Step Back From The Ledge.... (1 Viewer)

Saint Jack

Super Forum Fanatic
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Over the past few days, I've heard everything from 2016 is over to Brees' career is getting wasted. Neither is true. The league doesn't operate like college football. One loss does not destroy a season. It's only Week 2!
As for Brees, he has won a Super Bowl. There's a plethora of Hall of Famers without a ring.
I don't want to seem overtly optimistic, but relax. The season is just beginning.

Agreed. I'm just taking it one game at a time. Regardless of what the defense does, we will have a lot of excitement this season...like that Cooks TD!

Thank you.

This board is getting very dramatic lately. We lost one game by one point to a rising team and had a chance to win it with a rookie kicker that actually didn't miss a very long field goal by very much. The defense still sucks (shocker). We probably won't win a Super Bowl but the season is not over.

I'm guessing some of you weren't around for some of the really bad seasons. Enjoy having a chance, because when Drew leaves you may find out what it's like when you really don't have a chance to win anything.

Over the past few days, I've heard everything from 2016 is over to Brees' career is getting wasted. Neither is true. The league doesn't operate like college football. One loss does not destroy a season. It's only Week 2!
As for Brees, he has won a Super Bowl. There's a plethora of Hall of Famers without a ring.
I don't want to seem overtly optimistic, but relax. The season is just beginning.

Honestly, after 3 out of 4 seasons of 7-9.......I think maybe we just need to lower either our expectations, or the level of importance we put on Saints games, or both.

The reason 2006 was so special, and why losing the NFC title game not only wasn't a big deal to most people, but actually led to a "Thank You, Boys" newspaper heading..............is because there were minimal expectations. 3-0 became 8-4....which became a playoff win at home and a trip to the NFC title game...........it all felt like we were playing with house money, did it not?

I'm not saying that folks should lower their expectations to 2006-levels (3 to 5 win expectations).......but maybe they should consider dropping a trip to the playoffs from their expectations. That way if it does happen? Fantastic ! Then we can enjoy the ride. If it doesn't? Well, life goes on..

In some ways, I viewed 2013 as a disappointment as a result of my own expectations. Not because we lost to Seattle in the divisional round....since it was obvious they were the best team in the NFL that season. But because even though we did get our first road playoff win in team history......we blew a 5-0 start and a near sure-fire division title to become a 6th seed in the playoffs. And that was with having a top 5 offense AND defense ! How many times does THAT happen for the Saints?

But this time there is no undefeated quick front run. There's an 0-1 start, which we've only come back ONCE from to make the playoffs. Some have hinted that maybe we could be like that 1 team that did so....the 2011 Saints. As much as I'd love it, I'm not gonna count on it happening. Because I'm not gonna allow my expectations to get that high unless the team gives me serious reasons to do so.

I think people are just frustrated including myself. We win Sunday I will feel much better.

Honestly, after 3 out of 4 seasons of 7-9.......I think maybe we just need to lower either our expectations, or the level of importance we put on Saints games, or both.

Having been a fan since the Archie Manning days,, I know what you mean. This is a very valid point and one that I agree with however, far easier said than done. Ever since '09 as someone posted on another thread, once you've tasted filet mignon, you want nothing to do with spam ever again.

sure, one game does not make or break a season, but since 2006 if the team starts 2-2 or worse they don't make the playoffs. These first 4 games will tell which direction the team is headed

I wouldn't feel better and someone telling me to calm down isn't going to help. I'm a big proponent of Payton, love the team, but the defense is inexcusable. If you honestly think we'll win games and be fine with that defense, you're in for a tough season.

I would just sit back and enjoy watching Brees shatter every single, single season passing record in 2016. Expect to lose and be horrible on defense, and enjoy the season.

Sorry but no team in football has had a defense even remotely close to as bad as ours over the past 5 years. I could even argue no team in NFL history has had a 5 year stretch with defense as bad as ours has been.

We replace half the defense and the coordinator and the first game out give up 22 points in the 4th quarter at home. Good teams don't do that. It's not like it was a fluke play here or there either. We gave up big plays in the running and passing game. We got no pressure, no turnovers and the defense was so bad that other team went for two instead of tying it up. It's not like they had some specially schemed play drawn up, they through a freaking fade pass to a 6'1" WR.

We gave up 25 points in our final 4 drives. 6+ points per drive, at home. We had a 2 possession lead going into the 4th quarter, scored 10 more points and lost.

I'm not saying that folks should lower their expectations to 2006-levels (3 to 5 win expectations).......but maybe they should consider dropping a trip to the playoffs from their expectations.

This

Not everyone who doesn't think we're going to the playoffs is a pessimist. I'd be absolutely enthralled if we somehow made it to the playoffs. I'm just saying it's not likely. I still think Brees has a good 3-4 years in the tank, and in that timespan we could get deep in the playoffs again.

Who Dat!!

Good post OP. Nice to see some optimism for a change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll take a different approach...

tumblr_n03ay6uREF1rhhw7fo1_500.gif

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom