Still hard to know what to expect from the offensive line with preseason over for Saints starters (1 Viewer)

The starting O-line was much better tonight and I have zero complaints for them.....as a matter of fact, I'll say I'm proud of the way they stepped up. The second and third stringers were a hot mess disaster.

yea bc they were playing the backups

Exactly how I feel, they did nothing to bolster any confidence in them, hopefully they find the right combo of players that can protect Brees and improve the running game....we'll see

Well, then by that logic there was nothing they could of done last night to bolster confidence. Suggs and Dumervil were never going to play.

They played against the guys in front of them. Those same 2nd team pass rushers had 4 sacks last week against Detroit. They weren't playing a high school defensive line. Timmy Jernigan is a good situational rusher. Matt Judon was a monster at a small school in college and has now had a sack in every preseason game except ours last night. Victor Ochi has multiple sacks already this prseason. These are the guys who are going to replace Suggs (about to be 34) in a year or two.

The starting OL went out there and played well. And forget about just the pass blocking. They showed serious improvement in run blocking and being on their assignments.

There were only two outcomes possible last night for the starters. Suck against 2nd teamers. Or play well against them. I'll take the latter.

Suggs and Dumervil are also not a typical NFL pass-rush tandem. They are top 5 in the league if they play up to potential. There are teams we'll play this season that do not have a pass rush that even is as good as the Ravens 2nd teamers.

We saw this coming though, right? The O-line has been in steady decline since 2011. The apparent whiff on Peat, coupled with letting Jahri go, has blown the doors off.

Jahri was not a very good player for us the last few seasons that he was with us. I know some will argue that he was better than what we have, but that is debatable based on his subpar play. With his very large contract and declining ability, he was not worth keeping on the team. That said, we, so far, have missed on finding a long term replacement. However just because we failed in one area does not mean the alternative is better. It was time to move on from Jahri even though he will always be a Saint.

Well, then by that logic there was nothing they could of done last night to bolster confidence. Suggs and Dumervil were never going to play.

They played against the guys in front of them. Those same 2nd team pass rushers had 4 sacks last week against Detroit. They weren't playing a high school defensive line. Timmy Jernigan is a good situational rusher. Matt Judon was a monster at a small school in college and has now had a sack in every preseason game except ours last night. Victor Ochi has multiple sacks already this prseason. These are the guys who are going to replace a going on 34 years old Suggs in a year or two.

The starting OL went out there and played well. And forget about just the pass blocking. They showed serious improvement in run blocking and being on their assignments.

There was only two outcomes possible last night for the starters. Suck against 2nd teamers. Or play well against them. I'll take the latter.

Suggs and Dumervil are also not a typical NFL pass-rush tandem. They are top 5 in the league. There are teams we'll play this season that do not have a pass rush that even is as good as the Ravens 2nd teamers.

Exactly. I didn't see the game, but by all accounts the line played much, much better. However some can't be troubled to be happy about that. Had the line looked bad, we would have an endless stream of negative posts. The line plays well and there is a steady stream of downplaying and excusing their positive performance.

BTW, Suggs didn't even play last year. Several of the guys who started last night were starters last season on the line or 3rd down pass rushers.

Dumveril also had only 6 sacks in 16 games in 2015.

Be honest. Had those two played, many of these same people would of said "yeah, well Suggs is old and coming off an injury and Dumervil is a bust!"

I disagree....guess you and I watched a different first quarter? After the starters left the game....it was a disaster. I predict our O-line will perform fine this year....and yes, everyone can remember or call me out for saying it. Game on! Who Dat !!

Maybe I was a little too vague, my bad I meant the line as a whole as in starters and backups. If an injury occurs those "disaster" players will have to start. I hope you're right about the line playing "fine" this year because I really believe we are a few Gaurds away from being a really good offensive line. Still feeling pretty optimistic about this year though. :9:

I disagree....guess you and I watched a different first quarter? After the starters left the game....it was a disaster. I predict our O-line will perform fine this year....and yes, everyone can remember or call me out for saying it. Game on! Who Dat !!

I think you are being too general here.

The 1st team looked fine. Even good. We all agree on that.

On the 3rd and 4th drives, we put in some 2nd teamers and we had some really good run blocking plays. I remember two good runs by Hightower and a couple of good plays by Spiller.

After that, we had 3rd stringers at all the positions except LG and LT (Hills would be 2nd team I think). Henry at Center was an absolute disaster. And Hills/Barnes were awful at the T positions.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Payton said Andrus Peat probably graded out pretty well last night.</p>&mdash; Josh Katzenstein (@jkatzenstein) <a href="https://twitter.com/jkatzenstein/status/771719043799670784">September 2, 2016</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Payton believes Andrus Peat graded out very well. Saints are still in the middle of going through last night&#39;s tape.</p>&mdash; Joel A. Erickson (@JoelAErickson) <a href="https://twitter.com/JoelAErickson/status/771719050485301248">September 2, 2016</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

They played against the guys in front of them. Those same 2nd team pass rushers had 4 sacks last week against Detroit. They weren't playing a high school defensive line. Timmy Jernigan is a good situational rusher. Matt Judon was a monster at a small school in college and has now had a sack in every preseason game except ours last night. Victor Ochi has multiple sacks already this prseason. These are the guys who are going to replace Suggs (about to be 34) in a year or two.

There were only two outcomes possible last night for the starters. Suck against 2nd teamers. Or play well against them. I'll take the latter.

Suggs and Dumervil are also not a typical NFL pass-rush tandem. They are top 5 in the league if they play up to potential. There are teams we'll play this season that do not have a pass rush that even is as good as the Ravens 2nd teamers.

OK, point taken...but the line has been in steady decline starting with not re-signing Carl Nicks....I hope they improve as the season goes on but I have my doubts. If this season goes downhill then IMO it will be the failure to upgrade both OG positions.....

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom