Sticking to our guys... (1 Viewer)

Wow....thats exactly how I feel, I really believe that Payton has learned alot about building a team through his experiences before becoming a head coach and like you said, his draft reflected the way he viewed his team, last year he thought he had the pieces (yr removed from NFC Championship game) why not come back fully intact and just try and add depth and potential through free agency and the draft....I think Payton is a strong believer in getting the most outa your draft picks, last year it appeared he drafted guys who had the ability but needed time, but it was ok with him because he thought he was bringing back a division championship caliber team, there still good players, but they werent meant to contribute right away.

I hear you. But, he was wrong. That has to be noticed. Of course, the year before he was correct on his FA's and draft. I think we'll see how much he gets it in this draft. There will be offensive talent comparable to the defensive talent available when the Saints are on the clock. This is a very important FA and draft for the Saints now and in the long term. With a good draft the Saints can be legitimate contenders in the NFC for years to come. It's hard to believe they can miss again like last season, but if they do, it could set the team back for years.

I hear you. But, he was wrong. That has to be noticed. Of course, the year before he was correct on his FA's and draft. I think we'll see how much he gets it in this draft. There will be offensive talent comparable to the defensive talent available when the Saints are on the clock. This is a very important FA and draft for the Saints now and in the long term. With a good draft the Saints can be legitimate contenders in the NFC for years to come. It's hard to believe they can miss again like last season, but if they do, it could set the team back for years.

I dont think one draft is gonna turn us into a championship team....were still trying to be consistent winners.

Here's another site that has everything happening in the NFL but ofcourse little noise on the Saints besides the Grant incident, the Gramatica signing and the Bush lawsuit....

http://www.rotoworld.com/Content/playernews.aspx?sport=NFL&filter_teams=NO

Last edited:
I keep surfing threw the internet to find some type of Saints news to see who we are looking at or who we are trying to bring back and the lastest update I can find is the Charles Grant incident and the news after that is the Reggie Bush Lawsuit and before that is the Saints playing in London.....I really dont think we are gonna be big players in free agency, I dont think that was ever the plan, I think resigning our guys are our top priorities and then we will get additional help through the Draft, i'm not saying we arent gonna sign any free agents, but I think we will let alot of players walk and resign some guys because they provide stability (Faine, Cooper, Patten, Goodwin etc)

I think thats been pretty much the premise through Sean Paytons regime, bring back the players who show they can play and target a specific player or two in free agency and find as many people as possible who can contribute through the draft, we struck out last year, but it appears we are headed for that again....

this is the website I was looking on trying to get a sniff of what the Saints had up there sleeve and ofcourse I couldnt find nothing, which resulted in me making this thread.

http://www.realfootball365.com/nfl/teams/saints/

every football site I go to says the same thing on the Saints "homepage", nothing about free agents or the draft....I really think were just trying to resign our guys (like we should) and go after players in the draft.

I think that is pretty much this staff's philosophy. Anyone that believes we're going to be throwing money at big name free agents will be extremely disappointed.

The NFL offseason is pretty boring for the most part. It is the longest offseason of all the major sports. The NFL Network helps but you are not going to find much information on any team right now. It should get more interesting in a few weeks when free agency period actually starts.

I think that is pretty much this staff's philosophy. Anyone that believes we're going to be throwing money at big name free agents will be extremely disappointed.

Thats how it is every year, expect for '06 when we made the NFC Championship. Hopefully Benson will open up the wallet and Payton can get who he wants. One or two new rookies will not change this team that much.

Thats how it is every year, expect for '06 when we made the NFC Championship. Hopefully Benson will open up the wallet and Payton can get who he wants. One or two new rookies will not change this team that much.

There are no big name FA's worth the money on the market. Samuels will want way to much. The 49ers have already said they will throw the bank at Briggs, who else is there? Zach Thomas is likely to be a Patriot.

If we don't sign a big FA this year I'm not gonna blame Loomis at all. The market is huge, the number of players are small, and we need to draft to build this defense anyway.

I keep surfing threw the internet to find some type of Saints news to see who we are looking at or who we are trying to bring back and the lastest update I can find is the Charles Grant incident and the news after that is the Reggie Bush Lawsuit and before that is the Saints playing in London.....I really dont think we are gonna be big players in free agency, I dont think that was ever the plan, I think resigning our guys are our top priorities and then we will get additional help through the Draft, i'm not saying we arent gonna sign any free agents, but I think we will let alot of players walk and resign some guys because they provide stability (Faine, Cooper, Patten, Goodwin etc)

I think thats been pretty much the premise through Sean Paytons regime, bring back the players who show they can play and target a specific player or two in free agency and find as many people as possible who can contribute through the draft, we struck out last year, but it appears we are headed for that again....

this is the website I was looking on trying to get a sniff of what the Saints had up there sleeve and ofcourse I couldnt find nothing, which resulted in me making this thread.

http://www.realfootball365.com/nfl/teams/saints/

every football site I go to says the same thing on the Saints "homepage", nothing about free agents or the draft....I really think were just trying to resign our guys (like we should) and go after players in the draft.

Part 2:
Just because we haven't heard/read anything doesn't mean that we won't, although I do agree with you that we probably won't sign any big name FA's. I'm okay with what Payton and co. are trying to do. It worked in 2006. I think last offseason we were 'lax' in our draft and FA signings which was a mistake. I don't think we have to break the bank to improve the team.

I will say this though, we do take care of our own players, but I think thats because we know what we are getting into and its totally different paying a guy for what he did for another team hoping he does it for yours, than it is to pay a guy who has helped your team succeed...even though both examples can end the same (player not living up to his contract)

Benson has shown that he will pay for performance....

There are no big name FA's worth the money on the market. Samuels will want way to much. The 49ers have already said they will throw the bank at Briggs, who else is there? Zach Thomas is likely to be a Patriot.

If we don't sign a big FA this year I'm not gonna blame Loomis at all. The market is huge, the number of players are small, and we need to draft to build this defense anyway.

Good post. I feel the same way. There were 17 other teams that had at least $20 mil to spend in FA (before the franchise tags). Once the franchise tags started falling the talent pool shrank to virtually nothing. Small talent pool + lots of teams with money = overpaying for average FAs. I don't think anyone on this board wants to see us throw $55 mil at William James just to sign a CB. I think we will sign some guys. I just hope they're the right guys for the right price.......

Good post. I feel the same way. There were 17 other teams that had at least $20 mil to spend in FA (before the franchise tags). Once the franchise tags started falling the talent pool shrank to virtually nothing. Small talent pool + lots of teams with money = overpaying for average FAs. I don't think anyone on this board wants to see us throw $55 mil at William James just to sign a CB. I think we will sign some guys. I just hope they're the right guys for the right price.......

Agreed. Just be prepared for board meltdown when we start seeing above average players getting big money from other teams because they're all that's available. Meanwhile, the Saints are trying to get the right players at the right price. Some posters will need to be put on suicide watch.

I agree, I think free agency is gonna become more and more mute, because teams tag there talent and the Draft is gonna become that much more important, I mean we get 7-8 hand picked guys to help out team, thats a good deal to me that should always be taken advantage of...I think the FA we go after will still help this team, but as far as building blocks....we need to look to the draft.

Well, if we aren't going to get a bunch of building blocks in free agency, then we should spend our money on one young big play guy and draft for the rest of them. We need to at least get into the conversation with Asante or Briggs, I don't care what you think. Our bargain bin shopping over the history of this franchise has not gotten us very far.

The front office needs to do something about the cornerback situation in free agency. Do we want a rookie lining up opposite Jason David or Usama Young on opening day?

The front office needs to do something about the cornerback situation in free agency. Do we want a rookie lining up opposite Jason David or Usama Young on opening day?

I do think we will pursue a CB or 2. Who knows when McKenzie will be healed enough to play and we can't go into training camp just expecting that Young will develop.

However, I think people need to get their minds off names like Asante Samuels and Marcus Trufant and start thinking of guys like Drayton Florence, Randall Gay and William James. Those are probably the level players we will try to pursue, but if the market dictates we'd have to overpay for 2nd or middle tier talent, we probably won't.

If the rookie came in and performed like Marques Colston did when he was a rookie then I wouldn't mind.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom