Step up Teddy! (1 Viewer)

From the Vikings game it seemed to me that Teddy is a statue after the dropback. One thing I love about Brees is that he’s almost constantly moving on his feet, even if he’s still with his body. Watching Teddy was in stark contrast with that. Maybe I’m used to watch Brees too much.

From the Vikings game it seemed to me that Teddy is a statue after the dropback. One thing I love about Brees is that he’s almost constantly moving on his feet, even if he’s still with his body. Watching Teddy was in stark contrast with that. Maybe I’m used to watch Brees too much.
When you watch the master at work, everyone else pales by comparison.

I was curious, so I have been watching some tape on Teddy and looking at some stats. The guy has a great arm. As stated in this thread, though, he has some problems in the pocket. Teddy's career sack percentage is 8.9, compared to Brees career sack percentage of 3.9.

I know, it's unfair to compare Teddy's first few seasons to one of the greatest careers of all time.. I do think it's fair, though, to compare their first few years in the league, with close to the same number of pass attempts, especially if we're thinking Teddy might potentially be the future.

Bridgewater's first 849 attempts in the league - Sacked 83 times. Threw for 6,150 yards, 28 TDs, 21 INT.
Brees' first 909 attempts in the league - Sacked 47 times. Threw for 5,613 yards, 29 TDs, 18 INT.

As you'll notice, Bridgewater's stats are pretty impressive and similar to Brees' younger days, with the exception of being sacked a good bit more.

I know, but what about their O-lines, which factor largely into sack rates? Well, take this with a grain of salt. I'm not a stat guru, nor an expert. These are just my findings.

Brees' o-line during this span was ranked 16 (dead average). Teddy's o-line was ranked 11.5. Above average. This data is from footballoutsiders.

So again, what I took from this, is yes, Teddy is a talented QB with a heck of an arm. He just has to get better at avoiding sacks.

Last edited:
I watched lasted weeks game and actually went to my first ever practice yesterday. My question is that everyone is praising Teddy Bridgewater for his command and throwing the ball. I agree with that ! What bothers me is how he never steps up in the pocket to give himself and his receivers more time to develop. He took four sacks! He is a better passer than Taysom Hill i agree but Taysom knows how to buy time. Does anyone else feel this way? #WHODAT

I'm highly interested in Teddy, because I think he could be "the guy". I micro focus on everything he does. In the Vikings game, he had a chance to step up in the pocket a couple of times, and didn't. He seems to keep his eyes downfield, much like Drew. Unlike Drew, he doesn't seem to "feel" the pocket and step up when the blocking is there. He's smart, I think he will get better.

I was curious, so I have been watching some tape on Teddy and looking at some stats. The guy has a great arm. As stated in this thread, though, he has some problems in the pocket. Teddy's career sack percentage is 8.9, compared to Brees career sack percentage of 3.9.

I know, it's unfair to compare Teddy to one of the greatest of all time, especially being so young. I do think it's fair, though, to compare their first few years in the league with close to the same number of pass attempts, especially if we're thinking Teddy might potentially be the future.

Bridgewater's first 849 attempts in the league - Sacked 83 times. Threw for 6,150 yards, 28 TDs, 21 INT.
Brees' first 909 attempts in the league - Sacked 47 times. Threw for 5,613 yards, 29 TDs, 18 INT.

As you'll notice, Bridgewater's stats are pretty impressive and similar to Brees' younger days, with the exception of being sacked a good bit more.

I know, but what about their O-lines, which factor largely into sack rates? Well, take this with a grain of salt. I'm not a stat guru, nor an expert. These are just my findings.

Brees' o-line during this span was ranked 16 (dead average). Teddy's o-line was ranked 11.5. Above average. This data is from footballoutsiders.

So again, what I took from this, is yes, Teddy is a talented QB with a heck of an arm. He just has to get better at avoiding sacks.
Great analisys. Also, I would point out that the numbers of Brees are from an era where passing wasn’t easy as much as today.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom