Steph Anthony (1 Viewer)

Where was the drop off? The results say differently.

Drop off in coverage. Robertson very rarely makes a mistake in zone coverage. He may not be able to make the plays consistently but when he's supposed to pick up the TE up the seam he picks him up. When he's supposed to release the guy and key in on a shorter route to stop it, he generally does. I could be giving Robertson too much credit but that guy gets in on a lot of tackles.

For the record Stats said Anthony was a beast last year...so I wouldn't use that as your base too often for performance.

edit: you said Results not stats

Lets be honest. I don't have all 22 film. I haven't gone back and rewatched the game to key in on Anthony. I tried to bring an even keeled approach based on what I remembered to kind of grade him. As of now I'm offering up on a plate that he improved. Even if it was just one area aka Alignment assignment. Were all here hoping that he's not a bust. Not a single person doesn't want him to succeed and be THAT guy.

Drop off in coverage. Robertson very rarely makes a mistake in zone coverage. He may not be able to make the plays consistently but when he's supposed to pick up the TE up the seam he picks him up. When he's supposed to release the guy and key in on a shorter route to stop it, he generally does. I could be giving Robertson too much credit but that guy gets in on a lot of tackles.

For the record Stats said Anthony was a beast last year...so I wouldn't use that as your base too often for performance.

edit: you said Results not stats

Lets be honest. I don't have all 22 film. I haven't gone back and rewatched the game to key in on Anthony. I tried to bring an even keeled approach based on what I remembered to kind of grade him. As of now I'm offering up on a plate that he improved. Even if it was just one area aka Alignment assignment. Were all here hoping that he's not a bust. Not a single person doesn't want him to succeed and be THAT guy.

I thought he played well all things considered. You could see he made mistakes, but overall, he quarterbacked a performance that should win you plenty of games in the NFL. He's playing with a better D line in front of him than last year, which should help him, as well as gaining another year of being a pro football player. I'm not ready to crown him, but to call him a bust after last night's game is silly.

Play him the rest of the season. See if he progresses. Part ways if not.

Play him the rest of the season. See if he progresses. Part ways if not.

I'd give him longer than a five game sample. I'd say move him back to MLB permanently and give him a full offseason and training camp there, having him backing up Robertson. If he still doesn't get it after year 3, then cut bait and move on.

Yeah, I'll be honest. Thanks to my new job, I couldn't watch the game and it didn't record properly. So I'll just keep an eye on him for the next game and beyond.

Still think he's got learning to do as a MLB. But maybe he actually was better than he's been before? I don't know. Maybe he made smarter calls pre-snap that contributed to our defenses success?

No defense has players at every spot that can do it all. Anthony offers you a fast thumper that CAN make sideline to sideline plays and knife through into the backfield. He also takes bad angles on occassion and has poor awareness and understanding NFL coverage nuances. These guys don't make a defense great but the can play important roles on a great defense. We need an elite talent at the RDE spot and add a corner and then we can reevaluate next year.

Last year I thought the negatives on Anthony could be chalked up to inexperience and having too much on his plate. Such as having to get a bunch of fellow rookies lined up before a play, then having to switch gears and try to make plays. To me, he just always looked like he was a step slow.

This year, I've been floored by how little he's played. Good job explaining Elias.

Hopefully his switch will flip before his rookie contract runs out.

I know there are always woulda coulda shoulda's but this made me sad:

Benardrick was awarded Second Team All Pro 2016 after finishing the regular season as the only inside linebacker with at least 100 tackles and 5 sacks. He finished the season with 129 total tackles.

I know there are always woulda coulda shoulda's but this made me sad:

Benardrick was awarded Second Team All Pro 2016 after finishing the regular season as the only inside linebacker with at least 100 tackles and 5 sacks. He finished the season with 129 total tackles.

Texans develop a lot of defensive talent though. Look at Clowney who has shed the bust label this year. Also Bouye an UFA CB has developed for them. Now Benardrick has exploded. Who knows what he wouldve looked like over here. Texans very good at developing their young defenders us not so much

Texans develop a lot of defensive talent though. Look at Clowney who has shed the bust label this year. Also Bouye an UFA CB has developed for them. Now Benardrick has exploded. Who knows what he wouldve looked like over here. Texans very good at developing their young defenders us not so much
That also shows that patience pays off when a talented player doesn't "get it" right away. Hopefully the third year is a charm with Anthony...

That also shows that patience pays off when a talented player doesn't "get it" right away. Hopefully the third year is a charm with Anthony...

Agreed. Whomever we hire for LB Coach is hopefully good at Developing and Recognizing talent

Hopefully the new LB coach that comes in can develop Anthony's talents and turn him into a real good MLB and leave him at that position.

I think it Allen's call as to what position Anthony plays as well as when/if he plays at all.

He's the most athletic/explosive LB on the team and he couldn't even get on STs this past season.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom