Step up Teddy! (1 Viewer)

strandedsaint

Pro-Bowler
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I watched lasted weeks game and actually went to my first ever practice yesterday. My question is that everyone is praising Teddy Bridgewater for his command and throwing the ball. I agree with that ! What bothers me is how he never steps up in the pocket to give himself and his receivers more time to develop. He took four sacks! He is a better passer than Taysom Hill i agree but Taysom knows how to buy time. Does anyone else feel this way? #WHODAT

One of the things about Drew Brees that makes him so successful in the pocket is knowing how to move around to make the blocking work for him. It's like a 'sixth sense' for him. Taysom will generally rely on his legs early in the event of a breakdown and he can survive in that role mainly because he is nearly as big and strong as the guys who are coming after him. But perhaps having a bit better pocket awareness for Teddy would give him the little extra that's needed to complete drives and stay healthy. It sure wouldn't hurt.

Bridgewater looked pretty poised overall, but I would agree that he's got to learn to either throw the ball away when nothing's there or escape the pressure and find a guy. He held on a tad bit too long on a couple of plays. I thought for the most part, the protection was decent. There may be times when it's not nearly that good, so that's definitely something he should look to improve on. Overall, though, he looked good. If anything, I would say that's what makes Taysom so exciting to watch. He doesn't take a sack. If only Taysom was more accurate, I think he'd be a heck of a QB.

It's one of his flaws I've noticed. Like a lot of younger QBs (he's not young but he's young in play time), he tends to back up too much under pressure. He needs to fix that to become a solid starter.

I don't agree that Taysom knows how to buy time though. He knows how to run, but he doesn't move in the pocket well at all.

I don't agree that Taysom knows how to buy time though. He knows how to run, but he doesn't move in the pocket well at all.
Right. Hill trusts his feet a lot quicker than his blockers.

He needs to learn how to move around in the pocket, like he is in a phone booth (so to speak). Like most QBs should. Drew is a master at that. That’s why he has been so successful buying time for his receivers to get open when pressure comes.

One thing's for sure.. It should be glaringly obvious to him (& coaches of course) when he watches tape that he is going to need to work on that. Can't wait to see if that improves a bit this week. Other than holding on too long to the rock he was pretty solid. :unsure:

I watched lasted weeks game and actually went to my first ever practice yesterday. My question is that everyone is praising Teddy Bridgewater for his command and throwing the ball. I agree with that ! What bothers me is how he never steps up in the pocket to give himself and his receivers more time to develop. He took four sacks! He is a better passer than Taysom Hill i agree but Taysom knows how to buy time. Does anyone else feel this way? #WHODAT

I liked Teddy's performance overall. I did expect more mobility and pocket awareness though. I'm not going to judge off that one game. It may have just worked out that way. He moved around good last year in that Carolina game.

Alot of Teddys game is pre snap. Good football IQ with intangibles. His footwork ia dang near textbook. He can quickly get to a launch point in his drop backs with his back leg planting. Get the ball out quickly in the short to intermediate passing windows. It looks like he is throwing off his back foot. But he is not. He relies on his excellent footwork to get the ball out then pocket movement. His game in this scheme should translate to a high completion %. Pocket awareness and movement is something he can improve on. Im sure with his age and work ethic he will. From a scheme fit and also being in a dome we are as good as its gonna get for Teddy from a fit stand point. Teddy is a safe bet to be a solid starter in our current install. Hill with some scheme tweaks has potential to be special. He is a special athlete with passing talent. His ball placement is spotty. At the same time he flashing some dimes. You can see he is soaking in what ever drew spitting. He copies drew footwork and he is visibaly getting better as a pocket passer..Like any player that needs to improve he needs reps.

I don't see Bridgewater as our starter if he has to deliver 25+ points per game and with the money going to Thomas and others on the offense down the line, this defense won't be great anytime soon. My guess is we give him a year at it with a big dose of T. Hill and then move on if he comes in at 8-8 or worse.

I don't see Bridgewater as our starter if he has to deliver 25+ points per game and with the money going to Thomas and others on the offense down the line, this defense won't be great anytime soon. My guess is we give him a year at it with a big dose of T. Hill and then move on if he comes in at 8-8 or worse.

Just a thought. If it wasn't for two drops he would have had 18 points in a half. That said, I don't think he is an elite QB that can take over games without a good team around him. Even Brees couldn't go 8-8 with a horrible defense. Whoever comes after Brees is going to need a good team around him regardless. Whether Bridgewater, Hill, FAs or the draft; chances are we won't see another HoF QB that takes over games in our lifetime.

TBH2O was strong. He show cased his command of the offense. I believe 2 sacks were actually holding calls on defense. Reps makes the release faster. I liked what i saw A LOT. My vikings buddy was very jealous.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom