Stone Cold Payton gets what he wants and don't play any games. (1 Viewer)

Taker597

Hall-of-Famer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score

“I hadn’t talked to coach Payton yet, so it was a bit of a surprise,” Stevens said. “I was kind of caught off guard by it, but getting to talk to coach Payton, someone of his magnitude, it was awesome.”

Payton started to make a pitch to Stevens about why Stevens should sign with New Orleans after the draft, that the team had a “unique vision” for him as a player and thought he would be a fit in the organization. There was just one problem.

“At the time, I thought I was actually going to have a better fit in another place,” Stevens said. “So, as polite and respectful as I could, I told coach Payton, ‘Hey, I think my best situation might be going a different route.’ ”

He received another call from a number he did not recognize, only this time it came from a 504 area code. He answered, and Payton was on the line with Saints general manager Mickey Loomis.

“Coach Payton said this, and I’ll never forget it: ‘Last time I called you, I was asking you to come to New Orleans, but this time I’m not giving you the choice. We’re going to trade up in the draft, and we’re going to take you,’ ” Stevens recalled.

I love it.

Funny that this article doesn't mention he had agreed to terms with Carolina. Looks like people are changing their stories now that it came out. Ha ha. I'm curious how we use him as keeping a 4th QB isn't ideal.

Thats not at all what I gathered from this interview. He clearly said the Saints were at the top of his list.

Exactly. Payton even said that he had more respect for him because he stuck to the initial agreement he had made with Carolina. That was the only reason he turned down the Saints' offer to join the team.

Reggie Bush's Agent circa April 2006 -

Hey Sean... Super Dooper Agent for Reggie here... Look man... Reggie is a Hollywood Star and New Orleans is... well haha... you know some adorable but so small town... Not Reggie's style ya got me Sean? Now listen you just need to trade that pick and you will get a bunch of nice players who.. well you know.. are not stars like Reggie... ya with me Sean?

Sean Payton'

#$@$# you

Phone

Click

Reggie Bush's Agent circa April 2006 -

Hey Sean... Super Dooper Agent for Reggie here... Look man... Reggie is a Hollywood Star and New Orleans is... well haha... you know some adorable but so small town... Not Reggie's style ya got me Sean? Now listen you just need to trade that pick and you will get a bunch of nice players who.. well you know.. are not stars like Reggie... ya with me Sean?

Sean Payton'

#$@$# you

Phone

Click

Forgot to add

I love Sean Payton

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom