Steltz in the 3rd or 4th? (1 Viewer)

hilby

Very Banned
Reaction score
I've only seen LSU about five times over the past two years and knew nothing about Steltz. He's always around the ball, never seems to make stupid plays, rarely misses a tackle, a definite team guy, seems competent in coverage and lays the wood. Is there a reason we wouldn't grab him in the 3rd or 4th if available? Is he slow, short or some hindrance that prevents him from being a higher pick?

Last edited:
i've watched him play this season and he seems a step slow in the college game, i don't think he would be able to handle nfl players.

He isn't short, I can tell you that. I'm 6' 2" and he's taller than me for sure. But he gets burned a lot in games (and that's college).

His draft stock will rest completely on his 40 time at the combine. I'm thinking 4.6.

The Saints need someone who can cover ground back there. We already have two SS back there.

He's slow. His best hope is to turn out to be only Sammy Knight slow and not "slow, slow".

He may be a hard hitter and a ballhawk, but he can't stay in coverage to save his life. I am willing to go out on a limb and attribute the majority of his success to the rest of the defense. The constant front 4 pressure and the blitz packages have made him appear better than I think he is. He MAY be able to survive in the pros, but I doubt he'll be a starting S (barring injuries to the REAL starters).

I always thought anticipation and a good sense of the field can make up for a slightly slower 40.

Watch the BCS replay and ask yourself if you want to see NFL running backs blow past Steltz on Sundays in the Superdome the same way Beanie Wells did in that game. I like the guy's character and hustle but he's very lucky to be playing behind one of the best front sevens in the NCAA. To his credit he made the most of his ability, but he's not NFL starter material.

Watch the BCS replay and ask yourself if you want to see NFL running backs blow past Steltz on Sundays in the Superdome the same way Beanie Wells did in that game. I like the guy's character and hustle but he's very lucky to be playing behind one of the best front sevens in the NCAA. To his credit he made the most of his ability, but he's not NFL starter material.
Yeah, we only got to see him for a little while but he didn't really impress me in that game. On that one long run by Wells, Steltz took a really bad angle. Beanie should have picked up 15 - 20 yards tops but Steltz let him get by and it was all over.

SR.com, get ready for the following threads:

Zenon in the late rounds?
Can we get Hester in the middle rounds?
Draft Chevis Jackson in round 2 or 3.
Will Arnold in the middle rounds?
How about Matt Flynn on day 2?
Draft Highsmith in round 2.
Sign X. Carter as an UDFA.

C. Steltz is a linebacker, too slow to play safety at the next level.

Steltz would do well as a LB IMO. He can tackle, he can hit, and he can play the ball. His main liability is in coverage against WRs, but I think he could run with most RBs and TEs.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom