Stephen A. Smith Interviewed By Mark Levin (1 Viewer)

dapperdan

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score
Interesting interview with Stephen A. Smith...Smith makes the exact same point that Milton Friedman made 30 years ago on Free To Choose regarding government programs to "help" minorities.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/834u4NcyHuU&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/834u4NcyHuU&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

See Hard

Spelling Police
Reaction score
He's a basketball writer... why should I care what he has to say about the government?

OP

dapperdan

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score
He's a basketball writer... why should I care what he has to say about the government?
I don't know.

Not a big deal.

I just thought it was an interesting interview. The part that caught my ear was when he was talking about government programs relating to minorities, because if you ever watched the PBS series Free To Choose from 1979-1980, I swear Milton Friedman used the exact same logic applied to government programs for minorities, virtually word for word.

http://miltonfriedman.blogspot.com/

Last edited:

Saint77

Burrrrrrrsitis!
Reaction score
I don't know.

Not a big deal.

I just thought it was an interesting interview. The part that caught my ear was when he was talking about government programs relating to minorities, because if you ever watched the PBS series Free To Choose from 1979-1980, I swear Milton Friedman used the exact same logic applied to government programs for minorities, virtually word for word.

http://miltonfriedman.blogspot.com/

I never really cared for Smith much, his over animated delivery and brash 'tude always rubbed em wrong, but he really did say a few good things in that interview, I was impressed.

See Hard

Spelling Police
Reaction score
Thats a little dismissive, dont ya think?

absolutely, and rightfully so. No offense to the OP at all. but I'm not wasting 10 minutes of my life to hear what Stephen A. Smith has to say about anything. even it was the hornets.

Saint by the Bay

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I was going to listen to it but Levin's voice is like fingernails on chalk.

Oye

carry all the groceries in in one trip
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I was going to listen to it but Levin's voice is like fingernails on chalk.

I listened.

There wasn't really much to comment on. Levin says that he's found a superstar in Smith. Asks him if would run for President.

Smith makes a few valid points I'd agree with regarding the spending involved in the recent stimulus packages, bailouts/buyouts, etc.

But then he starts to lose me when he begins speaking on behalf of an entire race - I just don't put much stock in statements that begin with "No black person in America would...." or include "every black person in America" etc... His perspective is his and perhaps of those he knows. I'm not saying it's not a valid perspective, just that he should be more measured and careful in how generalized he makes his comments.

Then they talk about Michael Vick for the last minute or so.

Personally, I would look neither to Smith nor Friedman for declarative, accurate statements on the state of race relations or how best to help minority or impoverished communities.

You didn't miss much, in my mind.

BIG E

SR is my life!
Reaction score
He actually sounds more intelligent talking about politics than he does when he talks about sports. I think he is an idiot when it comes to sports.

Squeezebox

Very Banned
Reaction score
The only thing special about the interview was that he's black and apparenty reinforcing many of the erroneous ideas whites have about "programs" and "the black community." Suburban whites love to pretend that they are experts on the black condition, and love when black people back them up so that their views seem less tinted with ingrained racism and ignorance.

Smith said nothing groundbreaking or intelligent; it's the same stuff being floated around talk radio. The difference is that a black man is saying it. Good for him.

OP

dapperdan

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score
Personally, I would look neither to Smith nor Friedman for declarative, accurate statements on the state of race relations or how best to help minority or impoverished communities.

Pertaining to Friedman's ideas, I must ask, why?

Friedman's basic proposition was that individuals can make better decisions for themselves than the government can make for them...Do you not agree with this position? Or does it not apply to minorities?

Danchrism

Reaction score
I guess it's impossible for him to have knowledge about anything else, then...

Paul Robeson's spinning grave could power Terrebonne Parish right about now

Saintshizzle

G.O.M.A.B
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Same stuff

SAS gets respect, no need to disregard him because his mastery is in another medium. But, it's the same words and that is what people are rejecting. There was a time that Blacks would give more thought to an issue if someone that "looks like them" said it.

The 50s-60s-70s are gone though. You have to reach people by having a philosophy that they agree with.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

New Orleans Saints Twitter Feed

Headlines

Top Bottom