Stephen King Fans - The Books (1 Viewer)

Besides Robert A Heinlein, King is my favorite author.
1. Duma Key
2. The Wind Through The Keyhole
3. Doctor Sleep
4. The Tailsman
5. The Stand

Hornable mention...The Long Walk and The Running Man written under Richard Bachman pseudo name.

Pet Sematary was the one I have liked the most. I made up my mind to read his Dark Tower series this year and finished about a month ago. The Drawing of the Three was my favorite in the series. The Song of Susannah was the toughest to get through. Overall, a good series but I was not “wowed” by it. I did like Salem’s Lot.

The endings for It and the Stand were disappointing for me.

I want to read The Green Mile and Shawshank.

Pet Sematary was the one I have liked the most. I made up my mind to read his Dark Tower series this year and finished about a month ago. The Drawing of the Three was my favorite in the series. The Song of Susannah was the toughest to get through. Overall, a good series but I was not “wowed” by it. I did like Salem’s Lot.

The endings for It and the Stand were disappointing for me.

I want to read The Green Mile and Shawshank.

You know Green Mile if you have seen the movie. I honestly think he wrote it with intent at the movie all along. Not a screenplay, but written to be easily converted. Rita Heyworth and the Shawshank Redemption is in Different Seasons. 4 books the produced 3 movies. The Body (Stand By Me), Rita Heyworth, and Apt Pupil all became good movies. And the part that Keifer Sutherland played in Stand By Me is a recurring character who was also in some of the Castle Rock Books. If you want to read Rita Heyworth I would suggest reading the 4 together. They are loosely connected (at least two of them anyway) have what I guess you would call connected elements.

Ive heard some people are obsessed with that movie. Possible fodder for the Stalker forum even.

I considered stalking King myself. I wanted to break his legs, lock him in a room and write endings the way I wanted.

Nah, Wizard and Glass (IV) is the best Dark Tower book by a long shot and one of King's best period (I personally believe it to be his best book but recognize few are going to share that opinion). Things don't really get sideways till Wolves of the Calla. But even then I'm not as harsh on the Dark Tower overall as some seem to be.

Is Wolves the book that makes a Harry Potter pun/reference? I literally closed the book and stopped reading the series on that sentence.

1. The Stand - BOTH VERSIONS
2. The Green Mile & Shawshank Redemption
3. The Drawing of the Three - easily the best novel of the entire series but man did he Game of Thrones that series. SMH.
4. The Night Shift & Skeleton Crew, amazing ( the Mist which was a great short story but not a great movie).
5. It
6. Pet Semetary

Honorable mentions to Firestarter, Christine, and Misery. Actually, quite a lot of his stuff can make this list.

And I can't remember the name of it, but he wrote a story where this boy had the ability to kill people by drawing symbols and if the victim saw the symbols, they died. Anyone or anything else that saw the symbols would get sick or a headache but not die. It was freaking brilliant. Dude was a complete mastermind before getting sober. It might have been with the 10 O'clock people.

Last edited:
I haven’t read a whole lot of King’s books

But of the ones I’ve read my favorite is Green Mile, I’ve listened to the audiobook for it a dozen times at least

I also really liked under the dome (except for the end)

I’m just now starting to get into “classic” King

I’m about to start It, I’ve never read it before but I loved the movie

I also loved apt pupil and Shawshank

I did not like desperation or the girl who loved Tom Gordon
Desperation was't bad IMHO, and I enjoyed Apt Pupil, but that gotdayumed The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon was a literary abortion. It ...was.....terrible. I couldn't believe it was published.

who was Stephen king before king?

who was the popular horror writer before the 80s?

I've never read the story but I loved the movie - the story is better?
The story was WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY better, IMHO. The movie was close in a lot of areas but then missed in others. If you liked the movie, I think you'll like the story as the details are much richer in the short story.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom