Steve Spagnuolo may get the biggest impact of Payton's late reinstatement (1 Viewer)

The Eagles are still looking, and it was thought he might go there last year when he signed with us instead. Could happen...

The Eagles would be a great fit for him. They have the personnel to run the kind of defense Spags likes.

I like Spagnuolo, and I think he was majorly screwed with this.

I tend to agree. I'm glad Payton let him go, don't get me wrong. I think we're moving in the right direction. However, I feel kinda bad for Spags. He had no way of knowing the bounty scandal would decimate the team and be a year long distraction. It would have been tough to install a new defense anyway, let alone with this cloud hanging over the team.

Given all that though....the defense was atrocious beyond measure and he had to be held accountable.

He seems like a good guy and I wish him well. Maybe he can land somewhere else. His reputation, though tarnished, will probably get him another gig.

The Eagles would be a great fit for him. They have the personnel to run the kind of defense Spags likes.

The thing is, the Eagles may be going to a 3-4 as well:

Philly Mag: Birds 24/7 says there is a "good chance" the Eagles transition to a 3-4 defense under new head coach Chip Kelly.
Kelly hasn't publicly spoken on the transition, but since his hiring it has been rumored that is the direction he is looking. The Eagles also have yet to hire a defensive coordinator, however 49ers DBs coach Ed Donatell has been linked as the favorite. New Eagles coaches reportedly discussed the transition with Illinois OLB/DE Michael Buchanan at the Senior Bowl, as well. The move would likely be bad news for MLB DeMeco Ryans, but DL Fletcher Cox would seem to be a perfect fit as a 3-4 defensive end.

NFL | 'Good chance' Eagles transition to the 3-4 - Rotoworld.com

Believe it or not, I thought about it before posting the thread. But I thought it was deserving.

No, I get it, and its a good discussion to have (saving that it doesn't spawn the GOTOHELL crazies, and fill the front page again). Spags will land on his feet, somewhere, and even if he takes a year off...it maybe needed after serving up the worst defense in NFL history.

No, I get it, and its a good discussion to have (saving that it doesn't spawn the GOTOHELL crazies, and fill the front page again). Spags will land on his feet, somewhere, and even if he takes a year off...it maybe needed after serving up the worst defense in NFL history.

Yeah, this had crossed my mind, yesterday. Spags is a victim of missing the first two weeks of the coaching carousel. Collateral damage, per se. And with the year he had, he needed every advantage he could get.

I had posted before that I wanted Spags gone but I thought that it wouldn't be done because it was so late. He's still getting paid though so it isn't all bad.

Believe it or not, I thought about it before posting the thread. But I thought it was deserving.

I like Spags too and wish he could've got one more year and see how him and Payton meshed truely but team comes first and if 3-4 is best for the team then I'm 100% down. By the way some fool on Twitter a few months ago tried to tell me he's talked to Spags before at a combine a few years ago and said Spags preferred a 3-4 but never had time to install it with the teams he coached and the GM's of those teams always wanted a 4-3. Well if that was true he would've stuck around with the Saints and given one more season to fix the D, right?

He will probably end up fine.

He can make a pretty good argument that his main problem is the lack of guidance or perhaps even communication and organizational skills.

He was not good without a Head Coach and not good when he was the Head Coach.

But every time he was under strong leadership he was awesome.

Is it really surprising he didnt do well under Kromer?

I dont see too many teams knocking down Spags door at the moment (anytime soon)...not coming off the worst "D" season ever. Nevermind the fact his squads have performed progressively worse every team he has been with since the NYG. Some will see it as the players, but I think it will hinder him enough to prevent a knee jerk re-hiring.

Yeah Spags has some resume and I am sure those teams would have jumped at a chance to have him.

To Goodell's credit (which I use credit VERY lightly with that ******) he didn't know Spags would be fired immediately.

I have gut feeling that Loomis or Benson had to go to Goodell and tell them what they thought needed to be done and that delaying Paytons reinstatement was going to put a hardship not just on the saints but other coaches.

boohoo. i'm sure teams are knocking down his door in the hopes that they too can have the worst defense in NFL history.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom