Stephen A on the Newton and Winston contracts (1 Viewer)

Daniel contract is a bit of an odd one but that is what Det figured a long term insurance policy was to them. To them is what’s key because it’s a free market. There are also certainly lessor QBs making bigger money but those are trial QBs. Some of those won’t even get another contract. These guys are both very talented with very big question marks. That is why they are one year deals. Sherman is smarter than that. Stephen A just wants us to keep talking about him which is why I’m not addressing his part in this.

This would be something to talk about if Cam didn't have multiple shoulder surgeries the past few years. I mean come on, nobody knows where he's at health wise. Nobody knows if he's going to be healthy enough to even make the team. So what are we saying, that he should've been given a huge deal because he was awesome one year back in 2015? If that's the case then Doug Martin deserves a massive deal because he was 2nd in the league in rushing that year.

I sat in a hotel room last year and watched a panthers v bucs game. It was one of the worst games i've ever seen. 3 and out after 3 and out. Footballs flying 10 yards over receiver's head. In the dirt. No where close to a receiver. Both of them were awful.

Poor Cam. He'll only be able to add a little over $1M to his $120+M in career earnings, not counting endorsements. Maybe he was smart and applied for unemployment after he was cut.

What a waste of air time that show is. Can't understand how anyone watches it.

its easy to make these type of claims as a tv/radio person , though a GM , who puts more study into these decisions, has much more to loose - they are always known as the guy who "made that deal/trade"

The only one of the three who makes any sense at all is Dan Orlovsky because it's not a given that Newton is or will remain healthy. He's had foot surgery and two shoulder surgeries in the last 3 years and that doesn't bode well for his style of play.

At 31 years old Newton has relied heavily on his running ability but it comes at a cost.

If he has to rely on his arm to get by then he is in trouble............................................they don't call him "airmail" for nothing.

Stephen A is nothing but a blowhard.

Nobody forced Newton and Winston to sign those contracts.

I didn't listen because I can't stand Stephen A. Winston took the contract for the future. He knows what learning from Payton and Brees could do for his future. Learn for a year and then the money will come. It could possibly come from New Orleans. If the eye surgery has improved his vision and helps his decision making, he could be a perfect replacement for Brees in 2021. To take a step back and sign a contract like he signed, it shows that he could be maturing. If he works hard, he could have a bright future. As far as Newton, he has been injured and no one could bring him in for an evaluation. He doesn't know if Newton turned down other better offers just to sign with the Pats. This is an unique year. If they both stay focused and work hard, they will be making 20+ million in 2021.

Can’t disagree regarding Winston. Yes he has had his struggles on and off the field but he has huge upside. The fact that he was willing to humble himself and learn under a great environment makes me want to see him flourish.

Don’t have any facts or figures to back it up but there are probably several back ups making considerably more besides Daniel so yes I think the Saints should have paid him more.

I understand Cam getting what he did. He's a known quantity and he very much seems to be on the downside of his career. There's not a lot of value with him. Maybe you get a year or two of decent production, but he's probably going to get injured. And you can't run the same offense with Jarrett Stidham or Brian Hoyer than you had for Newton, so you've got all sorts of scheme issues.

I don't understand the Winston thing. Unless he turned down much better offers to come to the Sean Payton Rehab Facility (for quarterbacking, not Vicodin), I think his market value is much higher than what he got. Maybe he did get better offers. Who knows. But I do know that there are a lot worse QBs who get paid a lot more than what Winston does.

But Winston has a ton of upside and there's usually a premium on that. Consider that Baker Mayfield actually throws interceptions at a higher rate than Winston does (whether you compare first two years or career vs. career). Now consider that Baker is more of a chemistry disruption than Winston has ever been.

Now put Winston and Mayfield into free agency and tell me how they end up? I'm not jumping to racism, maybe there's some things we don't know, and maybe I'm just overvaluing Winston. But it seems off to me.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom