Sterling Moore: "Saints Finally Get Their Man" (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
Sterling Moore had turned the New Orleans Saints down twice before.

The veteran cornerback has hit the free agent market in each of the past two seasons. Both times, Saints general manager Mickey Loomis made a call.

Moore opted for other opportunities both times. The 5-foot-10, 200-pound cornerback chose Tampa Bay last season and started nine games for the Buccaneers, then signed with the Bills this offseason.

New Orleans kept an eye on him anyway. When Moore was released in Buffalo's final cuts last weekend, the Saints pounced.

Saints finally get their man by landing cornerback Sterling Moore | Saints | theadvocate.com

Great piece that explains why the Saints were so quick to cut Cortland Finnegan and replace him with a much younger model they've been pursuing for a while.

I don't get this. Moore has been bounced around the league for several years, and not a single team liked him.

I think those teams were playing him as one of their top 2 - or at least as a boundary - corners. We're looking at him to take over the nickel spot. Different animal.

Hope they have him scouted correctly. I liked the Cortland Finnegan signing...

Also, didn't we swear off signing players from the Bills yet...

Just a gut feeling, but i think we are all going to feel differently about the Bills players we have signed this season.

I'm with ya on that one. Spiller looked night and day different from last year and this is the first season that we've had Byrd coming off one season into the next at 100% with full participation in training camp. Those two being 100% healthy is something we've yet to see when it counts, except for when they were All-Pro players for the Bills.

Corey White and PRob were also good slot corners who ended up on the outside. Hopefully we don't end up in the same predicament with Moore.

Isn't that what we did with Randall Gay - Brought him in and played him mostly in the slot?

I think those teams were playing him as one of their top 2 - or at least as a boundary - corners. We're looking at him to take over the nickel spot. Different animal.

Very well articulated.

The point of him not being able to do much in the 1st game cements my point that Finnegan likely had a small role if any or would have been inactive in Week 1 and that we'll be trotting out our 3 Safety set that we practiced so much on but didn't reveal much of in the pre-season.

Whomever is the 3rd/4th CB out of Moore/Harris will likely only be 4th/5th in the DB rotation due to Vaccaro's ability to play the Slot and the presence of Bell/Harris/

We'll prob play a lot of packages and as Emory suggested in his FBGameplan the Raiders could decide to go 4WR's to stretch us and with the signing of Moore i feel a little bit more comfy about that.

From what I've seen, I'd still prefer Finnegan. That ****** bag can play sideline or nickel very well.

But I'm looking forward to what Moore brings either way

From what I've seen, I'd still prefer Finnegan. That ****** bag can play sideline or nickel very well.

But I'm looking forward to what Moore brings either way

I'm sure the Saints explained why they went the route they did to some degree. Assuming everyone stays healthy, then we have a younger guy. If heaven forbid we have more injuries, then we can always call Finnegan back and we don't have to guarantee his entire salary. This looks like a win win to me for the Saints.

Sean Payton said. "I think he is a smart player. He is very good in short area."
Payton says YES!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom