easily hung 50+ on the Saints had they let Roethlisberger play the entire first half (he played two series in the third preseason game). I've never seen any starting QB get pulled after two series in the first quarter of the third preseason game. That's the game you play your starters for at least a half/three quarters to get them ready for the regular season. Tomlin embarrassingly "Mercy Ruled" the Saints and pulled Roethlisberger.

That's some tough love. I'll agree with most of your content, but the statement above I'll contend. We have Fairley & Jordan, both are very good. Our young NT is coming on nicely. And Onyemata is a redshirt basically. So I see hope for the line.

But we gambled on Kikaha, and lost. He's a great player, but that 3rd ACL could end his career. I wish he was in there, we need him. Tull isn't strong enough (which is fixable) or long enough (which isn't fixable). Gwachum has the measureables, but he can't convert speed to power. Right now, Edabali is pretty much our only hope to replace Kikaha.

But don't count out Fairley, Jordan, and Davison.

That's some tough love. I'll agree with most of your content, but the statement above I'll contend. We have Fairley & Jordan, both are very good. Our young NT is coming on nicely. And Onyemata is a redshirt basically. So I see hope for the line.

But we gambled on Kikaha, and lost. He's a great player, but that 3rd ACL could end his career. I wish he was in there, we need him. Tull isn't strong enough (which is fixable) or long enough (which isn't fixable). Gwachum has the measureables, but he can't convert speed to power. Right now, Edabali is pretty much our only hope to replace Kikaha.

But don't count out Fairley, Jordan, and Davison.

We'll know everything we need to know after the first few games of the regular season. When the complete DL is out there - Jordan, Davison, Fairley, Edebali. But last night wasn't promising everyone but Fairley played and every Steelers QB had all day to throw.

Shizzle I am usually 50/50 on you takes but this one I have to agree with.

The OL as the preseason wears on I'm increasingly convinced the promotion of Dan Roushar from TE Coach to OL Coach was a massive/colossal/monumental mistake. The OL at least got in the opposition's way last year. This year they don't even slow them down. How many times are the RBs getting hit in the backfield. Brees is under immediate pressure even on short drops. At some point it's scheme not talent (when the backups have the same exact issues as the starters it proves it's the scheme). The Saints didn't just pull 5 fat drunk guys out of a bar on Bourbon Street. All these were starters in college and all have NFL experience. Could they fire Roushar and start over before the season begins or will they hope and pray the players start to get Roushar's scheme and gel?

We have basically the same line as we did last year (sans Armstead until he's healthy) so there's some truth to that. But the team didn't address the personnel AT ALL during the offseason.

We all knew that we needed a left guard. And truthfully we need a RG as well because Peat should have taken over for Strief already. So we have 2 gaping holes at guard, which are the most important positions for our offense. We ignored them. And we're now paying for it.

We were going to pay a ton of money to Josh Norman, so I know we could have made cap space for a guard or 2 in free agency.

Oh well... I'm hoping this season doesn't turn out to be as painful as its looking now. In the past we could count on our offense to at least make games interesting with the garbage defenses we fielded, but if we don't figure out something quick its gonna be a terribly long season.

Shizzle I am usually 50/50 on you takes but this one I have to agree with.

Yeah, I don't shy away from criticizing Payton nor Brees, when they deserve it. Fandamonium brothers may not like it, but it is fair critique, often, and they know it...deep down. We like to excoriate the players, a lot, when often its the leadership. We knew what we had, last season...and it's why some of us have been screaming for a defensive coach to come in, and make the team stronger. You see, when you have a soft defense, you have no choice but have a soft/weak offense. That's who they practice against. Who was it...Earl Thomas iirc, said a few years back that their offense is stronger than most teams defense, bc who they have to practice against.

Look, we are going to have a good year, either way. That's because we have to except the path we chose. No need to really complain to anyone...just being honest. Everyone at my job looks at me and shakes their head...bc they know we rehired a coach that has put up back to back losing seasons and the worst defenses in the league. Real people, that aren't caught-up in the made-up Payton hype, look at me and call us fools.

So, we are where we are, and I am actually hoping that SP can find some magic. Find a way to prove that he deserved the rehire and earn the reputation that he still have with some people.

We'll know everything we need to know after the first few games of the regular season. When the complete DL is out there - Jordan, Davison, Fairley, Edebali. But last night wasn't promising everyone but Fairley played and every Steelers QB had all day to throw.

Fair enough. But note Fairley is a key piece. We'll see.

edit... just re-watched the first drive. Fairley played the first half of the drive, and the final play of the drive. He was doubled-teamed on every play, except for one. And in every one of those plays, they played the ball away from him.

Would seem Pitt showed the guy some respect.

You'll need it. Spoiler alert - the Steelers could have easily hung 50+ on the Saints had they let Roethlisberger play the entire first half (he played two series in the third preseason game). I've never seen any starting QB get pulled after two series in the first quarter of the third preseason game. That's the game you play your starters for at least a half/three quarters to get them ready for the regular season. Tomlin embarrassingly "Mercy Ruled" the Saints and pulled Roethlisberger.

I think he sat out the first 2 I maybe wrong on that but I thought that's what I heard

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom