Straight Pride (3 Viewers)

Agreed. I know the life of a closeted gay man very well, spent many years in it myself. I never was violent or hateful towards gays, I more so looked upon them with pity because "they" weren't able to control a desire that I myself was able to keep under control. Of course I was just lying to myself and was never really able to control anything, it was fear that controlled me. But that fear of being discovered or found out and being associated with gays is a strong motivator to hang on tightly to masculine expectations and in some cases act out in rage against gays.
when 'don't ask/don't tell' was being floated i was reading a fair amount of research about masculinity & closeting
one of the more interesting discoveries was that the military & the priesthood had a higher percentage of gays than the average (obviously this is mostly polling as hard data would be difficult to come by - puns intended- but if it was something like 10 percent in the population as a whole, then 15-18 percent in military & religion)
the analysis being that many ran to those 'careers' to run away from the gay

of course the 'i'm going to run away from my gay by surrounding myself with buff make beefcake' was probably not the best thought out plan (unless it was...???)

when 'don't ask/don't tell' was being floated i was reading a fair amount of research about masculinity & closeting
one of the more interesting discoveries was that the military & the priesthood had a higher percentage of gays than the average (obviously this is mostly polling as hard data would be difficult to come by - puns intended- but if it was something like 10 percent in the population as a whole, then 15-18 percent in military & religion)
the analysis being that many ran to those 'careers' to run away from the gay

of course the 'i'm going to run away from my gay by surrounding myself with buff make beefcake' was probably not the best thought out plan (unless it was...???)

:smilielol: Got me good with that line.

I can definitely see that. I didn't know that was the case for the military, but now that you mention it, I have a lot of gay friends that where in the military. I always felt that was the case with the priest that were gay. The Catholic Church teaches that acting on homosexual attraction is sinful and intrinsically immoral. Thus, the only true life for somebody with homosexual feelings is to celibate in order to stay in God's good graces. It makes complete sense that many young gay Catholic men would go into the priesthood as a way to try and live out their Christian life. I myself considered the priesthood when I was younger. I would have made a poor priest, lol.

Last edited:
There's an Italian farmer around here who races P51 Mustangs

His first one was Mangia Pane (bread eater) a sort of insult meaning roughly the same as redneck or poor trash in Italian.

7bde9f8062ad19f01cd9a0525f2bebdf.jpg

Second one was Strega. Dunno what Strega means but its probably something somrewhat awful, IIRC he sold strega to someone who renamed it to Mustang Sally

b7265e30c15502325333152360250ace.jpg

Strega and Mangia Pane

His third one was Dago Red, a salute to Italian red wine
300px-P-51D_Mustang_Dago_Red.jpg

Im not sure what that means but I am sure you guys would feel very strongly on one side or the other about what are decent names for aircraft and whether Italians should be allowed to openly parade or not
first of all, I never expressed an opinion one way or another about who should be able to claim pride of anything. Second of all, he's an Italian. He chose to wear what can typically be considered an ethnic insult as armor against anyone else insulting him. Good for him. That doesn't mean that everyone has to do the same.

Lastly, the comment you quoted was an attempt to get someone to understand how some things could be appropriate in some circles, and not in others. So I really don't know what in the world your post was meant to criticize or oppose here.

first of all, I never expressed an opinion one way or another about who should be able to claim pride of anything. Second of all, he's an Italian. He chose to wear what can typically be considered an ethnic insult as armor against anyone else insulting him. Good for him. That doesn't mean that everyone has to do the same.

Lastly, the comment you quoted was an attempt to get someone to understand how some things could be appropriate in some circles, and not in others. So I really don't know what in the world your post was meant to criticize or oppose here.

OK

dang... we went from gay to pedophilia in record time in this thread!

ooh ooh... do bestiality next!
Yes! And next they'll be wanting to marry their dogs. You now how those people are...

:hihi:

It's Gay Pride for the same reason Black Heritage month exists. Because for so many years folks in these demographics were marginalized and even beaten, shot, or lynched. Yeah they'll get over it about the same time many white people in the south get over the Civil War.

I'm proud to be a straight white male...

Jimmies ruffled...?

I find it hilarious that Bleu questioned this, as dumb as it is, and others are mocking it....
It's okay to have any other "pride" celebration, but when this happens, people **** their pants... I find it very ironic...
I'm not proud to be a straight white male because it would be the same thing as being proud of having brown (well, brown and gray) hair. I am glad I didn't have to fight the sexual identity struggle as do so many others. I am glad I can walk down the street holding hands with my wife and not fear attacks from ignorant knuckle-draggers. I have nothing but sympathy for those who do fight those battles every day.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom