Strength of schedule question? (1 Viewer)

Lee Newell

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
...with the way that the Bills and Jets played in week one, do you think the Saints now have the toughest schedule in the NFL? This was supposed to be the weakest part of the schedule, less Philly, but I don't think that either game now is a cakewalk. The Bills managed to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory while the Jets shallacked the Texans in Houston week one......thoughts?

Slow down. It's very hard to judge a team after one week.

And it really doesn't matter. Schedule strength has no impact in the NFL. We just have to play the teams on our schedule and beat them - no matter who they are.

Well the rest of the NFC south has to play the same schedule, except that they have to play the Saints twice, and instead of the Rams and Lions they play tougher teams from the NFC west and NFC North. So I'd say the Panthers Falcons and Bucs have it worse.

Slow down. It's very hard to judge a team after one week.

And it really doesn't matter. Schedule strength has no impact in the NFL. We just have to play the teams on our schedule and beat them - no matter who they are.

I know strength of schedule doesn't mean a whole lot in the NFL. I was just asking the question so when we win it all, does it mean more because we really earned it vs cakewalking to the SB (tougue n cheek)

I know strength of schedule doesn't mean a whole lot in the NFL. I was just asking the question so when we win it all, does it mean more because we really earned it vs cakewalking to the SB (tougue n cheek)

I hear ya. Apart from a couple of teams (Lions and Rams?) are there any teams in the NFL that you would consider a cakewalk? I guess the NFC West is pretty weak but we're in what is clearly one of the stronger divisions in the NFL. And I don't really remember anyone saying the Cardinals had it easy to get to the SuperBowl last year - they still had to win in the playoffs. We have a strong schedule; there's nothing cakewalk about it.

But again, it is a wholly meaningless issue.

But again, it is a wholly meaningless issue.

Not so fast there hombre

NFL tiebreaking procedures

Within a Division
If two teams in the same division finish with identical records, the following tiebreakers will be used, in this order, until a champion is determined.

1. Head-to-Head
2. Division Record
3. Common Games
4. Conference Record
5. Strength of victory
6. Strength of Schedule
7. Combined Ranking Among Conference Teams (points scored and points allowed)
8. Combined Ranking Among All Teams (points scored and points allowed)
9. Net Points (common games)
10. Net Points (all games)
11. Net Touchdowns (all games)

If three or more teams in the same division finish with identical records, the following tiebreakers will be used, in this order, until a champion is determined.

1. Head-to-Head
2. Division Record
3. Common Games
4. Conference Record
5. Strength of victory
6. Strength of Schedule
7. Combined Ranking Among Conference Teams (points scored and points allowed
8. Combined Ranking Among All Teams (points scored and points allowed
*If two clubs remain tied after a third is eliminated during any step, the tie breaker reverts to step 1 of the two-team format.

WILD-CARD

If two or more teams finish the season tied for one of the two Wild-Card berths, one of the following scenarios will apply. If the tied teams are from the same division, the divisional tie breaker above is used. If the tied teams are from different divisions, the following tiebreakers are used:

Two Teams

1. Head-to-Head
2. Conference Record
3. Common Games (minimum of four)
4. Strength of Victory
5. Strength of Schedule
6. Combined Ranking Among Conference Teams (points scored and points allowed)
7. Combined Ranking Among All Teams (points scored and points allowed)
8. Net Points (conference games)
9. Net Points (all games)
10. Net Touchdowns (all games)
11. Coin Toss

Three or More Teams

*If two clubs remain tied after a third is eliminated during any step, the tie breaker reverts to step 1 of the two-team format.
Start by eliminating all but the highest ranked club in each division by using the divisional tiebreaker above. After the field has been narrowed to no more than one team from each division, the following tiebreakers are used:

1. Head-to-Head
2. Conference Record
4. Strength of victory
5. Strength of Schedule
11. Coin toss

* Wild-Card tie breakers are also used to determine home-field advantage.

SOS changes from year to year and from team to team. Every year New England is a powerhouse but they looked lost out there for most of the game.

Houston is not that bad. They didnt show up againts the Jets but they should show up this week even against a tougher opponent.

If someone can predict games using SOS they would be millionaires.

Not so fast there hombre

NFL tiebreaking procedures

Within a Division
If two teams in the same division finish with identical records, the following tiebreakers will be used, in this order, until a champion is determined.

1. Head-to-Head
2. Division Record
3. Common Games
4. Conference Record
5. Strength of victory
6. Strength of Schedule
7. Combined Ranking Among Conference Teams (points scored and points allowed)
8. Combined Ranking Among All Teams (points scored and points allowed)

If three or more teams in the same division finish with identical records, the following tiebreakers will be used, in this order, until a champion is determined.

1. Head-to-Head
2. Division Record
3. Common Games
4. Conference Record
5. Strength of victory
6. Strength of Schedule
7. Combined Ranking Among Conference Teams (points scored and points allowed
8. Combined Ranking Among All Teams (points scored and points allowed

WILD-CARD

If two or more teams finish the season tied for one of the two Wild-Card berths, one of the following scenarios will apply. If the tied teams are from the same division, the divisional tie breaker above is used. If the tied teams are from different divisions, the following tiebreakers are used:

Two Teams

1. Head-to-Head
2. Conference Record
4. Strength of Victory
5. Strength of Schedule
11. Coin Toss

Three or More Teams

Start by eliminating all but the highest ranked club in each division by using the divisional tiebreaker above. After the field has been narrowed to no more than one team from each division, the following tiebreakers are used:

1. Head-to-Head
2. Conference Record
4. Strength of victory
5. Strength of Schedule
11. Coin toss

* Wild-Card tie breakers are also used to determine home-field advantage.

Yes - fair enough. That is absolutely right, and I had forgotten that, I was wrong, it is not meaningless. I've never heard of it ever coming into play (has anyone?), those other tiebreakers usually take care of it.

Still though, I'd like to think we're going to take care of business either way.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom