Straight Pride (1 Viewer)

the problem is “gay” is such a good perjorative, it just refers to the wrong thing
Awhile back I tried to change it to mean ‘dick Cheney and things that are like dick cheney’
Hasn’t quite stuck yet

There was a store around the corner from my house growing up that would sell anyone beer and cigarettes. We referred to it as "gay City" and thought we were cool referencing the British slang for cigarettes. There are a number of us from that little group who still use that term for damn near anything.

What do you do?

Wow, you can back up that statement with statistics? Because I think you pulled that right out of your butt, and you have no idea what you’re talking about.

Am I the only one that got the “pulled that right out of your butt” in a thread about gay pride? Is it me or you guys??
FF508629-E8F4-41C0-AAF5-D94BF31AC883.jpeg

We referred to it as "gay City" and thought we were cool referencing the British slang for cigarettes.

In Stratford, Ontario - home to an amazing theater festival and Justin Beiber and one of my favorite places in the entire province - there's a business - gay Ball Bearings.

https://barfblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/gay.stratford.jpg

The signage was HUGE. The building was well lit at night and the letters were lit - so it was blazing bright at night.

The sign was finally changed - after a 'hostile takeover' from a competitor.

But it was one of the first things welcoming you to the city - a small hamlet in the middle of Ontario dairy country that hosts the Stratford Festival each summer.

I hate to admit it, but I've used the words "gay" and "gay" as a pejorative my whole life. I've always had gay friends. I have gay family members and I really don't have any problem with homosexuals, but I have used "that's gay" forever and it's hard not to. I do it on occasion even with my gay friends and then immediately feel like a heel.

My 15 year old daughter gets very mad when I do and her anger is actually helping train me not to use it, but I'm old.

Her age group is offended by people who are offended by homosexuals and my age group has it so engrained in us that gay is weird or odd that I use it as a cut down wholly unrelated to sexuality.

Times are changing, but not fast enough.

That's the beauty of Mexican slang. There are sooo many ways to call a spade a spade, but if you are not Mexican, you don't get it :hihi:.

My mother in law's middle name was Gay; that's the name anyone knew her by, and the name she used in her business; she was in real estate. There were some awkward moments, I'll tell you :hihi:

In Stratford, Ontario - home to an amazing theater festival and Justin Beiber and one of my favorite places in the entire province - there's a business - gay Ball Bearings.

https://barfblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/gay.stratford.jpg

The signage was HUGE. The building was well lit at night and the letters were lit - so it was blazing bright at night.

The sign was finally changed - after a 'hostile takeover' from a competitor.

But it was one of the first things welcoming you to the city - a small hamlet in the middle of Ontario dairy country that hosts the Stratford Festival each summer.
This reminds me of a Tech Company that was trying to get my company to use it's products. In 2012, they lost a court battle that forced them to change their name because of trademark infringement. So they changed their name to ISIS. Seemed like a pretty cool name.

Let's just say that by 2014, they were undergoing their 2nd name change in less than 2 years. I still have some thumbdrives and battery packs and different swag with the ISIS name on it. Though I don't bring any of it with me when travelling through airports. Haha.

This reminds me of a Tech Company that was trying to get my company to use it's products. In 2012, they lost a court battle that forced them to change their name because of trademark infringement. So they changed their name to ISIS. Seemed like a pretty cool name.

Let's just say that by 2014, they were undergoing their 2nd name change in less than 2 years. I still have some thumbdrives and battery packs and different swag with the ISIS name on it. Though I don't bring any of it with me when travelling through airports. Haha.
bc of this?
i mean, it wasn't the best show, but to cause a name change??

This discussion reminds me of watching Tom Brown's Schooldays on Masterpiece Theater in early 1973 ; the frequent use of that 3-letter f-word for a younger kid being forced to play servant to brutal older ones left me befuddled, and took away any interest I might have ever had for English public schools.

Funny because with my grandma being an English war bride I thought fags were cigarettes for years. It wasn’t until late middle school when it was explained to me that no. Fags when being referred to my uncle Jim were not his cigarettes......

So it was clever of TripAdvisor to have some fun with their cease and desist letter; but really, it's still just giving light to a trollish fringe group.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom