Stolen Gift Card Question (1 Viewer)

Kenosha26

Veteran
Reaction score
I need some help with a gift card that was given to me as a graduation present. It was a $200 American Express gift card purchased/activated at a CVS pharmacy. I had the gift card in my possession and at all times and it still remains in my possession. Recently I was planning on using it and double checked the balance, however only $26.90 remained. So I checked with AmEx Gift Card and someone made a purchase on Overstock.com and had a Fitbit sent to an address in NY in mid-July. I checked with Overstock.com and they can't give me much info, nor will they give me money back. AmEx will not dispute any gift card purchases as well. I have made numerous calls to both AmEx and Overstock and even had 3-way call, but nobody will budge. When I asked Overstock.com what was the security number used in the purchase, they told me they do not require it for online purchases. I feel they have to assume some responsibility and so should AmEx since they 4 digit security code was not used in making the purchase. I tried BBB, my police department, and the police department in Saratoga Springs, NY but I haven't had any luck. Overstock is telling me to dispute the purchase of the gift card with CVS because it was (in there words) most likely compromised when I purchased it. I contacted 1800-shop-CVS and they are telling me if $200 was placed on the card then they are not liable either. I really wish I would have used the gift card as soon as I got it, but it expires in 2024 so I wasn't in a rush to use it. Anybody encounter this situation before? Or anybody have any legal advice? I want my money back... $173.10 can get some nice Saints tickets. Please respond if you have any suggestions, thanks!!

You really have three options:

1. Work with the bank (AmEx) and/or the vendor to get relief.
2. Work with law enforcement
3. Litigation

It sounds like you have tried option 1 and haven't gotten anywhere. You didn't get anywhere with your local law enforcement but does the state have a cyber-crimes unit? Or FBI? I wouldn't consider this small potatoes but it might be worth a call or email.

On option 3, I don't think it's worth your time to sue them but perhaps there's some consumer-law plaintiffs lawyer out there who has a class action against AmEx or Overstock for not following security features. Perhaps that bears doing a bit of research but I wouldn't get my hopes up.

Good luck, that sucks.

Damn. That sucks. What might have happened is someone had those numbers and were constantly checking to see when they were activated. Once he or see saw it was, shopping they went. It sucks all major web sites don't require the CVC/security number when making purchases. It makes no sense.

Was the PIN/CVC covered when you received the card?

Last week I submitted a claim on FBI website for Internet crime known as IC3 (Internet Crime Complaint Center), but haven't heard anything back from them. Not sure if it will even do anything to get my money back, but I did give them all the information I had available. I do have the address to which it was shipped (one of the many calls I made to Overstock.com I think the representative did not realize her mistake in giving somewhat confidential information). So if there any Saints fans in Saratoga Spring, NY looking to make some extra cash... just saying!

Yes it sucks, and yes the pin/CVC was covered. It came in a little cardboard envelope.

The question is "is 173 dollars worth your time and effort above and beyond what you've done already"

Sorry to hear this but it seems to be the way of the internet world these days.

I would take a road trip to the address where the package was delivered and polity ask for my money back with a baseball bat in my hand.

Yeah, the problem is the amount is enough to suck for you and for the retailers involved (if it were less they might be more inclined out of PR to just give in), but not enough to pursue deeper remedies.

Just grasping at straws here:

How about trying posting on every bit of social media that you can how AmEx and CVS are refusing to help you with outright theft? Maybe also post that you were told the card was likely compromised when and where it was purchased? Ask everyone to share and/or retweet. Make it clear you have already appealed to them for help and they refused to do anything. Get your parents to also put the story on their social media accounts. Maybe also the person who purchased the card, if appropriate.

I think either or both of those companies probably monitor social media and would possibly restore the balance on the card rather than risk a big stink. Worth a shot?

The question is "is 173 dollars worth your time and effort above and beyond what you've done already"

Sorry to hear this but it seems to be the way of the internet world these days.

I agree with you, I want to just say screw it. But at the same time it seems somebody should be liable. I guess, it is kind of a principle thing for me. I still want to know why they even have the security codes on the card if they don't require them to be used. I may give AmEx Gift card department one last call, even try to tell them I will blast them on social media. It sucks because nobody for AmEx gift card department was born in the United States, aka not very good English. Thanks for the input fellas. So does anybody live close to Saratoga Springs, NY?

I agree with you, I want to just say screw it. But at the same time it seems somebody should be liable. I guess, it is kind of a principle thing for me. I still want to know why they even have the security codes on the card if they don't require them to be used. I may give AmEx Gift card department one last call, even try to tell them I will blast them on social media. It sucks because nobody for AmEx gift card department was born in the United States, aka not very good English. Thanks for the input fellas. So does anybody live close to Saratoga Springs, NY?
The one liable is the *** who stole your number. It would be difficult for me to find fault with AMEX. They created the security code. But it's the retailer who should require their customers to use it. It's unfortunate they don't.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom