Stephone Anthony (1 Viewer)

jarrod74

I may be canadian but my heart is in the Big Easy
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Man this guy had so much potential and now just a special teamer 🤔 he can't be having that much trouble learning a simplified d can he ? Seems like he is falling through the cracks and shotty position coaching but man hate to see another wasted draft pick.

People think simplified D and think he can't articulate the D. I'm sure thats fine......Identifying what offenses are trying to do and what QB's are trying to do is likely whats giving him issues.

Making Checks, Identifying formations, Down/Distance awareness, Strength Alignment is completely different than "learning the D"

Man this guy had so much potential and now just a special teamer 🤔 he can't be having that much trouble learning a simplified d can he ? Seems like he is falling through the cracks and shotty position coaching but man hate to see another wasted draft pick.

Wasted draft pick is a fantastically accurate description

Get a legit position coach for starters, saints organization

It's not position coach .It is ,from what I see a guy that is uninterested in his job . He is not trying half the time hence not being on the field . He showed some flashes last season but in doing the job of the middle line backer he failed . Our defense was so out of place and lost with him trying to make calls and get guys lined up . He had a chance this season to take his role as a starter mind you , and go to the outside if he had put forth the effort to make the plays and try hard the coaches would find ways for him to be on the field . He has potintial but he needs to put 100 percent into it and he can succeed . I just think he had his feelings hurt by the move and it's gotten him into a funk , I hope he can pull out of it and be a contributor.

It's not position coach .It is ,from what I see a guy that is uninterested in his job . He is not trying half the time hence not being on the field . He showed some flashes last season but in doing the job of the middle line backer he failed . Our defense was so out of place and lost with him trying to make calls and get guys lined up . He had a chance this season to take his role as a starter mind you , and go to the outside if he had put forth the effort to make the plays and try hard the coaches would find ways for him to be on the field . He has potintial but he needs to put 100 percent into it and he can succeed . I just think he had his feelings hurt by the move and it's gotten him into a funk , I hope he can pull out of it and be a contributor.

This has some validity too it too. With that being said Robertsons play in the middle (ILB has been the least of our problems) allowing him to come along slowly and cross-train at MLB is the right thing to do. Sam LB(unless a hybrid pass-rusher or really good in coverage)is such a small role in today's NFL(and two things he's not) that his snaps would have been diminished anyhow. I do agree that he may be in a funk but I think going into next year we need to know if he can man the middle and I expect him to be the starter their by the time week 17 rolls around. At some point..it's only logical otherwise yeah it would be a wasted pick as he isn't a WLB candidate.

Patience though...I think they are just grooming him. He was kind of thrust in last year because we got rid of lofton and needed a Mike but I really think he was in over his head.

This has some validity too it too. With that being said Robertsons play in the middle (ILB has been the least of our problems) allowing him to come along slowly and cross-train at MLB is the right thing to do. Sam LB(unless a hybrid pass-rusher or really good in coverage)is such a small role in today's NFL(and two things he's not) that his snaps would have been diminished anyhow. I do agree that he may be in a funk but I think going into next year we need to know if he can man the middle and I expect him to be the starter their by the time week 17 rolls around. At some point..it's only logical otherwise yeah it would be a wasted pick as he isn't a WLB candidate.

Patience though...I think they are just grooming him. He was kind of thrust in last year because we got rid of lofton and needed a Mike but I really think he was in over his head.

Very hard to come into the NFL and become the starting inside linebacker for ANY team, let alone one of the worst defenses.

Oh I understand that we need patients I wanna see this guy ball I know he can .

Stephone Anthony is the perfect example of what is wrong with the Saints Defense. Investing a 1st round pick, have him play well in 2015, & now he is on the flippin bench!!!

What the hell did he do to lose the job on the field? This was decided in the off season by DA.

Dennis Allen has shown nothing so far & his demotion of Stephone is questionable at best.

Dennis Allen's defense is the WORST IN THE HISTORY OF THE NFL.

Pathetic that we even debate this mess of a D like there is some hidden progress or something.

Yup. Honestly, at this time, the guys in front of him are probably just plain better and more reliable. Anthony may be bigger, faster, stronger, and more athletic than the other LBs, but it seems like he's still developing in terms of the mental side of the game. MLB is a crazy cerebral position to play. Anthony might not be ready quite yet.

Lets be real, even last year, as good as he was stat-wise, he was kind of bad in coverage and missed a bunch of tackles. I'm not hating, I like Anthony a ton, I'm just stating points of concern. I mean, look at what the team felt it had to do in FA. In particular, we got John L. and Craig Robertson, who are legit experienced MLBs. They moved Steph to OLB to take advantage of his physical gifts, but most of all, to take the play calls and adjustment duties off of his plate. That in itself says a lot.

Sean Payton and Co. always play their best 11. That's been clear from day 1 of 06. I get it, but it's still crazy to me to see so much blame thrown at our coaches, as if the players themselves arent ever responsible for holding up their end of the commitment. In other words, if Anthony's not on field, I'd venture to say it has something to do with what Anthony's doing, or not doing, that's keeping him on the sideline.

That being said, it's only year 2. Even though he's taken a step back, that doesnt mean the team has given up on him. Besides, we're barely at the mid point of the year. He got hurt, and maybe that has something to do with his lack of playing time as well, who knows. There's still a lot of football left and plenty of opportunities for Anthony to get on the field.

Stephone Anthony is the perfect example of what is wrong with the Saints Defense. Investing a 1st round pick, have him play well in 2015, & now he is on the flippin bench!!!

What the hell did he do to lose the job on the field? This was decided in the off season by DA.

Dennis Allen has shown nothing so far & his demotion of Stephone is questionable at best.

Pathetic that we even debate this mess of a D like there is some hidden progress or something.

Payton shouldn't have never tinkered with the 2013 defense.

So what was Rob Ryan's defense before that (other than one good season)? What was Steve Spagnuolo's defense before that?

Seriously. This didn't start with Dennis Allen, and I'm willing to give him a pass due to the unusual amount of injuries with ZERO depth at key positions. It's all too easy to pin the "scapegoat" label on Dennis Allen, but he's not the cause of our problems. Far from it. All of this was caused by poor draft choices, poor salary cap management, and bad free agent signings under the Sean Payton and Mickey Loomis regime. Furthermore, I honestly don't see things getting any better until someone takes over for Mr. Benson and some accountability is brought back to the front office.

If out we ever become eliminated from playoff contention completely I really hope they just play him every snap for the rest of the season. I think he's a young guy that's started all his life and is having some trouble with the inconsistent playing time. I agree that he isn't ready to be in the middle of the defense but sometimes you just need athletes out there and let them make their mistakes. The Falcons have done this the past couple years with minimally more talent than us and it has gotten them into the 20's in total defense where we would be ecstatic to be.

They took a career MLB and moved him to a different position. Not surprising he's not very good at it, especially since the position doesn't get very many snaps per game.

See also: the Peat at everything but LT experiment. Played LT most of his career. They tried to turn him into something he's not and wasn't good. Got some time at his natural position and he's doing well.

Man would people actually let this kid develop and quit b********!? He is a 2nd year player! I can list a 100 names of LBs who took a couple of years to develop before they turned into pro bowl level players. We have some solid vet LBs who we are playing while letting Anthony develop. He had an injury that set him back this year while also playing a new position and cross training with his old one. Just shows how knowledgeable some people are about the game when they want to write off a player half way through his 2nd season. You would think some would have learned by now to give a player atleast 3 years before writing a player off and in most cases that is far to early. This kid has played a year in a half! Give it a break.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom