Student Paper Reports at Obama Event - "We need more white people!" (1 Viewer)

DadsDream

Dreaming of a SAINTS Super Bowl!
Reaction score
I love college newspapers. They come right out and say things that would make a mainstream paper editor cough and gag.

In this case, the young reporter faithfully recorded how a presidential candidate's handlers stage an event, right down to the race of the people in the background of the pictures.

So, here's to those young, bright-eyed, would-be journalists like Andrew Peters at Carnegie Mellon University's student newspaper, The Tartan. Keeping it real. :9:

THE TARTAN
Michelle Obama speaks at presidential rally in Skibo Gym
News | Andrew Peters

Only a week after her husband drew throngs to Soldiers and Sailors, Michelle Obama wooed a small crowd at Skibo Gymnasium on Wednesday.

Skibo’s risers were packed with community members and students from many of Pittsburgh’s universities. The rally was staffed by volunteers from a number of Carnegie Mellon student organizations, including Carnegie Mellon Students for Barack Obama, Student Senate, AB Political Speakers, and College Democrats.

Helping Students for Obama lead the crowd in cheers of “Ready to go” was Steve Sovern, a professional mediator from just outside of Cedar Rapids, Iowa, who got excited enough about the campaign to travel to Pennsylvania and rally for Mrs. Obama. Sovern, alongside student volunteers, built up a palpable excitement around Mrs. Obama’s speech.

“I’ve been here since 11 a.m. setting up and it’s been amazing. It feels like [Barack] Obama is coming,” said sophomore social and decision sciences major Rotimi Abimbola, a leader of Students for Obama who had only a few days to coordinate the event.

While the crowd was indeed diverse, some students at the event questioned the practices of Mrs. Obama’s event coordinators, who handpicked the crowd sitting behind Mrs. Obama. The Tartan’s correspondents observed one event coordinator say to another, “Get me more white people, we need more white people.” To an Asian girl sitting in the back row, one coordinator said, “We’re moving you, sorry. It’s going to look so pretty, though.”

READ MORE
The Tartan Online : Michelle Obama speaks at presidential rally in Skibo Gym

Wait, you mean those crowds we see standing behind the candidates are carefully staged to project a certain look!? Well color me jaded. :no:

Oh, they're as hand-picked as the perfect soldiers who get to stand behind the president when he speaks at a military base, I'm sure. With a nice, diverse mix, of course.

I'm willing to wager that the handlers who spoke those directions out loud where the students could hear it will not ever do it again. :hihi:

I'm willing to wager that the handlers who spoke those directions out loud where the students could hear it will not ever do it again. :hihi:

No doubt.

I just assumed it went on in a pretty obvious way, if not in a vocal way. Obama's handlers asking for "more white people." McCain's asking for "more black people." Clinton's handlers asking for "more willing people."

Actually I've noticed a trend with McCain of having younger people. Obama always has a stage full of white people behind him.

I haven't really picked up a trend with Hillary. Chelsea is there a lot but there seems to be a pretty wide variety of sex, race and type. I don't know that Hillary and her folks feel like there's a certain demographic to show that would help her at all. Her problems are about trust and honesty... maybe the host of Moment of Truth should stand behind her. :hihi:

I'm glad nobody's taking this as a criticism of the Obama campaign. If anything, it shows that the campaign is being run much like most other campaigns.

I did find the role reversal humorous though. It's almost a cliche that white candidates have for decades now made sure there were black folks in the picture and on their posters.

Oh, I'm sure the rabid right-wing media types will make a big deal about this little deal and scream to high heaven.

But, to me, it's oddly reassuring. It means a politician (and wife and handlers) are still politicians.

No doubt.

I just assumed it went on in a pretty obvious way, if not in a vocal way. Obama's handlers asking for "more white people." McCain's asking for "more black people." Clinton's handlers asking for "more Chinese money launderers."
Fixed it for ya!:mwink:

if they are tring to get the people that he needs more of then they should ask for more old people, more older latinoes, more old white women...lol...obama gets plenty of white votes, he just doesn't get the old white vote

No doubt.

I just assumed it went on in a pretty obvious way, if not in a vocal way. Obama's handlers asking for "more white people." McCain's asking for "more black people." Clinton's handlers asking for "more male castrates."

Fixed, version 2.0

Oh, they're as hand-picked as the perfect soldiers who get to stand behind the president when he speaks at a military base, I'm sure. With a nice, diverse mix, of course.

Say it aint't so!! And I had so much faith in the workings of random chance in the political arena:hihi:

Yeah, DD. Refreshing to see a college paper report what they saw with no apprehension and also that your post/thread was taken in the proper context. Thanks for the read.

I'm glad nobody's taking this as a criticism of the Obama campaign. If anything, it shows that the campaign is being run much like most other campaigns.

I did find the role reversal humorous though. It's almost a cliche that white candidates have for decades now made sure there were black folks in the picture and on their posters.

Oh, I'm sure the rabid right-wing media types will make a big deal about this little deal and scream to high heaven.

But, to me, it's oddly reassuring. It means a politician (and wife and handlers) are still politicians.

A sincere question: For a man touted as so radically different from the mainstream politicians we've all come to know and loathe, doesn't this hurt him? He can't be unlike all politicians while campaigning exactly like all other politicians, can he?

*I'm not advocating any other candidate by asking this. Just thinking out loud.

A sincere question: For a man touted as so radically different from the mainstream politicians we've all come to know and loathe, doesn't this hurt him? He can't be unlike all politicians while campaigning exactly like all other politicians, can he?

He wouldn't even have a campaign, muchless potentially win one, if he didn't play into the system to an extent. Most people understand and accept this.

*I'm not advocating any other candidate by asking this. Just thinking out loud.

I don't see it hurting him, so long as he keeps the message of "CHANGE" and keeps talking about being different from those in power for past eight years.

But, like I said, to be it's kind of reassuring that although his talk may be considered somewhat radical, the machine behind the facade is that of a US Senator from Illinois...carefully crafted image and spin merchants, one and all.

Wink and a nod. I'm cool with that.

Yeah, DD. Refreshing to see a college paper report what they saw with no apprehension and also that your post/thread was taken in the proper context. Thanks for the read.

You know, what I really thought was cool about the way they reported it was that they didn't take the racial handpicking thing and push it up to the top and make it the headline of the story.

No, the lead was that Michelle Obama came and talked at their school. The racial handpicking was four paragraphs down, and told as an integral part of the overall event. Once it was addressed, they moved on to a rather lengthy talk about the entire visit by Mrs. Obama.

But, reporting a behind-the-scenes moment like that, something that the candidate's campaign wouldn't like, was definitely a gutsy call. Cudos to the kids.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom