Sterling Moore and BW Webb (1 Viewer)

Payton: <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Sean Payton: <a href="https://twitter.com/SterlingMoore">@SterlingMoore</a> and <a href="https://twitter.com/OhGi_3Dawg3">@OhGi_3Dawg3</a> were great acquisitions <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Saints?src=hash">#Saints</a></p>&mdash; New Orleans Saints (@Saints) <a href="https://twitter.com/Saints/status/814493142259007488">December 29, 2016</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Vaccaro: <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">GREAT <a href="https://t.co/qs5ua5ZmAN">https://t.co/qs5ua5ZmAN</a></p>&mdash; Kenny Dwayne Vaccaro (@KennyVaccaro4) <a href="https://twitter.com/KennyVaccaro4/status/814615744428249088">December 29, 2016</a></blockquote>

Breaux and Strief: <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr"><a href="https://twitter.com/ZachStrief">@ZachStrief</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/Saints">@Saints</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/SterlingMoore">@SterlingMoore</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/OhGi_3Dawg3">@OhGi_3Dawg3</a> we need them here to win a superbowl...</p>&mdash; Delvin Chip Breaux (@BreauxShow24) <a href="https://twitter.com/BreauxShow24/status/814693712295030784">December 30, 2016</a></blockquote>

Strong words from the head coach, offensive captain, and defensive players all supporting these 2 guys. It really makes me wonder if we are in the CB market, especially when you consider we'll be getting Swann and PJ Williams back next year.

CBs would be Breaux and Williams starting, and PJ looked really good before he got injured - big upside. Swann has proven his ability as a Nickle, but he just has to stay healthy. Moore, Webb, and Crawley would round out the position.

The real bright side about this situation is that, instead of spending $10 million on a CB, we can put that towards a pass rusher or an OG in FA (or likely both). Here's to two young vets who are on the rise! :worthy:

I agree that OG is our a huge need. I think that we need both a RG and RT...and the likelihood of drafting both that will be starters in two years is low. Get Zeitler if the price is right...then draft a RT to groom while Strief is still serviceable.

But I disagree about CB. The team has now tried to trade for a marquee CB twice. The Saints will likely do their best to trade or sign a marquee guy this offseason. Unfortunately, Williams and Swann can't be relied upon. Their head injury histories place them at high risk of recurrence. And as good as Webb and Moore have been...I get the feeling that the Saints like them more as depth than starters.

Looking at where this draft is strong...its at DL, RB, and TE. Much like the 2014 draft that was silly good at WR...you just have to take advantage of what the draft gives you.

It could also be that our DB coach is just a superstar. I remember DA was the secondary coach when he was here in 09, so maybe the combo of him and Glenn are getting the best out of these guys.

I also think Harris can play. I guess we'll find out this week, but he played nickel the first few games and was barely targeted. That says a lot to me about his performance.

With an aggressive pass rush, our secondary should be just fine next year. And deep. Very deep. D line looks stout with Rankins, Jordan and Fairley.

Go all in on pass rushing end and LB's and get some good OL depth. Everything else is set.

I agree that OG is our a huge need. I think that we need both a RG and RT...and the likelihood of drafting both that will be starters in two years is low. Get Zeitler if the price is right...then draft a RT to groom while Strief is still serviceable.

But I disagree about CB. The team has now tried to trade for a marquee CB twice. The Saints will likely do their best to trade or sign a marquee guy this offseason. Unfortunately, Williams and Swann can't be relied upon. Their head injury histories place them at high risk of recurrence. And as good as Webb and Moore have been...I get the feeling that the Saints like them more as depth than starters.

Looking at where this draft is strong...its at DL, RB, and TE. Much like the 2014 draft that was silly good at WR...you just have to take advantage of what the draft gives you.

This draft is also strong at CB and thin at OL

This draft is also strong at CB and thin at OL

I think the CB depth is pretty strong...but it's not top heavy at all. I think that you wait until the 3rd round and beyond to get value. I think that the first two rounds will have stud DL, TE, and RB.

I hate to be the guy that is seen as bashing BW Webb, but the guy is not a good CB. He's had a few flashes, but there's no reason he should make this team next year if we do our job at upgrading the position.

If we go into next season basically flat at the position, we deserve to suck again.

I think the CB depth is pretty strong...but it's not top heavy at all. I think that you wait until the 3rd round and beyond to get value. I think that the first two rounds will have stud DL, TE, and RB.

My worries are the team will get too greedy and will sign the "best free agent corner" out there. I know they tried to do that with Norman. Good thing it didn't fall through. But the best thing for the team is to sure up the line up or get a fast edge rusher through the draft.

If we do sign someone, hopefully they don't come with a high price tag. We got good production out of Robinson and Stupar.

In order to fully implement Allen's offense you need two cover corners at the field at all times:

Breaux is that but you can't trust his health for 16 games.
Williams can be that player but we are not sure yet. We have one whole game as his experience.
Moore is a good backup but not a solid starter.
Swann is more suitable to play inside.
Webb is just depth as a fourth corner.

I think it is very important to bring another proven starter. You just can't trust your season on Breaux and Williams.

Those guys did a good job coming in off the street. However, we need a quality CB opposite Breaux to start. That should be a priority.

I hate to be the guy that is seen as bashing BW Webb, but the guy is not a good CB. He's had a few flashes, but there's no reason he should make this team next year if we do our job at upgrading the position.

If we go into next season basically flat at the position, we deserve to suck again.

I came here to post something similar.

I think Sterling Moore is a keeper and deserves to have the "Kyle Wilson" role. Basically that 4th or 5th corner that can start in a pinch.

We need to upgrade this position with an elite free agent or first round pick to play opposite Breaux. Stephon Gilmore is the guy I think we need to keep an eye on.

We can't count on Swann coming back at this stage and P.J. Williams is still an unknown, coming off a serious neck injury that landed him on I.R.

Crawley and Harris are serviceable at best, Crawley more so that Harris.

If we stay flat, we indeed are in trouble.

Ideally, this is what I'd like our cornerback crew to look like next year:

Breaux (#1 corner)
Expensive Free Agent or First Round pick (#2 corner)
P.J. Williams/Sterling Moore (compete for nickel and dime roles)
Swann/Crawley/Harris/Webb battle it out for the 5th spot

Let's not settle for "mildly adequate" guys.

In order to fully implement Allen's offense you need two cover corners at the field at all times:

Breaux is that but you can't trust his health for 16 games.
Williams can be that player but we are not sure yet. We have one whole game as his experience.
Moore is a good backup but not a solid starter.
Swann is more suitable to play inside.
Webb is just depth as a fourth corner.

I think it is very important to bring another proven starter. You just can't trust your season on Breaux and Williams.

This. DA and Glenn have done a great job with coaching up our young corners, but I still would grab one in FA. Personally, I like AJ Bouye, but he may be looking for a big 2nd contract ($6-7M/avg). Second and third options would be Captain Munnerlyn and Joe Haden if the price is right (<$4M/avg). That extra $2-3M could be used for an extra LB or top tier guard (not suggesting top tier OG is only $3M, just saying we could have more $ to negotiate with)

Breaux is a FA after this season and he was very cheap (~$1.6m/3yr). His next contract is likely his last contact so I doubt he gives a significant hometown discount and he will likely be in the $10-12M range, similar to Vacarro ($9-11M). Between those two and Cooks, you're looking at $25-30M in cap allocation (excluding Fairley). If a highly rated CB prospect falls in R2, but I think we still have to upgrade the safety position moreso than the CB based upon age/current depth (Byrd, Harper, Harris).

I came here to post something similar.

I think Sterling Moore is a keeper and deserves to have the "Kyle Wilson" role. Basically that 4th or 5th corner that can start in a pinch.

We need to upgrade this position with an elite free agent or first round pick to play opposite Breaux. Stephon Gilmore is the guy I think we need to keep an eye on.

We can't count on Swann coming back at this stage and P.J. Williams is still an unknown, coming off a serious neck injury that landed him on I.R.

Crawley and Harris are serviceable at best, Crawley more so that Harris.

If we stay flat, we indeed are in trouble.

Ideally, this is what I'd like our cornerback crew to look like next year:

Breaux (#1 corner)
Expensive Free Agent or First Round pick (#2 corner)
P.J. Williams/Sterling Moore (compete for nickel and dime roles)
Swann/Crawley/Harris/Webb battle it out for the 5th spot

Let's not settle for "mildly adequate" guys.

I would lean toward Bouye as the FA CB Gilmore struggled a bit this year don't know if it was coaching or injuries, I would lean towards coaching.

2nd group I agree 100%

In your 3rd group Crawley seems to have the most upside, Swann does too but the 3 concussions are worrying, Harris probably needs a year on the practice squad and Webb is what you see is what you get adequate at best.

I think he's better than Brian Dixon as a 5th/6th CB. Doesn't give you that same OMG Brian Dixon is on the field feeling that was so prevalent with him the last two years.

In that manner he'd he one of the better 5th DB's we've had. Churning the roster and going from Dixon to Webb isn't a bad thing.

I'll say this, I agree with everything and your reasons. I'd just like to note that intuition tells me that they like PJ Williams. SP pretty much glowed about him during the off-season and you have to think they were comfy walking away from Keenan Lewis after a few pre-season games.

For that reason I think they like him and all the more reason to IR him so he can get 100% healthy. Now because he got injured this year and missed out on experience you can't trust him to play opposite Breaux so getting a #1 is paramount but resigning Moore and having Williams compete with Moore for the #3/#4 spot shores up those two positions greatly. Best case scenario he returns and stays healthy and continues to showcase his talent and is your #3 CB. Worst case Moore is still your #3 and you are very comfy in that situation and redundancy that if something were to happen to Breaux or your new acquisition that he can step in and play on the outside.

So its a win so long as they acquire a CB in FA or trade and bring back Webb/Moore for depth.

I think a huge factor is what coverage scheme DA wants to run going forward. It seems to me, based on this season, that he prefers a zone scheme. Do any of our current guys excel in that scheme? If healthy, I think PJ could fit it well but I'm not sure about anybody else, including Breaux. If we're gonna be more of a zone defense next year, we need to find a CB that fits that scheme perfectly, like Asante Samuel did in his prime.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom