Stephone Anthony (1 Viewer)

Well, for starters, he's been hurt the past two weeks. He was also hurt during a lot of the offseason practices.

He's not ready to start at MLB yet. You could see that last year. What exactly is so terrible about just shutting up and giving the guy time to develop? He's under contract for at least 2 more years.

Pipe down! It's much more fun to scream "wasted draft pick!" from the top of our lungs.

Pipe down! It's much more fun to scream "wasted draft pick!" from the top of our lungs.

People get up in arms over that term. I don't think people mean wasted. Its just that the value of the pick wasn't properly utilized.

If Anthony were to ultimately be a SAM well we know in this defense that's a sub package player. You don't spend 1st rounders on sub package (15 snaps a game) players. Just one of those things where if you don't say something properly people get upset about it. I'm not here to mince words it is what it is...that would just be the case.

With that being said I don't think anyone is hoping he'll be a "wasted" pick....and its likely the Coaching staff realizes that he's integral to the Defense which is why they are trying to build/coach him up.

When are we going to stop blaming the DC? After the tenth DC perhaps? Or maybe, just maybe the common denominators, Payton and Loomis, can be finally held accountable.

I'm completely fine with moving on. They have been given opportunity after opportunity to fix the problem. They can't. This team can't compete with Brees in his prime. Could you imagine just how bad this franchise will be once Brees retires in a few short years? Embarrassing bad.

When are we going to stop blaming the DC? After the tenth DC perhaps? Or maybe, just maybe the common denominators, Payton and Loomis, can be finally held accountable.

I'm completely fine with moving on. They have been given opportunity after opportunity to fix the problem. They can't. This team can compete with Brees in his prime. Could you imagine just how bad this franchise will be once Brees retires in a few short years? Embarrassing bad.

Patience Man. Ireland wasn't ultra prepared for the 2015 draft. Admittedly saying he was rusty on the prospects because he was at home sitting on his couch. Last year we were hoping the 2015 class was equiv to the 2006 class. Just think we were a year early.

This FA/Draft haul this year when you look at everyone that was brought in was as good as an off-season as we've had. Fairley, Rankins, Thomas, Bell, Onyemata, Lasco, Stupar, Robertson, and yes even Fleener is starting to pull his weight.

We found some pieces...with this staff and had it not been for some significant injuries/cuts/ gaffes in last years off-season we'd be more competitive. But if there was ever a sign of a pulse.....it's this off-season.

Next Year Peat will have settled in at G. We'll know exactly what Anthony is. Should be getting PJ Williams back who showed some life as a prospect.

Not all gloom and doom bro! Payton finally has a D-coordinator he has a relationship with enough to construct his own D. He's got Pete calling offensive plays and we haven't seen a single cut-shot of him telling DA what to do. This ship is getting corrected

People get up in arms over that term. I don't think people mean wasted. Its just that the value of the pick wasn't properly utilized.

If Anthony were to ultimately be a SAM well we know in this defense that's a sub package player. You don't spend 1st rounders on sub package (15 snaps a game) players. Just one of those things where if you don't say something properly people get upset about it. I'm not here to mince words it is what it is...that would just be the case.

With that being said I don't think anyone is hoping he'll be a "wasted" pick....and its likely the Coaching staff realizes that he's integral to the Defense which is why they are trying to build/coach him up.

Can you explain what it is about Anthony that makes him not suited for the nickel package? He has more sideline to sideline speed than any of our linebackers, correct? His physical ability is not limited to that of a sub package player. The reason Anthony doesn't get snaps in nickel, is the same reason he doesn't get many snaps in base defense. It's because he isn't doing a good job of being in the right position to make plays. Instead we have Stupar taking Anthony's snaps at OLB as well as in the nickel package.

Can you explain what it is about Anthony that makes him not suited for the nickel package? He has more sideline to sideline speed than any of our linebackers, correct? His physical ability is not limited to that of a sub package player. The reason Anthony doesn't get snaps in nickel, is the same reason he doesn't get many snaps in base defense. It's because he isn't doing a good job of being in the right position to make plays. Instead we have Stupar taking Anthony's snaps at OLB as well as in the nickel package.

Stupar has been taking snaps at WLB in the base but Yes he's he's been the Mike in Nickel. It's not athletic..it's just football IQ for Anthony. Once he's not thinking so much his athleticism will take him to the ball but DA has said it and SP has said it. On game days they are trying to take the thinking off his plate and allow him to be in attack mode.

Behind the scenes I'm sure he's playing Mike on the scout or 2nd team and Sam was just a way to get him on the field for what has essentially been a learning year for him.

There is no doubt he's likely a little discouraged but I'm sure he'll get it together. No rush for now. He'll Lauriniatis got benched this year too.

Stupar has been taking snaps at WLB in the base but Yes he's he's been the Mike in Nickel. It's not athletic..it's just football IQ for Anthony. Once he's not thinking so much his athleticism will take him to the ball but DA has said it and SP has said it. On game days they are trying to take the thinking off his plate and allow him to be in attack mode.

Behind the scenes I'm sure he's playing Mike on the scout or 2nd team and Sam was just a way to get him on the field for what has essentially been a learning year for him.

There is no doubt he's likely a little discouraged but I'm sure he'll get it together. No rush for now. He'll Lauriniatis got benched this year too.
I've seen plenty of Saints alignments with Stupar on the strong side and Robertson in the middle. But you say Stupar isn't getting snaps at Sam? Who is getting those snaps then? It's not Anthony. He's had 5 snaps in the last 2 games.

Football IQ is needed at every position, including SAM. That's why Anthony isn't getting snaps even at that position. Either the light comes on for Anthony and he will be a great all around linebacker, or the light doesn't come on, he will be used sparingly until some other team gets a chance to mold him into a good player. In which case we will really get to see a referendum on the defensive coaching.

I'm not complaining because I am in a rush to see Anthony contribute. I am complaining because so far their plan for developing Anthony looks incompetent and I have very little confidence in it. They've admitted to making a mistake in how they used him as a rookie, tried to go in a different direction the second year, and Anthony has not responded to either roles they've tried to put him in. I'm not even faulting Anthony because they botched his development. Throwing a rookie in to be the QB of an NFL defense was a dumb decision. Now they are trying to re-train him at a new position and he has to start over. And it looks like the game still is not making sense to Anthony. They've really made a mess trying to develop this asset.

Most of our snaps on defense are in the Nickle. SAM isn't going to get on the field much to begin with especially with Vacarro acting as that 3rd linebacker in Nickle.

Anyway, Im still interested in the bold claim that someone can name 100 pro bowl caliber linebackers. When you make **** claims like that, that is when people stop reading your nonsense and call bull ****.

I've seen plenty of Saints alignments with Stupar on the strong side and Robertson in the middle. But you say Stupar isn't getting snaps at Sam? Who is getting those snaps then? It's not Anthony. He's had 5 snaps in the last 2 games.

Football IQ is needed at every position, including SAM. That's why Anthony isn't getting snaps even at that position. Either the light comes on for Anthony and he will be a great all around linebacker, or the light doesn't come on, he will be used sparingly until some other team gets a chance to mold him into a good player. In which case we will really get to see a referendum on the defensive coaching.

I'm not complaining because I am in a rush to see Anthony contribute. I am complaining because so far their plan for developing Anthony looks incompetent and I have very little confidence in it. They've admitted to making a mistake in how they used him as a rookie, tried to go in a different direction the second year, and Anthony has not responded to either roles they've tried to put him in. I'm not even faulting Anthony because they botched his development. Throwing a rookie in to be the QB of an NFL defense was a dumb decision. Now they are trying to re-train him at a new position and he has to start over. And it looks like the game still is not making sense to Anthony. They've really made a mess trying to develop this asset.

I guess. I did a thread on this and took pictures in an article. What you are seeing is Stupar lining up as the Mike in Nickel situations but he's on the strong side of the formation.

Mauti was the guy getting the SAM snaps when we were playing a true 4-3 man front as our base. Since the bye week we haven't.

In particular against the Panthers there was an argument here that Robertson was listed as the Will and Stupar the Mike. Yet when you looked at the 4-3 alignment it was Stupar at Will, Robertson at Mike, and Mauti at Sam. When we shift to a nickel Robetson plays the Will and Stupar plays the Mike.

Regardless thats neither here nor there and is a moot point. You are right he isn't on the field because his Football IQ isn't where it needs to be. However, if you are reading my post I do believe that SAM was a way to get him on the field while they still cross-trained him behind the scenes at Mike. Now that we aren't playing a base 4-3 as much really nobody is getting Sam snaps. In fact if you really want to know Vaccaro has been playing as a SAM in a lot of snaps to keep the best 11 on the field. We've been playing 3 safety sets as our base...and he's been injured but even if he wasn't I'm sure they are still having him train to be the Mike...Sam was just a way to keep him in the rotation but this year appears to be a learning year for him. Just hope he gets it together.

Cool your nachos and read a little bro.

Most of our snaps on defense are in the Nickle. SAM isn't going to get on the field much to begin with especially with Vacarro acting as that 3rd linebacker in Nickle.

Anyway, Im still interested in the bold claim that someone can name 100 pro bowl caliber linebackers. When you make **** claims like that, that is when people stop reading your nonsense and call bull ****.

Thanks for fleshing that in few words.. I have a tendency to over explain but you get it.:9:

if you are reading my post I do believe that SAM was a way to get him on the field while they still cross-trained him behind the scenes at Mike.

Ok but here is the thing: isn't it possible that cross training Anthony at SAM interferes with his ability to train at Mike? So they are slowing his ability to develop at Mike in order to get him on the field at SAM, and he isn't even contributing at SAM. So again, even looking at it from your perspective, the plan for Anthony's development appears to be incoherent.

Ok but here is the thing: isn't it possible that cross training Anthony at SAM interferes with his ability to train at Mike? Cross-training him at SAM slows his ability to develop at Mike, and he isn't even contributing at SAM. So again, even looking at it from your perspective, the plan for Anthony's development appears to be incoherent.

No. As the Mike you need to know all the positions and what all the guys are doing. Anthony also had problems at the POA last year and playing SAM in theory at least would have forced him to practice on that.

I can't sit here and say i know every reason for why they are doing things..but I don't think they'd do it if it was going to have the negative effects you are saying.

The Rams starting MLB played Sam his 1st 3 years in the league b4 moving to Mike this year. Dont' see how a little reverse engineering hurts him:idunno:

No. As the Mike you need to know all the positions and what all the guys are doing. Anthony also had problems at the POA last year and playing SAM in theory at least would have forced him to practice on that.

I can't sit here and say i know every reason for why they are doing things..but I don't think they'd do it if it was going to have the negative effects you are saying.

The Rams starting MLB played Sam his 1st 3 years in the league b4 moving to Mike this year. Dont' see how a little reverse engineering hurts him:idunno:

Did he start at MLB, and then move to SAM, and then back to MLB? No. He spent 3 years developing at a single position and then moved to MLB after having sufficient experience. That is what a coherent strategy for developing a player looks like.

Did he start at MLB, and then move to SAM, and then back to MLB? No. He spent 3 years developing at a single position and then moved to MLB after having sufficient experience. That is what a coherent strategy for developing a player looks like.

You win...i digress.

Dennis Allen's defense is the WORST IN THE HISTORY OF THE NFL.

That's not quite true, is it?

Anyway, yesterday if gone. More important is tomorrow, our defense's trajectory. I think the trend is up, and I think it will make a hockey stick curve.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom