Sticking to our guys... (1 Viewer)

Well, if we aren't going to get a bunch of building blocks in free agency, then we should spend our money on one young big play guy and draft for the rest of them. We need to at least get into the conversation with Asante or Briggs, I don't care what you think. Our bargain bin shopping over the history of this franchise has not gotten us very far.

Bingo! If we want to rebuild the defense we better get playmakers!.....building through the draft backfired on us, when it became evident that we have no clue how to draft defense! We drafted how many LBs in the first 3 rds for the past 5 years? Let's see...Allen Hodge, C Grant Watson...just to name a few....all busts! fact is....we don't draft well at all, when it comes to defensive players.....so why not go after the few stars in FA?

We're alot liek the Pats after their superbowl win to the Rams. Good draft and signings the year we made the champ game, next year, players for learning and depth, causes a year of drop off. Third year into Paytons tenure we know more of our weaknesses, our depth and learning draft pays dividens and because of our roster depth, year in and out we can draft the same way and never have to break the bank on anybody... thats how i see it anyway.

We're alot liek the Pats after their superbowl win to the Rams. Good draft and signings the year we made the champ game, next year, players for learning and depth, causes a year of drop off. Third year into Paytons tenure we know more of our weaknesses, our depth and learning draft pays dividens and because of our roster depth, year in and out we can draft the same way and never have to break the bank on anybody... thats how i see it anyway.
does that mean we will go 16-0 in a few years?

Thats how average teams, like ours, become great. They build through the draft. People point to the Pats, but they were already dominant when they got those FA's last year and that dominance by and large came from good drafting.

I notice that you are a huge advocate of building through the draft. While it completely makes sense and that's how the Colts did it, I don't think it's ever going to work like that for the Saints. The Saints have always tried to build through the draft, that's nothing new. It's not like the Saints consistently trade top draft picks away like the Dolphins were known for years ago. I seriously think that the Saints scouting staff is one of the worst in the league. Because of this, their drafts will almost always be lackluster overall. They may get good starters every year or so, but none of them ever develop into superstars.

Colts have Bill Polian. I'm convinced that this guy is a pure football genius. He just knows great football players when he sees them. Saints GM is a bean counter, and consistently has a good salary cap situation. I believe that taking advantage of free agency should be a staple of this team, rather than signing marginal players in FA and banking on the draft to get our superstars. I know how backwards that sounds, but our scouting staff, for whatever reason, just can't eye good talent.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom