Stephen King Fans - The Books (1 Viewer)

1. It
2. Pet Sematary
3. Salem's Lot
4. The Shining
5. The Stand
6. The Talisman
7. 11/22/63
8. Insomnia
9. Duma Key
10. Needful Things

Worst Book:

From a Buick 8 have tried to read it twice and cant make it through. Gerald's game is a close second

I have read every Stephen King Novel except this one.
from a buick 8 has been in production for years.

Robert McCammon's The Wolf's Hour was AMAZING!! So, I'll have to check out Swan Song.

I've never read the stand so I can't compare but swan song is incredible

I've always wondered my mccammon's books weren't made into movies like king's were

I also just finished hunter in the woods - collection of short stories with main character from wolfs hour

My top five favorites that I have read multiple times are...
  1. Wizard and Glass
  2. It
  3. The Stand
  4. Misery
  5. The Waste Lands
I enjoyed them all. Shawshank Redemption, Green Mile, The Long Walk, 'Salem's Lot, The Shining, Hearts in Atlantis, etc are all great and The Dark Tower series was more enjoyable I think having read them all and seeing the characters return.

who was Stephen king before king?

who was the popular horror writer before the 80s?

there were no super stars before King imo. Not in this genre. Edger Allen Poe should have been but he was discovered (More or less) after he drank himself to death. And his books reach literary circles but not The fan base King has amassed. Heck King has even written the book on horror writing. 2 of them in fact but Dance Macabre was written very early on and I read that one.

I enjoyed Dr Sleep last year so I decided to give The Outsider a quarantine run. I just got to 33% according to my kindle and it just now got interesting. But extremely so. I wonder if King did that on purpose. For a while I was afraid he was just writing The Dark Half again.

so anyway, I’m on record saying Kings best writing ended some time around Tommyknockers. Now I’m wondering if he hasn’t rediscovered or reinvented himself though.

there were no super stars before King imo. Not in this genre. Edger Allen Poe should have been but he was discovered (More or less) after he drank himself to death. And his books reach literary circles but not The fan base King has amassed. Heck King has even written the book on horror writing. 2 of them in fact but Dance Macabre was written very early on and I read that one.

I enjoyed Dr Sleep last year so I decided to give The Outsider a quarantine run. I just got to 33% according to my kindle and it just now got interesting. But extremely so. I wonder if King did that on purpose. For a while I was afraid he was just writing The Dark Half again.

so anyway, I’m on record saying Kings best writing ended some time around Tommyknockers. Now I’m wondering if he hasn’t rediscovered or reinvented himself though.

On Writing is the other non-fiction book and is part autobiography. A good read.

King doesn't remember writing huge chunks of The Tommyknockers because of the coke and alcohol.

Clive Barker came after King, but for a while he was writing great horror.

The Damnation Game, The Books of Blood, The Hellbound Heart, Cabal , Weaveworld, etc.

The Damnation Game was the last book to really creep me out.

I'd say Lovecraft was King before King. A lot of themes King uses (insanity, cosmic existential horror) were pioneered as horror tropes by Lovecraft. King is way more of an optimist than Lovecraft, though.

Richard Matheson would also probably be a good choice and King himself cites him as his biggest influence.

On Writing is the other non-fiction book and is part autobiography. A good read.

King doesn't remember writing huge chunks of The Tommyknockers because of the coke and alcohol.

Clive Barker came after King, but for a while he was writing great horror.

The Damnation Game, The Books of Blood, The Hellbound Heart, Cabal , Weaveworld, etc.

The Damnation Game was the last book to really creep me out.

Dont forget Immajica and the Book of the Art trilogy....great books

I'd say Lovecraft was King before King. A lot of themes King uses (insanity, cosmic existential horror) were pioneered as horror tropes by Lovecraft. King is way more of an optimist than Lovecraft, though.

Richard Matheson would also probably be a good choice and King himself cites him as his biggest influence.

Shirley Jackson deserves a mention.

The Haunting of Hill House and The Lottery are classics.

My King list:

The Stand--incredible
All Dark Tower books--generally agree that it starts incredibly strong then drops in quality, then again what series of that length hasn't?
The Long Walk--criminally underrated, the ending left me a tad cold--would love to see a movie or NetFlix/HBO series, but just worried they would get it right

Of course, have seen countless movies ranging from the awesome to the awful

My King list:

The Stand--incredible
All Dark Tower books--generally agree that it starts incredibly strong then drops in quality, then again what series of that length hasn't?
The Long Walk--criminally underrated, the ending left me a tad cold--would love to see a movie or NetFlix/HBO series, but just worried they would get it right

Of course, have seen countless movies ranging from the awesome to the awful

Nice to see one of the Bachman Books mentioned
The Long Walk is definitely less mature overall, but the dialogue between the people walking is great.
The book version of The Running Man is also good...far better than the movie
He has some great short stories that arent horror....a good Sherlock Holmes short story, Last Rung on the Ladder, The Woman in the Room
Really bucks the stereotype that he only writes horror

all my stephen king books have the last chapter removed and a note saying " no need to go on, the ending is exactly the same as every one of my other books---- a twisted, incomprehensible batch of literary excrement that will make you wish you never got caught up in my excellent writing until now"

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom